Instead of IQ, Post your GQ (Guitar Quotient)

GAS Man

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No it aint, but anyway...

10 guitars (counting acoustics) totaling 346 years, I'm 50

GQ = 346/50 x 100 = 692

Did I do that right?

10/50 = 20 !

and, (although I probably should have said "mental age" instead of "intelligence age")

"What Is "IQ"?

It was also observed that the gaps between children's mental ages and their chronological ages widened as the children got older. The 6-year-old with the mental age of 8 had a mental age of 12 by the time he was 9 and a mental age of 16 by the time he was12. Similarly, the 6-year-old with a mental age of 4 had a mental age of 6 when he was 9 and a mental age of 8 when he was 12. In 1912, the German psychologist, William Stern, noticed that even though the gap between mental age and chronological age widens as a child matures, the ratio of mental age to chronological age remains constant (and, as we will see, remains essentially constant throughout life). This constant ratio of mental age divided by chronological age was given the name "Intelligence Quotient". Actually, the intelligence quotient is defined as 100 times the Mental Age (MA) divided by the Chronological Age (CA).

IQ = 100 x MA/CA."

Fun read

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

• Members

10/50 = 20 !

and, (although I probably should have said "mental age" instead of "intelligence age")

"What Is "IQ"?

It was also observed that the gaps between children's mental ages and their chronological ages widened as the children got older. The 6-year-old with the mental age of 8 had a mental age of 12 by the time he was 9 and a mental age of 16 by the time he was12. Similarly, the 6-year-old with a mental age of 4 had a mental age of 6 when he was 9 and a mental age of 8 when he was 12. In 1912, the German psychologist, William Stern, noticed that even though the gap between mental age and chronological age widens as a child matures, the ratio of mental age to chronological age remains constant (and, as we will see, remains essentially constant throughout life). This constant ratio of mental age divided by chronological age was given the name "Intelligence Quotient". Actually, the intelligence quotient is defined as 100 times the Mental Age (MA) divided by the Chronological Age (CA).

IQ = 100 x MA/CA."

Fun read

Well, slap my in the belly with a wet fish, I stand corrected. I don't know my IQ (Mensa won't tell me for fear I'll sue them, how's that for a collective brain trust?) but it was always my understanding that IQ is based on population as much as it was intelligence. I thought genius was the top 1 percentile (about 140) and if you were the last person on the planet, you would have an IQ of 100 by default. I have no idea how I came by this misconception.

I'm a little unclear on the concept of Mental Age.

• Members

Well, slap my in the belly with a wet fish, I stand corrected. I don't know my IQ (Mensa won't tell me for fear I'll sue them, how's that for a collective brain trust?) but it was always my understanding that IQ is based on population as much as it was intelligence. I thought genius was the top 1 percentile (about 140) and if you were the last person on the planet, you would have an IQ of 100 by default. I have no idea how I came by this misconception.

I'm a little unclear on the concept of Mental Age.

Nah, you're not wrong. IQ tests today are deviance from baseline scores. The Mental Age formula is only used for children.

• Members

Got it.

"The 6-year-old who performed as well as the average 8-year-old was assigned a mental age of 8,..."

If an average is part of the equation, then so must be population. How can you determine what is average without IQ testing? How can an IQ test be developed to determine an average if an average must be predetermined?

• Members
Got it.

"The 6-year-old who performed as well as the average 8-year-old was assigned a mental age of 8,..."

If an average is part of the equation, then so must be population. How can you determine what is average without IQ testing? How can an IQ test be developed to determine an average if an average must be predetermined?

You can never find the true average for a population, only for a representative sample of it.

• Members

Got it.

Wiki always has all the answers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

• Members

Nah, you're not wrong. IQ tests today are deviance from baseline scores. The Mental Age formula is only used for children.

Good point - it caused me to go googling again. I think I can probably still assert that I had the "original definition or description" correct, but it has evolved and this Wiki reference supports your statement and makes sense that a std deviation would need to be employed.

"Because age-based quotients only worked for children, it was replaced by a projection of the measured rank on the Gaussian bell curve with a center value (average IQ) of 100, and a standard deviation of 15 or occasionally 16 or 24. Thus the modern version of the IQ is a mathematical transformation of a raw score (based on the rank of that score in a normalization sample; see quantile, percentile, percentile rank), which is the primary result of an IQ test. To differentiate the two scores, modern scores are sometimes referred to as "deviance IQ", while the age-specific scores are referred to as "ratio IQ". While the two methodologies yield similar results near the middle of the bell curve, the older ratio IQs yielded far higher scores for the intellectually gifted

• Members

timing is everything (sometimes)
:o

I only knew the answer because one of my brothers gives an IQ test as part of his job, and we've "debated" the validity of the results over the years.

Edit: BTW, you weren't wrong. Just as Roy wasn't wrong, either. The Mental age based tests and scores are still used by most school systems to determine "special needs".

• Members

Good point - it caused me to go googling again. I think I can probably still assert that I had the "original definition or description" correct, but it has evolved and this Wiki reference supports your statement and makes sense that a std deviation would need to be employed.

"Because age-based quotients only worked for children, it was replaced by a projection of the measured rank on the Gaussian bell curve with a center value (average IQ) of 100, and a standard deviation of 15 or occasionally 16 or 24. Thus the modern version of the IQ is a mathematical transformation of a raw score (based on the rank of that score in a normalization sample; see quantile, percentile, percentile rank), which is the primary result of an IQ test. To differentiate the two scores, modern scores are sometimes referred to as "deviance IQ", while the age-specific scores are referred to as "ratio IQ". While the two methodologies yield similar results near the middle of the bell curve, the older ratio IQs yielded far higher scores for the intellectually gifted

• Members

4(including acoustic)/19 * 100 = ~21

With my four guitars, assuming I have four guitars next year, my GQ will be the 20, same as my age, next year. Will my head explode if I don't buy/sell???

Using the years we've been playing formula thingum:

4/10 * 100 = 40

I feel so much smarter :D

Archived