Anyone else greatly dislike brian may?

mike.sartori

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course Freddie defined any live Queen show, but I think that if Brian had died and not Freddie, Queen would have been just as gone, probably moreso to me as a guitarist. Apparently I'm in the minority, but I find the Queen + Paul Rodgers stuff pretty good. There are some songs that just wouldn't fly with anyone but Freddie, but PR handles alot of them quite well.

• Members

My first thought when I read the post title was "Is that even possible?". God tone + Fantastic playing + ultra memorable solos.

On another note I agree that Freddy was the best part of Queen, but in all fairness to Brian, Freddy would be the best part of any group he was put into.

• Members

Inadmissable. One does not have to produce in order to criticize. That said, Brian May is one of my favourite guitar players, and I entirely disagree with the OP.

Well, this is a guitar forum and we're all players (I hope), so I would think that we'd be impressed with ANY PLAYER who has better skills than we do, no matter what genre. That's what separates a professional from an amateur. A professional recognizes that they can learn from just about anyone.

• Members

You're gonna have to show proof of that claim.

I'm going to have to show you brian may playing my songs? - I don't think the guy is talentless - but I am not impressed; I find him less impressive than other guitarists. Why should I be impressed with EVERY guitarist who is better than me? If that's what the new kid is supposed to do; sucks for him! He can't decide that Godsmack sucks before he can master the wah solo in a godsmack song?

• Members

I'm going to have to show you brian may playing my songs? - I don't think the guy is talentless - but I am not impressed; I find him less impressive than other guitarists. Why should I be impressed with EVERY guitarist who is better than me? If that's what the new kid is supposed to do; sucks for him! He can't decide that Godsmack sucks before he can master the wah solo in a godsmack song?

I think he meant, play your own songs better.

• Members

Ignoramus.

So you're saying every kid out there that can shred faster than him is a better guitarist than he is?

Then there's saying that you're better than a very successful guitarist, notably the only guitarist in a band, just because you think you can play a Godsmack solo, WITH A WAH, better than he can.

Shove off.

• Members

There are plenty of guitarists that I don't particularly care for (you hit on one of them ^^), and I've been to many shows and have watched the warm up band thinking, "Dang. Is that all it takes to play guitar in band opening for Metallica?"

But they are out there gettin' it done. No matter what I think of them, they have my dream job (sort of) and I'm sitting in the bleachers. So they must have connected with somebody somewhere along the way, and for that, I respect them.

When they abuse their position by disrespecting or insulting their fans, then I get pretty critical. I hate paying $75 for a concert ticket and some {censored}wad musician decides that it's entertainment for them to assault me with their lame political views.

• Members

There are plenty of guitarists that I don't particularly care for (you hit on one of them ^^), and I've been to many shows and have watched the warm up band thinking, "Dang. Is that all it takes to play guitar in band opening for Metallica?"

But they are out there gettin' it done. No matter what I think of them, they have my dream job (sort of) and I'm sitting in the bleachers. So they must have connected with somebody somewhere along the way, and for that, I respect them.

When they abuse their position by disrespecting or insulting their fans, then I get pretty critical. I hate paying $75 for a concert ticket and some {censored}wad musician decides that it's entertainment for them to assault me with their lame political views.

Thanks doc. I have been screaming this very rant for ever.

And, O.P. Not a good idea to post when you are drunk.

• Members

Hey Mike....?

Do you Greatly dislike this?

If you do, I will stop trying to convince you of ANYTHING.

Because if so, there is simply no hope.

Because THAT is MUSIC my man!!!!

So what if it isnt anything that you or I couldnt probably easily play ourselves?

It is just GOOD!

• Members

Of course Freddie defined any live Queen show, but I think that if Brian had died and not Freddie, Queen would have been just as gone, probably moreso to me as a guitarist. Apparently I'm in the minority, but I find the Queen + Paul Rodgers stuff pretty good. There are some songs that just wouldn't fly with anyone but Freddie, but PR handles alot of them quite well.

Hey, I went to a lot of Queen shows when I was a kid and loved every one of them. That being said, I was totally impressed with the Queen and Paul Rodgers' show as well. I think Paul's range is nearly equal to Freddie's, although with more of a rock edge to it, and I liked hearing their old songs with a less operatic top on them-fresh air to me-and doing some of Paul's songs in the show was an added bonus, and the addition of a keyboards player and extra guitarist made the whole experience even better. Paul and Brian were using the catwalk like a couple of kids, too, just all over the place and very obviously having the time of their lives-maybe 'cause us Canadians in Vancouver are such a ROCKIN' GOOD AUDIENCE! LOL!

I am off track here, though. Of all the pro players out there that I love, and there are a lot of them, Brian May's style is still THE ONE that I would want to get closest to in my playing. If you can't relate to his playing, it's a shame!

-Mikey

Archived