What one guitar would recommend people not buy?

whatever

• Members

Don't tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about unless you've checked your facts.

He says his BC Rich Warlock sounded like {censored}. He doesn't say BC Rich guitars sound like {censored}. You are twisting his words and taking what he said out of context.

If he thinks his signature model mockingbird sounds like {censored}, why does he use it? Why doesn't he use an Ibanez, or a Jackson, or a Charvel instead?

He uses BC Rich guitars in the studio to record songs that use whammy bars.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

btw: here is a quote from a 1992 Guitar World interview from Slash but DocJeffrey will probably just ignore this

Slash, I understand that B.C. Rich recently made a custom guitar for you.

I've never told this story in an interview, but my very first guitar was a mahogany, neck-through, B.C. Rich Mockingbird with Bill Lawrence pickups. It was great. I had it for a long time, but I hocked it during my drug trip, and I'll never forgive myself for doing that. I didn't play a Rich for a long time after that. But one night I was down at the Cathouse [an L.A. club] and a friend of mine told me he had a Mockingbird for sale for $150. I bought it from him and started using it. B.C. Rich heard that I was using one of their instruments, and was stoked, so they made me four different models. I ended up keeping only one, because I'm a real stickler for tone and general guitar sounds. If there's one thing wrong with one I won't use it. But I really like the one that I kept. I'm using it a lot now. I haven't done an endorsement deal with them, but they seem happy enough that I'm using one of their instruments.

• Members

Slash said that when GNR were recording Apatite, he had a BC Rich Warlock. He was listening to the basic tracks that he had laid down and said to the producer that his guitar parts sounded like {censored}. He needed a Les Paul, but he didn't have any money. His manager arranged to get him one. The full story is in this month's Guitarist (UK).

Imagine what Apatite would have sounded like with a Warlock

If Slash had a Les Paul it still would have been "Appetite for Destruction" Maybe you need "Appetite for Dictionary" :cop:

• Members

This is my original post:

"Slash said that when GNR were recording Apatite, he had a BC Rich Warlock. He was listening to the basic tracks that he had laid down and said to the producer that his guitar parts sounded like {censored}. He needed a Les Paul, but he didn't have any money. His manager arranged to get him one.

The full story is in this month's Guitarist (UK).

Imagine what Apatite would have sounded like with a Warlock"

How am I twisting his words?

• Members

and a friend of mine told me he had a Mockingbird for sale for $150. I bought it from him and started using it. B.C. Rich heard that I was using one of their instruments, and was stoked, so they made me four different models. I ended up keeping only one, because I'm a real stickler for tone and general guitar sounds. If there's one thing wrong with one I won't use it. But I really like the one that I kept. I'm using it a lot now. I haven't done an endorsement deal with them, but they seem happy enough that I'm using one of their instruments.

No, I won't ignore it. But that interview is 15 years old, and he sent back three of the four BC's because they didn't sound good to him.

The discussion was about the Warlock. I simply pointed out what Slash had to say about them in a recent interview. If it offends you, don't blame me. Blame Slash.

• Members

No, I won't ignore it. But that interview is 15 years old, and he sent back three of the four BC's because they didn't sound good to him.

The discussion was about the Warlock. I simply pointed out what Slash had to say about them in a recent interview. If it offends you, don't blame me. Blame Slash.

Doesn't matter if it's 15 years old. He obviously likes BC Rich Mockingbirds or else he wouldn't have used them on stage for the past 15 years. He used a Mockingbird on stage in Guns N Roses for "You Could Be Mine", he then used it on "The Truth" and "The Alien" with Slash's Snakepit, and he currently uses it with Velvet Revolver for "Sucker Train Blues"

It's obvious that he doesn't like the Warlock that he had around the time Appetite was recorded but he *did* like the BC Rich Mockingbird that he had, and he *does* like the Mockingbird that he uses on stage.

You made a statement claiming that he doesn't record with BC Rich guitars. Completely false. Obviously he likes BC Rich mockingbirds and doesn't like the Warlock that he used when he played with Black Sheep.

• Members

If Slash had a Les Paul it still would have been "Appetite for Destruction" Maybe you need "Appetite for Dictionary"
:cop:

OK, so I spelled appetite wrong. Actually, I spelled it apetite, and my auto spell software changed it to apatite, which is a mineral. So what does this have to do with the conversation?

• Members

Doesn't matter if it's 15 years old. He obviously likes BC Rich Mockingbirds or else he wouldn't have used them on stage for the past 15 years. He used a Mockingbird on stage in Guns N Roses for "You Could Be Mine", he then used it on "The Truth" and "The Alien" with Slash's Snakepit, and he currently uses it with Velvet Revolver for "Sucker Train Blues"

It's obvious that he doesn't like the Warlock that he had around the time Appetite was recorded but he *did* like the BC Rich Mockingbird that he had, and he *does* like the Mockingbird that he uses on stage.

You made a statement claiming that he doesn't record with BC Rich guitars. Completely false. Obviously he likes BC Rich mockingbirds and doesn't like the Warlock that he used when he played with Black Sheep.

My post was about the Warlock. I mentioned it twice. I never said anything about a Mockingbird.

The OP asked which gear you wouldn't recommend. Several people mentioned the Warlock. I remembered reading the article in Guitarist. I simply reported what Slash said. I've never played a BC Rich. I don't even know the difference between a Warlock and a Mockingbird. Personally, I could care less.

• Members

I am a metal guy and I'm gonna come right out and say it -- that {censored} just sucks donkey balls, and little shriveled hairy ones at that. There is no "getting it." The vocals suck and it has ruined metal. It is the POSER music of the moment for the Hot Topic generation. It's either emo or death metal. Blast beat drummers all sound the same. There is little tonality to the instruments. There is little originality. You will grow out of it, I promise. Thank god that {censored} is starting to fade out some. It's weak and predictable. I find it as ghey as emo anymore. Fake machoism at it's worst. It reallyis just noise. The next phase in metal is just going to be static, that is all that is left, with farting for vocals and you will think that is brutal too. Blast back all you want, I've been in flame wars for a few years on that style and you can't defeat me. Most people who argue later will admit that they grew out of it. I mean, I went through a brief hair metal phase back in the 80s (very brief). We can't all be perfect.

There is a fake elitism to lovers of death metal. It's like an exclusive club of "we get it and you don't" but what they don't understand it is that we do get it -- we get that it sucks. We don't have to prove how hip, cool, brutal, and different we are to our friend by liking something that really just isn't good. I think lots of kids go through it.

But I like stuff that hasn't progressed since about 1975 anymore, so what do I know.

And I would not buy a sub $200 Ibanez RG series (to the point of the original post).

• Members

I am a metal guy and I'm gonna come right out and say it -- that {censored} just sucks donkey balls, and little shriveled hairy ones at that. There is no "getting it." The vocals suck and it has ruined metal. It is the POSER music of the moment for the Hot Topic generation. It's either emo or death metal. Blast beat drummers all sound the same. There is little tonality to the instruments. There is little originality. You will grow out of it, I promise. Thank god that {censored} is starting to fade out some. It's weak and predictable. I find it as ghey as emo anymore. Fake machoism at it's worst. It reallyis just noise. The next phase in metal is just going to be static, that is all that is left, with farting for vocals and you will think that is brutal too. Blast back all you want, I've been in flame wars for a few years on that style and you can't defeat me. Most people who argue later will admit that they grew out of it. I mean, I went through a brief hair metal phase back in the 80s (very brief). We can't all be perfect.

But I like stuff that hasn't progressed since about 1975 anymore, so what do I know.

And I would not buy a sub $200 Ibanez RG series (to the point of the original post).

Huh? you don't realize that these guys have been around since the late 1980's and are nowhere near hot topic/mallcore crap?

f you're going to bash something, be informed about it.

EDIT: I took a look at your band. Nice tones going on there. What about this though?

Influences

Modern Metal/Hard Rock: Tool, Deftones, Godsmack, Chevelle, A Perfect Circle, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Tantric.

you're far more likely to encounter fans from those bands in a hot topic than you are suffocation fans.

• Members

I don't know about what not to buy.... but I'll tell you what not to sell.

I got rid of a '96 Blueshawk.... been kicking myself in the ass since.

I sold my 96 and a bunch of gear to pay doctor bills. I whined and moaned about for a couple of years till somebody traded it in at the local M&P. My wife, tired of hearing about it, handed me the checkbook and shoved me out the door.

Maybe you'll get yours back.

• Members

One guitar that I would not recommend is a Squire Strat Mini (one of those made in Indonesia guitars) for kids and beginners.

They are just fine if you are already a player and you know what you're getting into, but a lot of people buy those thinking that they would be good for their kids to learn on.

I made the mistake of buying one for my son when he was 7. The electronics are crap, and the pickup selector was gone within a week. The tuning is completely unstable. It comes with .009's which are impossible to work with considering the short scale. The fret ends will shred a kid's left hand in short order, and the threaded legs that hold up the bridge saddles, and the saddles themselves have such sloppy tolerances that the whole bridge collapses after a few minutes of playing.

Any one of us could fix most of the problems with about $10 worth of parts, but parents who don't know anything about guitars and buy these for their kids are likely to do more harm than good if they want their kids to get excited about playing the guitar.

• Members

There is a fake elitism to lovers of death metal. It's like an exclusive club of "we get it and you don't" but what they don't understand it is that we do get it -- we get that it sucks. We don't have to prove how hip, cool, brutal, and different we are to our friend by liking something that really just isn't good. I think lots of kids go through it.

I've been a death metal fan since 1991, not to follow the trends, but because I enjoyed the music. There ARE elitist types among the fans, but most of the ones I know are the most open minded people I've ever met. There are elitist types in all genres of music, be it the blues snobs, jazz snobs, whatever. So you don't like, that is fine, but the fans and bands play/enjoy death metal for the same reasons you enjoy, say, doom metal (which I also love), because they like the music. All the fashion/imagery just goes with the music. It's entertainment. Alice Cooper, Kiss, David Bowie, all had images and fans who mimiced that, same thing here in a modern context with the metal kids. I am 30 and still listen to death metal/Grindcore, etc. on a daily basis. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. And there is originality in death metal my friend, it just takes more than a cursory listen to understand what is going on. It requires the listener to invest a little bit of time to digest, but it can be very rewarding.

And no I do not exclusively listen to metal, I am open to all genres except most rap. It's all good as long as it sounds good.

• Members

Actually, Suffocation pretty much pioneered that sound, they have been going for a long time. I am not into death metal much nowadays, but if i listen to it, i prefer to listen to the classics: Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Nile etc.

I'm well aware they pioneered that style of death, but it's incredibly tedious to listen to.

• Members

One guitar that I would not recommend is a Squire Strat Mini (one of those made in Indonesia guitars) for kids and beginners.

They are just fine if you are already a player and you know what you're getting into, but a lot of people buy those thinking that they would be good for their kids to learn on.

I made the mistake of buying one for my son when he was 7. The electronics are crap, and the pickup selector was gone within a week. The tuning is completely unstable. It comes with .009's which are impossible to work with considering the short scale. The fret ends will shred a kid's left hand in short order, and the threaded legs that hold up the bridge saddles, and the saddles themselves have such sloppy tolerances that the whole bridge collapses after a few minutes of playing.

Any one of us could fix most of the problems with about $10 worth of parts, but parents who don't know anything about guitars and buy these for their kids are likely to do more harm than good if they want their kids to get excited about playing the guitar.

The one I played sucked pretty hard, roughest neck I've ever played

I'm probably going to get flamed for this one, but, les paul studio. Every one I've played was {censored}. Actually, I lied. There was a blue one with brushed silver hardware that was alright, even though I hated the neck profile. However all the other ones were {censored}ed. Scratchy pots and switches that only worked intermittently, poorly filed fret ends that cut your hands, bad fret crowning/polishing jobs, sticky finishes with serious flaws. Well the VM is exempt from the last, but it sucked otherwise so its its not a big deal. I wouldn't even bother with one if I was after a les paul, used tokais and lp classics are much much more appealing

Archived