Show off your Michael Kelly

nevermind

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Patriot Custom. First really "good" guitar I purchased when I started playing again. I wasn't thrilled with pickups at first but the more I play it the better I like them. What threw me was they were "colorless" ... I guess is the best way to describe them. The more I listen to them the more I realize they sound very open like the Seth Lovers. The coil taps are neat but the tapped tone is more acoustic-like than tele-like so they're cool that way.

pict2043xh1.th.jpg pict2075ow3.th.jpg pict2042ip7.th.jpg

I am thinking about putting some pickup rings on it. Those holes for the pickup tangs always bugged me. Chrome or black? Binding is too white for creme rings and neither one really looks right.

pict2057zl0.th.jpg pict2070sq0.th.jpg pict2072fn1.th.jpg

• Members

While I was fussing with the pickup rings I gave the trussrod a tweak and set the string height. 3/32" measured off the 12th fret with 10's and no buzzes. I'm a rhythm player so I don't go up the neck much, but I thought I'd see how low it could go. Really, these guitars are nearly in Gibson's league. I know I'll take some grief for that but the guitar is awesome and heavy.

• Members

Man some of the Michael Kelly's posted here are sweet! I'm tempted to go and pick one of these up for X-mas now, I need to see if GC has any first though. They're pretty cheap on ebay, $499 with free shipping and a case for the really nice ones.

• Members
My MK Hybrid I scored at GC for $125 at a scratch and dent sale!

85q25pi.jpg

OH! Jealousy could make me hate you!
I've been gassin' for one of those, but never seen one cheaper than 400. and want to try one first before I spend that much - a 125. I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.
Anyway - it looks sweet!

• Members

Will have had mine for 2 yrs this Christmas. Honeymoon still hasnt worn off,and its still my #1 go-to. I hope to add a Spalt top Custom,a Hybrid and a Valor this yr coming. The rest of my guitars have been collecting dust ever since I got this.
100% reliable,still looks like new,sounds,plays,sets up and stays in tune great.

patqfullfront.jpg

patqfrntangle1.jpg

patqfrnangl2.jpg

Spot-on assesment of the Rockfields-very Seth Lover/PAF- like. Fantastic cleans and even better hi-gain tones.Yall can keep your Epis, and other Gibby copies-this is where it's at. Bang for the buck,Ill put this one up against most LPs made nowdays any day of the week.

• Members

OH! Jealousy could make me hate you!

I've been gassin' for one of those, but never seen one cheaper than 400. and want to try one first before I spend that much - a 125. I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

Anyway - it looks sweet!

I had not been in a GC for nearly 12 years or so and never heard of MK. This was the first guitar I had seen walking into the store. I went in looking for a beater and walked out with another keeper. It was also the first new guitar Id ever bought, and again, hadnt bought any equipment since the early 90's.

The thing is amazing and very versatile. Check ebay as Ive seen them bottom out at $300 and in fact, there is a bin auction for $300 and $30 shipping with a gig bag as I type. You can get a great twang and overdrive out of it as well as the acoustic feature. Just dont expect an unplugged large hollowbody sound out of it. These things are about the size of a Tele all around and very light weight. Great fit and finish all around. Im very happy with it and would have paid $300 for it having now owned one.

• Members

Some band I saw last nigt had a Hybrid MK. playin this acoustic fingerpicking and then just wailed solos in lead mode. There's 2 cords and one goes to an amp and the other to a board mixer or power speaker

the hybrids come with a cable that allows you to use two outputs at one time with two separate tones from the guitar. You can use both the humbucker and internal acoustic pickup which I believe is a peizo type pup sending a different signal at the same time. Since mine was a floor model as is sale, I didnt get the cable. Regardless, the feature is built into the guitar so a replacment cable can be had on ebay.

Sorry if that sounds confusing,

Ive barely slept in 3 days now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived