Tele question

falsethreats

• Members

I've finally decided on getting myself a Telecaster, however I've been looking around and don't know which one I should get. At this time, my budget is about 200 dollars. Right now, these are the Teles I'm considering:

Squier Affinity Series Telecaster Special

Squier Standard Telecaster (plus a gig bag with either Standard or Affinity)

Squier Telecaster Custom II w/ P90's

Douglas WF-150 TA

Not sure what other companies makes decent Tele copies. Any suggestions?

I like to play heavy rock styles like punk and metal. But, I've recently started playing blues and opening up to other styles. I especially like playing rhythm on the Squier Telecaster (whenever I'm at Guitar Center). Lead playing is alright, but I prefer playing lead on my Aria Pro II Urchin. I found absolutely no reviews on the Douglas WF-150 TA. Is there anyone here who has one? Is it any good? Better than Squiers?

• Members

Only real problem I have with Squier Teles is that a lot of the regular parts out there won't fit exactly. They are also a little thinner than real teles.

As for the Rondo offerings, the biggest problem I had with them was that the neck radius was like 12". The best part of a tele is the neck and if it isn't even close to the same then it isn't worth buying IMHO.

Like someone else said though I would save up another $50 and look for a sale on a new MIM or a good used one. I got a new MIM from GC for right around $300 earlier this year. Deals are out there, you just have to be patient and look around. You also have to jump on it when its there because it won't last long.

The MIM teles are a lot of guitar for the money.

• Members

I found my perfect Tele about 10 years ago after trading up and down for years - Fender AmStandard - black w/maple -

My first one was a Fender MIM Tele Standard that I still miss all of the time - It played great, stayed in tune, and sounded fantastic. I sold it because I thought I could do better (and I think I did - but) -

Play the guitars yr looking at - For about $350 I had a great little guitar that I gave up because it wasn't USA.

MIM's can be really swell if you find one that feels right.

(Not a fan of Squire's if you want a real player that you'll want to hold on to).

Play. You'll get where yr yr going. Be patient.

• Members

I'm also in the market for another Tele and I played about 15 the other night at GC. I also looked at the Jay Tursers.

I have decided to go custom again but this time I'm not going to build it. I have a quote coming from Fender's custom shop. All I want is an American Standard but the body has to have the Strat belly cut and arm bevel. I have NO idea why nobody makes those.

-Mc

• Members

I'm going to suggest something radical: Build it yourself! Teles are incredibly simple, and you can get bodies, necks and parts from a huge selection of vendors and have a guitar that's unique and is exactly what you want. Here's mine (crappy picture, good guitar!)

100_2904.jpg

• Members

I'm going to suggest something radical: Build it yourself!

I built my first one. Best guitar in my arsenal. I need another and want it done the same way - by someone else. :) I don't have the time anymore...

I'm waiting on quotes from Fender and Kurt at Rondo for the exact same thing. Leaning towards Fender.

-Mc

• Members

I'm also in the market for another Tele and I played about 15 the other night at GC. I also looked at the Jay Tursers.

I have decided to go custom again but this time I'm not going to build it. I have a quote coming from Fender's custom shop. All I want is an American Standard but the body has to have the Strat belly cut and arm bevel. I have NO idea why nobody makes those.

-Mc

Look into Bacchus:

6f7a_3.JPG7010_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Bacchus-Nagano-Japan-Tele-Blk-oil-finish-Great_W0QQitemZ320159436346QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

35a5_1.JPG3721_1.JPG3504_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-model-Bacchus-Japan-Tele-NAT-Ash-Oil-finish-Great_W0QQitemZ230193059361QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Archived