The "PEDALS YOU'VE BOUGHT BUT BARELY USE" Thread

GAS Man

• Members

Toadworks Mr Ed Protoype, Protone Pipedream, Danelectro Shift Daddy, Jacques Fuseblower, Fender Blender, Womanizer, Ubermetal, H&K Warp Factor ... damn I have waaaay too many pedals - thats just the top of the unused pile. Don't ask for the complete list ...

I like my Fulltone '70, Expandora II, Hao Sole Pressure & Rust Drive ... and maaaybe the Hot British ... DL-4

I think I need a decent amp!

Where did you buy a Mr. Ed prototype from? I don't recall selling one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Boss DS-1 because it is the worst distortion pedal I've ever played

Would agree its not much cop on guitar (except as a solo booster) but it sounds fab on bass. Just my recommendation to bring some ds1s out of retirement :thu:

I have a marshall vibratrem that i hardly used until i got a powerall and now it seems to work better so gets more use (although none live as yet), also have a JD wah from a friend who sorta quit playing guitar that i can never seem to get my head around.

• Members

Boss Compressor/Sustainer. Always thought I'd want it for the heavier OD/dist sound, but I found that even when I'm playing high-gain, I prefer the natural decay of the note. It's also a bit hissy. I might get it upgraded to an Atom Smasher, but for now it just kinda sits there.

I've noticed a lot of people aren't using their chorus pedals. I find a lot of use for mine on bass. It makes an electric blend well with acoustic guitars, and adds a little extra shimmer that's good for slower stuff. My CEB-3 is a pretty subtle example; other choruses I've tried go far more synth-y then this one can, good for Rush and similar sounds.

• Members

My MXR Dyna Comp...

I use it, but as little as possible. I love compression pedals, but after having the Keeley for a week everything else sounds bad - but I don't want to drop two bills for the Keeley at this point). I use the Dyna Comp as little as possible...

• Members

My Boss Metal Zone has been gathering dust since the day I bought it. I've tried every way I know how and I still can't get anything resembling a usable tone out of that thing.

I'm probably the exception to the rule, but my chorus pedal (Boss CH-1 Super Chorus) stays on all the time. Just a smidge -- just enough to open up the sound, but not enough that anyone would recognize that a chorus was being used.

Funny how what sounds lousy or mediocre in the bedroom suddenly sounds fantastic on stage or in rehearsal...I love my Barber Direct Drive but I could never really warm up to the Barber silver LTD until I took it to practice and fiddled with it just a bit. Now that's the core of my sound: Strat, compressor, LTD, chorus, and an occasional bit of delay.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Boss DS-1 because it is the worst distortion pedal I've ever played.

I bought a DS-1 a couple weeks ago and I thought it sucked so bad I had it on eBay the next day. I had considered modding it but I hated it so much I couldn't imagine any mod removing what I didn't like about it. I found a nice spot on the tone control where the tone was good but no gain setting made it pleasant. Maybe it's best used with a single coil/low output pu? I have an EMG 85 and it sounded like when you turn the factory stereo in your car up way too loud. Just blown-out muddy low-end and brittle highs. Definitely not a metal pedal. I wasn't even trying to get a metal sound but in front of my Triaxis and into the 2:90 alone I couldn't find a sound I liked out of it.

On the other hand... I bought a Boss GP-20 Amp Factory off eBay and I was very unerwhelmed by it. I tried it direct as I do with a Digitech Genesis 3 for recording to PC. It was OK. Since I'm a nut I plugged it into the Genesis 3 and used it like an overdrive pedal. I was expecting a horrendous sound having just chained 2 digital pedals together but I was pleasantly suprised. Not sure I'll hang on to it but I think with some tweaking it could be very useful. I tried it briefly into my 2:90 and a cab with little to remark about. I haven't tried it yet into the Triaxis as an OD though. I think with the results I got with the Genesis 3 it'll be a nice sound though.

• Members

I'll start off -

These are pedals I don't necessarily want to part with, after all, they don't take up much space in my world, but they usually sit idle.

In order of most neglect:

1) Boss Flanger - too wild for me, the occasional flanging I may want I can get from my AD60VTX or my ToneLab

2) DOD Grunge - To me it's good for a few laughs and then box it back up. Now made by DigiTech

3) Boss Metal Zone - This one I actually need to play with some more since it's been a while, but it seemed a bit over the top and didn't sound particularly organic to my ears. I'd use it more if there was such a thing as backing off the gain on this thing so I could just use it as a EQ boost, but no go on this extreme machine.

Everything but my ProCo Rat II.

I love that pedal.

Archived