Hondo Les Paul

MaxVolume

• Members

My grandfather has a Hondo Les Paul that I am 99% sure I am getting.... does anyone have details on it? I think it's made in Japan? Also, I read reviews that say it is built as tough as a tank, but not heavy like one. I REALLY liked this guitar when I played it, but Dad (who KNOWS a few things about guitars.) says that Hondos are made in China. Are they? I'm so confused. :freak: It is also coming with a hardshell case. I just need some details about it.

• Members

There were some Hondo's made in the same Japanese factory as the Tokai's. I think they said Hondo Professional II on the headstock. But I think the majority of the Hondo's were made elsewhere, not in Japan. Go read the HC guitar review database for more info... Good luck.

You know what, it doesn't matter where it was made. Get it and figure out if YOU like it. And chances are great that you will, b/c your grandpa is giving it to you. Just enjoy it.

• Members

The confusing part with these 70's and 80's (and onwards) knockoffs are that, very often, they did indeed use several suppliers/factories from different locations to supply their guitars. And quite often the quality varies from one to the other supplier!

Main thing here is whether you'll play it and love it... the rest is just details on paper. ;)

Hope the guitar serves you well for many years.

• Members

Hondo guitars were made in Japan until 1983. Those were the good ones, some came stock with usa DiMarzio pups. After 1983 production went to Korea then after 93 or so Taiwan and China. JB player replaced the hondo name in 2005.

My Lazer has a US DiMarzio Super Distortion. Mine was originally white and is now pearl white. (Hint of pink).

So maybe mine's an MIJ Hondo?

I heard that all the red Lazers are MIA and that's why they command the higher prices. Is that true?

• Members

I have a Hondo LP gold top guitar, dates from around 1974. I love it - one of my favourite guitars. I bought a genuine Gibson LP several years ago from a friend (who offered a good price) but I didn't like it 1/2 as much as the Hondo so I sold it on.

I hope you can get your grandfather's guitar - it will very probably be MIJ, if not MIK, certainly not MIC - that happened much later. I cannot be sure, but I think the MIJ guitars were made by the Matsumoku factory who produced very high quality guitars indeed.

Here is a little history about Hondo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_%28guitar_company%29

• Members

I actually have a ply Hondo les paul guitar. One of the cheaper ones by all accounts...

But i love it and play it more than my other guitars. Its a bent ply 'carved' top so it has a hollow area under the top and a 'solid' ply back. I think that the hollow area gives it a distinctive sound, sort of more acoustic. I put some good pickups in it and use it in my Jazz band. I really do love this Hondo, and im sure you'll love your grandfathers too. Just assume it'll need a setup before it plays nice/really nice though.

... oh one more thing, i found that the pole spacing on the pickups that came on mine were closer together than a normal humbucker (it came with single coils stuck into a humbucker cover) which also meant that the string spacing on the bridge was narrower too. But a new bridge sorted that out. Just something to look for.

• Members

I believe Hondo's were mij to begin with. Then mik. Where they're made now is anybody's guess. If the name exists anymore.

How old is your Grandad's Hondo?

I really don't know. I can e-mail him and ask. I do know that it's pretty and I'm going to get pics of it up. It's got a lot of battle scars, but for $15, what do you expect? I'm sure he would know. He bought it used from a friend. He told me to get a package from his closet in the basement (Where a couple of his guitars sleep. That's where I found the Hondo, untuned and out of its case.) I asked him about it and he said that I could tune it up and play it. So I did.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It CAME! My grandfather surprised me this evening with it. It plays EXCELLENT. I'm happy! I'll take some pictures tomorrow when there's good light.

Hey MaxVolume. I'm pleased for you - hope you enjoy that guitar. I told you they were good.

• Members

I have a Hondo LP gold top guitar, dates from around 1974. I love it - one of my favourite guitars. I bought a genuine Gibson LP several years ago from a friend (who offered a good price) but I didn't like it 1/2 as much as the Hondo so I sold it on.

I hope you can get your grandfather's guitar - it will very probably be MIJ, if not MIK, certainly not MIC - that happened much later. I cannot be sure, but I think the MIJ guitars were made by the Matsumoku factory who produced very high quality guitars indeed.

Here is a little history about Hondo:

I've got a Hondo II LP special style, single cut 2 hum, flat top, made of solid woods in stripes a bit like an alembic. I was told it was made in 78, so according to the wiki article that would make it japanese, possibly with dimazio p'ops right?

Theres no country of origin label, just a sticker on the back with (I'm at work so from memory) something like H147 on it. There's nothing on the back of the p'ups, is there a way of IDing them?

I'll post picks if I get a chance

• Members

i my first good guitar was a hondo II les paul copy, that i got in '84 and it was a couple of yrs old. it was a decent guitar, the neck was nice and thin, had a real low action, and the pu's sounded pretty good (don't know if they were dimarzios, but they had a good sound).

i think i sold that b/c i wanted a strat, so i got a hondo II strat.

but thinking back to the hondo II LP-it was a good guitar for the money.

i think mine was a red sunburst,

good luck!

s---

• Members

Don't know much about 'em . . .

My uncle has one, and YES they are built like bloody tanks !

Don't like the flat top though - the only thing that made me buy an Epi LP over it, because he told me way back then, i can gave the guitar as my 1st electric, and the flat top just did not look like the curves of Slash's LP's, so i gave it a skip !

Have to admit, it was one of the most beautifull cherry-bursts that i have seen to date !

But it is FLAT . . . just can't get my head around it !

Funny that, as i am getting a MM next month !

WEIRD

;)

Archived