must... build... one... more.... ARCHTOP!

ajcoholic

• Members

Hey guys, I just got that Veritas tools "Pull shave" in this morning. I had a quick try with it on some scrap wood.... WOW! That thing is the cats ass - carves like butter, gives your hands something substantial to hold onto and I can see it being the primary tool in the carving process for sure.

Just in case you dont want to look back, its this thing:

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=390

It cost me about $140 Canadian, but its very well made (cast iron and brass with bubinga handles) and the place I got it from has a 3 month return, so if I didnt like it I would have returned it. Good tools last many lifetimes!

Now I really have to go, off for my 5 day holiday and break from the shop. Somewhat wich I could stay here and play with the guitar though.. but spending some time away with the GF will be nice too :)

AJC

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

Well, I know Frank is a master at what he does too, but hide does creep. And it is the easiest glue to release with heat that I know of - one reason it is so easy to work on instruments that used hide (and one reason so many vintage guitars have loose braces, tops, etc).

I do repairs and restorations on antique furniture... much of which was put together & veneered, etc with hide glue. There is a reason much of the stuff is falling apart today that was built 100 years ago.

Glues and all that stuff about damping vibrations, etc... I dont buy a lot of it - yes, that my personal opinion and I dont mean to get into an arguement about glues. But to me, its most important to have an instrument that will stay together for a LONG time...

Like finishes, I prefer my glues modern.

Personally my experiences with hide glue and heat are similar to Frank's. You might want to check this article out. The trick to hide glue is preparing it correctly. But it's worth the effort.

As for finishes, I pretty much abhor polyester and polyurethane. Might as well dip the guitar in plastic. Nitro is better..ages nicer and goes on thinner...crystalizes for a nice sound. But it can check in cold whether...it's difficult to repair, and it's dangerous volitile stuff to work with.

French polish for me. It might take a little more effort, but somethings in industry weren't invented because they created a better product, they were invented as a cost-cutting shortcut.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

As for finishes, I pretty much abhor polyester and polyurethane. Might as well dip the guitar in plastic. Nitro is better..ages nicer and goes on thinner...crystalizes for a nice sound. But it can check in cold whether...it's difficult to repair, and it's dangerous volitile stuff to work with.

myths.... "nitro" is easy to repair, and modern finishes like I use can be put on as thin, and get harder. Guitar building is full of myths... I only speak from my own personal hands on experiences being in the woodbusiness for most of my life.

• Members

French polish for me. It might take a little more effort, but somethings in industry weren't invented because they created a better product, they were invented as a cost-cutting shortcut.

I thought French Polish was supposed to be a "tone killer" ?

(i read that on these forums once)

• Members

Originally posted by Tezmond

I thought French Polish was supposed to be a "tone killer" ?

(i read that on these forums once)

All Martins built from before the mid 1920's were French polished...As were all violins and guitars built before the advent of spray equipment in the 1800's. Nitro was introduced in the 1920's as a labor saver in spray equipment.

Trust me it wasn't a "nitro-tone revolution" as much as it was a wood finishing labor saving revolution.

You can read up on different finishes again from Frank's site. French polish has the advantage of being easier to repair than nitro, more stable (it doesn't react to guitar stand rubber or sweat as much, and it doesn't check easily. It can also be applied thinner which lets the guitar vibrate more. It lasts longer than nitro...which is an unstable/reactive/flammable compound...

• Members

Gcapo.... I understand you have your preferences. Remember I too read a ton of guitar related material and combined with my own experiences have formed my own opinions. Most of which I base on my own building of electric and acoustic guitars, and working wood and finishing for years.

I dont want to turn this thread into a discussion of what finishes are "best" or what glue is superior or whatever...

I will be using a modern wood glue (in my case, white PVA) and a catalysed lacquer finish. No one will change my mind trust me..:)

AJC

• Members

Gcapo.... I understand you have your preferences. Remember I too read a ton of guitar related material and combined with my own experiences have formed my own opinions. Most of which I base on my own building of electric and acoustic guitars, and working wood and finishing for years.

I dont want to turn this thread into a discussion of what finishes are "best" or what glue is superior or whatever...

I will be using a modern wood glue (in my case, white PVA) and a catalysed lacquer finish. No one will change my mind trust me..
:)

AJC

Would a few... I dunno...pictures of ABE LINCOLN change your mind?:D :D

hmmmm? Think about it.

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

Just curious about your progress.

...and looking for an excuse to wish you happy holidays
:D

Hey, happy holidays to you too... I am again out of town (up at my GF's) and going back home tomorrow, but my band has a gig tomorrow night and Saturday, then Sunday is new years eve...

I wont get to start carving untill next week when I return to work/regular hours and life gets back to normal. I did watch the whole video and the carving of the top/back twice. I feel ready to go!

AJC

• Members

Hey, happy holidays to you too... I am again out of town (up at my GF's) and going back home tomorrow, but my band has a gig tomorrow night and Saturday, then Sunday is new years eve...

I wont get to start carving untill next week when I return to work/regular hours and life gets back to normal. I did watch the whole video and the carving of the top/back twice. I feel ready to go!

AJC

ps re guitar capo (who is now on my ignore list) my father told me repeatedly when I was growing up to watch out for people who always claim to "know everything" or are self proclaimed "experts"... as much as I like to chat and have a god natured discussion, even debate about stuff you bug me, bye.

Enjoy the downtime.

My oldest daughter told me your Tele was "pretty". She's six and into violin, so that may be coloring her perspective, but her next question was:

"Daddy, when are you going to get one like that?"

Atta girl :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by OrvilleGibson

Geez, cut him a little slack.
:)

You can easily put 100-140 hours into building an archtop by hand.

But when he does a solidbody in four hours, we expect great things! He's set a pretty high standard for himself, here :p

• Members

Perhaps you'd like for me to discuss the superiority of African blackwood over ebony fingerboards while we wait?

yeah, i'll listen in to that. i've tapped some blackwood fingerboard blanks vs ebony and found them to ring beautifully. tell us more...

• Members

I made a guitar the other day, I was gonna do a build thread but decided "{censored} it"

it was one of those grizzly kits

I replaced all the hardware with good {censored} and sprayed the finish myself

I used the nitro from ReRanch

first off, the owner of the place, Bob I think, is kind of a douche, I sent him an e-mail asking where something was on his site and got the response "oh, its somewhere"

kinda pissed, but whatever

I used their amber tint and satin laquer for the neck, came out beautifully, I even got some water slide decals and put my name on for the headstock logo! again, came out great

I wish I had some pics uploaded, but oh well, maybe tonight

I finished it in olympic white, I found nitro to be very easy to work with

at first I sprayed it on too lightly, and got a very rough finish, I was too afraid of runs, I went back and resprayed it with a thicker coat (trying to get wetness where the paint sort of sits on top and levels itself) came out great, used some polishing compound and its nice n shiny

I tried wiring a few months ago, REALLY hard, so I went to Acmeguitarworks.com and ordered a pre-wired guard with Fralin pickups

its great!

sorry for the hijack, but AJC you made me want to do this, thanks, it really isnt that hard!

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

I made a guitar the other day, I was gonna do a build thread but decided "{censored} it"

it was one of those grizzly kits

I replaced all the hardware with good {censored} and sprayed the finish myself

I used the nitro from ReRanch

first off, the owner of the place, Bob I think, is kind of a douche, I sent him an e-mail asking where something was on his site and got the response "oh, its somewhere"

kinda pissed, but whatever

I used their amber tint and satin laquer for the neck, came out beautifully, I even got some water slide decals and put my name on for the headstock logo! again, came out great

I wish I had some pics uploaded, but oh well, maybe tonight

I finished it in olympic white, I found nitro to be very easy to work with

at first I sprayed it on too lightly, and got a very rough finish, I was too afraid of runs, I went back and resprayed it with a thicker coat (trying to get wetness where the paint sort of sits on top and levels itself) came out great, used some polishing compound and its nice n shiny

I tried wiring a few months ago, REALLY hard, so I went to Acmeguitarworks.com and ordered a pre-wired guard with Fralin pickups

its great!

sorry for the hijack, but AJC you made me want to do this, thanks, it really isnt that hard!

Thats quite alright Hondro... I like you, you make me laugh.. :D

Keep it up dude!:thu:

As for me, tonight I actually stayed home and PLAYED guitar for a few hours instead of spending time in the shop. I will be starting to work on the archtop soon, promise... but even I need to do other things from time to time too ;)

AJC

Archived