High end alternatives to Gibson ES-335 - Poll!

Jkater

• Members

After so many threads on this subject, I thought we are ready for a poll.

I kept the choices to some of the real high-end alternatives*** (as opposed to the affordable stuff that floods the market). The line was difficult to draw because I don't pretend to be the judge of where that line is. But I allowed my self to draw this line anyway using, not only my experience, but also the input of other forum members on these threads to come up with this list. I would like to ask you to make use of the "Others" option (which, we all know is gonna win this poll hands down) for whatever you feel should have been there. Please, vote for the specific model ( example: an Ibanez AS-120 is not an AS-200 so that would be "others").

Thanks for participating !

JKater

*** EDIT : In the course of this thread being participated to, I was reminded that "real high end" really does means something else. My apology.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But none of these are really "high-end" alternatives. Plus, the 333 isn't even made anymore. There are guys out there like Ribbekke that make great variations on the 335. The Kammerers (sp?) may fit in this category as well.

C-4 kills me with that picture everytime. What a beautiful instrument that is.

The Johnny A is a VERY good guitar, but good luck finding one. I hear they're backordered.

• Members

I personally went with the Heritage.

H535a.jpg

000011.jpg

But I admit that it's more a matter of taste than anything. It just felt and sounded sweeter to me than the Yamaha or Ibanez, which are also very nice guitars.

Did not try any Gibson, though (too expensive here), nor the Epiphone Elitist.

• Members

Originally posted by Pascal

I personally went with the Heritage.

H535a.jpg

000011.jpg

But I admit that it's more a matter of taste than anything. It just felt and sounded sweeter to me than the Yamaha or Ibanez, which are also very nice guitars.

Did not try any Gibson, though (too expensive here), nor the Epiphone Elitist.

That's a pretty guitar, Pascal....I like it lots! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

There is no REAL alternative to an ES-335.

That's crazy talk! My Yamaha SA2000 smokes a 335! I played dozens of Gibsons before settling on my Yamaha. Mine is a seventies, and has the pickups replaced with Duncans. I agree that the electronics are better in the Gibson's. However the resonant quality of the Yamaha is FAR superior! Also the hardware, such as the bridge and the stock tuners are outstanding! Also, I don't know if it's just mine but the fingerboard on my SA2000 is over a 1/4 thich slab of ebony! My guitar tech says this is what make the notes leap off of this guitar more that ANY Gibson! Maybe mine is an annomilly. I'll post a pic whn I get a chance. I played a gig sitting in for a guy last night with the Yamaha and it was a common accolade that my tone was the best they had heard in quite a while.

• Members

I think you get the best bang-for-your-buck with a Yamaha.

With the American made guitars like Heritage or Gibson, all the extra $$$ is higher labor costs. The union woodworker who does initial construction, the union electrician who wires the guitar, the union laborer who assembles it, the union shipping clerk who packs it and puts it on the truck driven by the union truck driver.... you get the idea. I try to buy American-made products whenever possible. But I've just about given up when it comes to guitars. The only quality North American guitars that are still affordable are Godin, which are only 'assembled' here, but the parts are manufactured in Canada... which is fine by me. That's why I bought one and will probably buy another in the future.

• Members

I own a '60 335 that I have posted pics of in the past.

I had a reissue Gibson and it sounded (and weighed) more like a Les Paul than a 335. Not that this is a bad thing, if you wanted that sound - but it wasn't very 335 sounding.

I have a Heritage 535 and it has a ton of flame and was less than 1500.00. It is great and I would reccomend it over any newer Gibson or other brand.

• Members

Originally posted by gtrmaestro

That's crazy talk! My Yamaha SA2000 smokes a 335! I played dozens of Gibsons before settling on my Yamaha. Mine is a seventies, and has the pickups replaced with Duncans. I agree that the electronics are better in the Gibson's. However the resonant quality of the Yamaha is FAR superior! Also the hardware, such as the bridge and the stock tuners are outstanding! Also, I don't know if it's just mine but the fingerboard on my SA2000 is over a 1/4 thich slab of ebony! My guitar tech says this is what make the notes leap off of this guitar more that ANY Gibson! Maybe mine is an annomilly. I'll post a pic whn I get a chance. I played a gig sitting in for a guy last night with the Yamaha and it was a common accolade that my tone was the best they had heard in quite a while.

I used to play with a guy that had one. It was a very good guitar. It wasn't a 335 though. He still lusts after the real thing.

I'm sure you like it and it's a very nice guitar, but it's a little disingenuous to say I'm talking crazy while at the same time claiming your Yamaha is better than "ANY" Gibson.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I'm sure you like it and it's a very nice guitar, but it's a little disingenuous to say I'm talking crazy while at the same time claiming your Yamaha is better than "ANY" Gibson.

Well, a Yamaha SBG2000 blows away just about any Les Paul I've ever heard.

Exception to the rule?

• Members

Ok, then how 'bout any Gibson made after '67 good enough?

I've not played a Gibson of any count made after that. I live near Gruhn guitars, SamAsh music, and Guitar center so I have a rather large pallete to choose from. I would say my Yamaha would stand up next to an original first or second year 335 ANY day! And if he's got an old SA2000 and still wants a Gibson, he's got a dud or is just after a name, and name's have nothing to do with tone.

• Members

Originally posted by gtrmaestro

I would say my Yamaha would stand up next to an original first or second year 335 ANY day! And if he's got an old SA2000 and still wants a Gibson, he's got a dud or is just after a name, and name's have nothing to do with tone.

Agreed! :)

• Members

Personnally, I dislike the kind of talk that invalidates or insults other peoples opinions. It's OK for GCDEF to say " there are no REAL alternatives to a Gibson ES-335". By that, he simply expresses his choice of guitar and That's OK for God's sake!

This is NOT a Gibson bashing thread...

• Members

Originally posted by GretschGuy

I own a '60 335 that I have posted pics of in the past.

I had a reissue Gibson and it sounded (and weighed) more like a Les Paul than a 335. Not that this is a bad thing, if you wanted that sound - but it wasn't very 335 sounding.

I have a Heritage 535 and it has a ton of flame and was less than 1500.00. It is great and I would reccomend it over any newer Gibson or other brand.

I completely agree on both points; the new Gibson 335's are too heavy and don't feel the same, and the new Heritage's are the best new guitar you can get in this style.

As far as price goes, the Tokai 120 (I think that's the model) is probably the best bang for your buck guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Paul Buerk

But none of these are really "high-end" alternatives. Plus, the 333 isn't even made anymore.

You are refering to that "line" (between mid-range and high end instruments) that I mentionned in my first post. What I meant with high end is an instrument over $1200 that compares with a regular production Gibson ES-335 and is usable and reliable as a professionnal instrument. I am not asking "which one is better than a Gibson ES-335?" because Gibson ES-335 themselves range in quality from the occasional lemon put to shame by any of the above choices to incredible, fabulous guitars that are worth every penny no matter how expensive they are.

Basically, I am simply asking people : If you want a good semis that is not an ES-335, which one of those would you pick? I also focused on a similar price range ($1000-$1500). So the great semi-hollows from small builders were simply left out for that reason.

Originally posted by Paul Buerk

C-4 kills me with that picture everytime. What a beautiful instrument that is.

+ 1000!

( and C-4's got a nice case for it too!)

• Members

I had a MINT condition 1969 Gibson es335, literally had never been played. I bought it from it's original owner who had never learned to play it.

I much prefer my 1995 Ibanez AS-120 Artstar. Better tone, better feel and I can buy many of them for the price of that Gibson.

dw

• Members

For full-sized guitars I like the Heritage 555 - Because you can often get it for close to the used price of a 535.

For smaller guitars there's the Heritage Millennium series and the Hamer Newports and Monacos. I have a Monaco Superpro and a Millennium H-155. They're both great guitars. But I'm keeping my 335.

Archived