How much do you pay for a setup?

ert

• Members

...aside from doing it yourself?

I just took my tele in and it came back to me with a stiff kick to the balls cost of $130.

Granted, he did re-solder all of the electronics (it had a grounding issue i couldn't figure out), leveled the frets and gave it a complete overhaul, but damn! :eek:

• Members

hmm, i guess that it was a pretty decent deal then.

i thought it was a bit high, but on the upside it plays absolutely phenomenally now as well. I got it back and couldn't stop playing for 5 hours.

it just seemed like alot for me on a $300 guitar, but the tech seemed to really like it.

• Members

hmm, i guess that it was a pretty decent deal then.

i thought it was a bit high, but on the upside it plays absolutely phenomenally now as well. I got it back and couldn't stop playing for 5 hours.

it just seemed like alot for me on a $300 guitar, but the tech seemed to really like it.

A good setup, especially a good fret level, can make cheaper guitar play way beyond its monetary worth.

• Members

Typically, it cost me about $40 plus strings for a setup. That would only include things like truss rod and saddle height adjustments, intonation and a general cleaning of the body, neck and frets. The things you describe like soldering and fret leveling would add considerably to the price as they take time and a certain degree of knowledge and skill. Resoldering all the electronics in addition to a setup would be similar to rebuilding the guitar and would probably take a couple of hours to do right. If a good job was done, then you were probably billed accordingly. However, the luthier should have let you know this up front so you wouldn't get shocked.

Additionally, I've never known a luthier to charge more or less based on the value of the instrument. The work is the same whether it's a Jay Turser or an authentic '56 Gold Top.

• Members

A good deal, since it included a fret level. And it was apparently well-done, since the guitar plays so well.

It often pays to have a good pro setup done the first time, and then do the minor tweaks such as intonation, pickup height, and truss rod adjustment yourself for any subsequent changes. I wouldn't choose to do a fret level myself. It would cost me too much in tools and time. That may change, based on MindRiot's posts.

• Members

demand QUOTES
ahead
of repairs..

and get three quotes from 3 different sources (if possible)

unless....of course u have money to burn
:D

i hear ya. the problem is i described everything i needed done and he quoted me $30 for a basic set up and another $50 for the level, fixing the ground problem and flipping my control plate around. I told him to call if it was going to be much more than the $80 he stated.

dont get me wrong, he did a great job and i am very happy, i was just expecting $80. :rolleyes:

• Members

i hear ya. the problem is i described everything i needed done and he quoted me $30 for a basic set up and another $50 for the level, fixing the ground problem and flipping my control plate around. I told him to call if it was going to be much more than the $80 he stated.

dont get me wrong, he did a great job and i am very happy, i was just expecting $80.
:rolleyes:

no...this sorta thang gets a rise out of me

he SHOULD have given full quote and STUCK by it

and presumably he never called ya?

well he should have if he was going to go above quote...

i have sympathy for ya but oh well...live n learn..

rock on :thu:

• Members

Being quoted a price and then being charged a higher price is being ripped off.

That's a {censored}ty thing to do.

Me, I would have gone ape{censored} on the guy then write a check and cancell it on the way home.

Other than that, the price you paid for that amount was very good.

Archived