must... build... one... more.... ARCHTOP!

ajcoholic

• Members

Originally posted by Verne Andru

I was looking into the Benedetto floaters when I did my first archtop. They're made by Seymour Duncan and everyone I spoke to said they are a very "odd" sounding pickup. Extremely expensive as well - they run close to $180 CDN and nobody stocks them in Canada. It's really hard even finding someone who will order them. I suppose you could get them from StewMac but they are pricey and be warned they are not considered the best sounding pups going.

I used a retail Kent Armstrong the first time out and it has a really nice, warm tone to it. I'm doing a 7 string this time around and, aside from Benedetto's with their issues, the only other source for a 7 string floater is from Kent himself. He claims they're miles better than the Korean made ones - which are great - so I'm looking forward to hearing his customs with great anticipation.

I look forward to watching your latest build thread. They are always extremely educational and fun.

Verne,

I truly appreciate your opinion, man! I will get back to this topic when I need to. How much does Kent charge for one of his?

AJC

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've got the custom Kent-made 14-pole PAFs in three of mine and i really like the sound. it can either float or be set-in. I also have the smooth top early Benedetto floater made by Kent which is not the greatest. truth be told, my favorite floater is the Bartolini 5J - wow, what a lovely sound. I just found out they will custom make a 7-string version of it too so i am thinking about getting one. Verne, have you tried it?

• Members

Originally posted by mikeSF

i've got the custom Kent-made 14-pole PAFs in three of mine and i really like the sound. it can either float or be set-in. I also have the smooth top early Benedetto floater made by Kent which is not the greatest. truth be told, my favorite floater is the Bartolini 5J - wow, what a lovely sound. I just found out they will custom make a 7-string version of it too so i am thinking about getting one. Verne, have you tried it?

Not yet. I just ordered my 7 from Kent yesterday so we'll see how that sounds before I look elsewhere. I must admit, finding 7-sting floaters has been quite a challenge and I just stumbled upon Kent thanks to Mr. Soloway. Who do you contact at Bartolini for theirs?

I seem to recall Kent mentioning they had designed the original Benedetto's, but that was a conversation from a few months ago and my memory has faded.

• Members

I like the idea of attaching the front to the back like Gretsch used to do with their "trestle bracing" Basically similar to a violin soundpost.

That and making the depth kind of shallow. A spruce topped guitar like that would be awesome.

Maybe you could make the trestle removable and installable through the F-hole for acoustic vs. electric applications.

• Members

Originally posted by jrkirkish

Finally!

And you can't use your patented angle-grinder method of making a carved top.
;)

Actually, you can. Tom Ribbekke does, and it's documented in a series of GAL articles called "Chainsaw Luthiery" (or something close to that). I like the term "petting the Doberman", used to describe the touch required.

Speaking of which, Ribbekke also has a model where he inserts a block under the bridge, similar to that trestle bracing condept GC mentions. IIRC, it is removable. Soundposts are great for violins because they're played with a bow which provides all the sustain you could want. Not so good for acoustics, but the convertible idea for an electric has some merit IMO.

Using a shallow depth and a spruce top, you've basically got a Benedetto "Benny".

• Members

Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!

is that a good source in the USA for wood, I find that unless you have something local you get gouged on wood pretty badly.

Excellent source. I've bought from them before for guitar and violin spruce, although they also have yellow and red cedars, too. They're a sponsor of the MIMF, and I believe it was Al Carruth who brought them to my attention. I still have a violin wedge set that I need to carve up, but I don't play violin, so what's the rush? :)

They ship fast, and it's well packaged. If you're used to buying from a lutherie supplier, you'll be a little surprised to see it in a rough, raw state instead of all nicely sanded, but it's all good.

Occasionally they have some great bearclaw spruce. Here's a crappy picture of a set I used on a dread with some moderate bearclaw. The nice thing about Alaska Specialty is that their grading is pretty conservative - this example is probably a AA from them, and it still has some nice silk to it.

frontRight.jpg

• Members

Hey guys, lots of good stuff going on here... hopefullymuch more to come. Keep any and all ideas coming, I appreciate any advice/comments from those who have done this before.

I dont think I will use the grinder for this one, I will try and hand carve it. I am either going to make my own curved sole wooden block plane, or buy something.

I was looking at this, from a Canadian wood working store Lee Valley (been dealing witht hem for years and they always come up with some cool tools)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=55065&cat=1,41182

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=390

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

Hey guys, lots of good stuff going on here... hopefullymuch more to come. Keep any and all ideas coming, I appreciate any advice/comments from those who have done this before.

I dont think I will use the grinder for this one, I will try and hand carve it. I am either going to make my own curved sole wooden block plane, or buy something.

I was looking at this, from a Canadian wood working store Lee Valley (been dealing witht hem for years and they always come up with some cool tools)

Why not THESE? 40 to 50 bucks each size

• Members

I know the electronics are a bit down the road, but you might want to consider doing an acoustic amplification treatment before you put the body together. A fully hollow archtop has a really nice acoustic tone that you can amplify with piezo's or - the current "best of breed" - the B-Band system. These require pickups to be mounted to the underside of the soundboard and it's much easier to do this before the body is together so you don't have to fish through f-holes. The blend of acoustic and electric pickups is the best. I did piezo's and a floating bucker on my first one but without a mixer. The new one I'll be using B-Band along with the KA and had Howard Davis design a blender circuit for it.

• Members

I know the electronics are a bit down the road, but you might want to consider doing an acoustic amplification treatment before you put the body together. A fully hollow archtop has a really nice acoustic tone that you can amplify with piezo's or - the current "best of breed" - the B-Band system. These require pickups to be mounted to the underside of the soundboard and it's much easier to do this before the body is together so you don't have to fish through f-holes. The blend of acoustic and electric pickups is the best. I did piezo's and a floating bucker on my first one but without a mixer. The new one I'll be using B-Band along with the KA and had Howard Davis design a blender circuit for it.

This would be sweet.

There's nothing like a little acoustic percussion to spice up that jazzy brown sugar.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Why not THESE? 40 to 50 bucks each size

Yes, those are nice... I've got a set of 3 of those, and they're really useful in the tight spots. Especially the smallest one. The largest one (palm plane) is OK, but I'd probably opt for one of those Japanese ones if I didn't make my own. The Hock iron kit is really nice...:

PRSmall.jpg

The shaves are cool, too:

carvingp.gif

• Members

I have Baggs I beam in one of my acoustics that goes into a Baggs Para DI and then into a BadCat 2-tone preamp on clean. It sounds just like a tube mike in front of the guitar without the feedback. You can feed it directly into the PA or an amp or whatever effects chain. Wonderful sound.

• Members

Damn, I cannot wait for this one!!!

I have played a few Benedetto's and I love them.

What are you considering for binding? I don't remember who made it, but awhile ago somewhere on this board I saw a hollowbody that had wood binding and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!!! I would definately have wood binding on a custom archtop if I had one made.

• Members

Originally posted by Greg_In_Michigan

Damn, I cannot wait for this one!!!

I have played a few Benedetto's and I love them.

What are you considering for binding? I don't remember who made it, but awhile ago somewhere on this board I saw a hollowbody that had wood binding and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!!! I would definately have wood binding on a custom archtop if I had one made.

ooh wood binding! my favorite. i picked flamed Koa for this one:

Palen_oblique.jpg

• Members

Today I ordered the Benedetto archtop plans, and the 4 DVD set. I will watch them over the holidays... and try and learn something.

I also ordered the Veritas pull shave. I think that will be the easiest (on the hands) way to carve the top and back.

Wood should be here any day, I will check the moisture content when it arrives and glue it up. then probably leave it for a week before I try and start carving. I have to make up my forms anyway, as well.

AJC

• Members

This is definitely going to be an awesome thread. Building a full hollow will definitely be a challenge worth going through, especially if you're going for a Benedetto style. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

I once read a thread on another board by a former Gibson Nashville employee, and the way he described building ES's and such was awesome. I wish I had patience/facilities to build on my own, that's probably why I love these threads so much.

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

I am a self employed custom wood worker. Mainly build made to order furniture, cabinets, custom staircases & other millwork, etc. Been at it full time since graduating college in 95' but I grew up in the shop all my life. My dad was a huge influence in the way I think and approach life in general.

It was my father that encouraged me to try and build my first guitar back in the mid 80's when I was in high school.

He is 76 and just got over (hopefully) battling cancer for the last 14 months.

This one is going to be for my dad!
:)

AJC

you sound like a commendable fellow.

• Members

I got my wood in today! Measured 8%-9% moisture content. I will let it sit in the shop for a few weeks I think and it shoudl settle down to 6 or 7%.

The back set is awesome, almost a shame that its a "back" and not a top. But the sitka is perfectly quarter sawn and nice tight growth rings.

The DVD's are here tomorrow and before I do anything I want to watch them... at least the first one.

AJC

Archived