High end alternatives to Gibson ES-335 - Poll!

Jkater

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought a 1970 Yamaha hollowbody (ES 335 style) guitar about 15 years ago from a pawn shop for $300.00. It is in dead mint condition. It is a natural maple finish. It has the nylon roller bridge and a trapeeze tailpiece.

The serial # is stamped into the fingerboard(not ink but actually stamped into the wood of the 22n'd fret). It has rounded corner parrallellagram fret markers and a headstock shape I've never seen on any other Yamaha guitar. I've never been able to find another guitar like this one. I contacted Yamaha's Vintage expert at theit website and he said he thinks it was an SA 30 But every SA 30 I've seen had a bigsby and a different headstock.

I do believe this one to be one of the first Yamaha 335 copies built.

It is a dream Guitar and is one of the few that I've used that can be set up perfictly ( by this I mean the action is flawless and the intonation is correct anywhere on the neck).

My brother has a Gibson ES 335 that he bought new in 1978.

He was studying classical guitar in college at the time and was on a serious guitar aquiring binge.

The Gibson is a wonderful guitar. So is the Yamaha. They are considerably different in both sound and feel.

I really couldn't choose one over the other in terms of "better"

If I HAD to choose I'd have to say the Gibson because "It's a Gibson" and I'm a pack follower that way.

• Members

Originally posted by jhall

I bought a 1970 Yamaha hollowbody (ES 335 style) guitar about 15 years ago from a pawn shop for $300.00. It is in dead mint condition. It is a natural maple finish. It has the nylon roller bridge and a trapeeze tailpiece.

The serial # is stamped into the fingerboard(not ink but actually stamped into the wood of the 22n'd fret). It has rounded corner parrallellagram fret markers and a headstock shape I've never seen on any other Yamaha guitar. I've never been able to find another guitar like this one. I contacted Yamaha's Vintage expert at theit website and he said he thinks it was an SA 30 But every SA 30 I've seen had a bigsby and a different headstock.

I do believe this one to be one of the first Yamaha 335 copies built.

It is a dream Guitar and is one of the few that I've used that can be set up perfictly ( by this I mean the action is flawless and the intonation is correct anywhere on the neck).

My brother has a Gibson ES 335 that he bought new in 1978.

He was studying classical guitar in college at the time and was on a serious guitar aquiring binge.

The Gibson is a wonderful guitar. So is the Yamaha. They are considerably different in both sound and feel.

I really couldn't choose one over the other in terms of "better"

If I HAD to choose I'd have to say the Gibson because "It's a Gibson" and I'm a pack follower that way.

I like this post a lot!

• Members

I apologize for my offer of my CS 356, as it cost me $3,500, being a special custom order. I thought you wanted high-end alternatives to a 335, which is why i mentioned it. I have had Gibson Custom Shop 355's and a Heritage 35 Special which was a 335 style Heritage with all the extra stuff, but I just find this 356 to be the end for semi-s for me. It also has a thick ebony board. The 336 has a rosewood board.

I ordered the first Calton case made for this style of guitar and it took several attempts to get it correct, but it sure has a snug fit!

gibson356_2.jpg

lespaul_es335.jpg

This photo is a poor shot (sorry, but it was shot in 1972) of one of my three ES 355 Custom Shop Gibsons built in Kalamazoo in 1971 to 59 specs, except that I ordered it with several custom options.

Sitting next to it is a Custom Shop '59 LP Standard with a matching finish.

I still prefer the 356 to the 355 for it's tone, comfort and response.

• Members

I sure am glad you posted it! I don't get tired of looking at that CS356. You have amazing guitars. It's nice to see another Calton case. I have three made for me and there are no words to describe how perfect those cases are (albeit heavy!).

I realise that my use of the term "High-end" may have been somewhat improper when one looks at the whole spectrum...

Sorry about that. I guess the term "alternatives" would have sufficed to describe the few models suggested in the poll. I find very interesting to read the results of the poll and I'm thankful for the nice participation.

My beloved Yamaha didn't do too badly in the poll, either. It may fit more in the "middle" than any other "end" but it scores very high in my book! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by C-4

I ordered the first Calton case made for this style of guitar and it took several attempts to get it correct, but it sure has a snug fit!

gibson356_2.jpg

I can't imagine a guitar case that matches the quality, efficency and beauty of a Calton case. They're expensive but if you have flown five times, it's already paid itself off by probably saving your guitar five times from possible damage.

I have three Calton cases. Here are two of them specially made for my beloved acoustics : a Larriv

• Members

If I had the money to buy an ES-335 but wanted to buy an alternative to it I would probably go with something vintage, even if I had to save up a little bit more.

Epiphone Al Caiola

Gibson ES-330

Gibson Trini Lopez

60s Guild Starfire IV or V

Maybe even a late seventies Moonstone

• Members

I have a Heritage "Blues Deluxe" it is about the same size as a Gibson - 336. Its build quality is just awesome. I put a set of Rio Grande BB-Q Buckers in it and I love this guitar. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Heritage. :D

• 6 months later...
  • Members

i am personally so into ibanez guitars...

the as200 would be my top choice..

can do a lot of tones and is very expressive..

the bridge tone may be somewhat hallow sounding but if u hav enough gain then you're in sustain heaven!

the neck pickup is all about jazz man..

the trisound switch is to me subtle sounding except the lowest position which gives u a very fat sounding tone..

i wud definitely recommend this guitar

especially the early 8O's models..

the lawsuit era!

• Members

I have the Hamer Newport. While it is the best guitar I have ever owned, it isn't a copy of the the 335. It can get you pretty close but it is definitely its own guitar not a copy of anything. I like it better than any 335 I have ever owned or played.

One the lower end of the spectrum, the Korean made Hamer Echotone is a wonderful 335 copy.

• Members

Hi have all three guitars.

The Yamaha is by far the better build quality...by far...it is a little stiff in the sound but the coil taps work better on the semi than on mySG2000. The flame and vintage burst is excellent. It is new and needs playing in. It is about my 4th one.i keep letting them go but then hanker for another. They have all been built well.

The 336 sounds good.Nothing like a 335......much more like a step nearer to a Les Paul than a 335. Plays well but has build issues..most of them rectified with a fret-dress , a corectly cut nut and the f-holes sanded so they don't slice your finger off. It is very powerful and will sweeten up as the top loosens up.

The 335 is a 63 re-issue in cherry.......I got a good one and it plays, sounds and looks fantasticl. Even the finish is the right period finish and not garrish red. It is so sweet sounding. One night i put a set of 11's on it and that was IT! Suddenly the top started to really vibrate with the note and it just came alive that night. I use 11's on all my guitars now except Tele's. I have had about 6-7 335's including 60's and 70's ones but this 2003 model is the best I have owned.

Personally, and only talking about my guitars, they rank 335, Yammy, 336.

• Members

The Samick rl5 is a sweet guitar for about 700 bills. Quilt maple top, mahogany body, single cutaway semi hollow. I have one and I put in Seth Lovers and it sounds sweet. Samick is really making some great stuff for the money. After a pro set up and replacing the pickups it probably ran me about a grand, tops with tax and all!!! Almost a third of the cost of a new 335 and I will put it up against any 335 in terms of tone and sustain and just plain sweetness. It can also roar when it has to especially through my fender deluxe reverb!!

• 11 months later...

Archived