Pickup Ugrade for a Epiphone G-400

burton4snow

• Members

I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90, Alnico II Pro, and 59. I'm not sure what woud be good for the thin body of the SG. I would really like to put the Phat Cats in there but I'm afraid it will be too bright. Does anybody have any opinions or have done a pickup upgrade with there SG and have had success? Also I should mention I use effects processors for distortion, because I'm in a little room and my Pro Jr. was louder than I expected before it breaks up. That might make a difference on what pickups I should choose. I'm not sure!

• Members
I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90, Alnico II Pro, and 59. I'm not sure what woud be good for the thin body of the SG. I would really like to put the Phat Cats in there but I'm afraid it will be too bright. Does anybody have any opinions or have done a pickup upgrade with there SG and have had success? Also I should mention I use effects processors for distortion, because I'm in a little room and my Pro Jr. was louder than I expected before it breaks up. That might make a difference on what pickups I should choose. I'm not sure!

For less money than the Phat Cats(which don't have much P90 vibe to begin with) you could get a pair of HB-sized P90's from our own Brian @BG Pickups. And you can choose different magnet materials and possibly windings to create a pickup that would be less bright if that's your choice. I believe alnico IV is less bright than II or V but you could confirm with him. His stuff has gotten raved about here so far. And a discount for HC members.

• Members

For less money than the Phat Cats(which don't have much P90 vibe to begin with) you could get a pair of HB-sized P90's from our own Brian @BG Pickups. And you can choose different magnet materials and possibly windings to create a pickup that would be less bright if that's your choice. I believe alnico IV is less bright than II or V but you could confirm with him. His stuff has gotten raved about here so far. And a discount for HC members.

I didn't find the one that was like a P-90 is it the hellabucker?

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the stock pickups on mine:

HPIM0783.jpg

They really do sound very good. I have played the above guitar in all kinds of situations and it has never let me down, as is.

You know the more I play them the more I am starting to like them! They really sound good through my RP250. Better than my PearlyGates on the heavier rock stuff. I think I might keep the guitar as is. After all I'm just a room rockstar and really don't need the cream of the crop. The only ones listening are my dog, cats and bird and they have expressed that they like my tone. Thanks for helping me see the light and saving 300 bucks!

• Members

What do you not like about your tone now?

I think the better idea would be to shape your tone with something other than the RP250.

That RP250 sounds better than my PodXT through the Fender pro junior, to me at least. So don't sell that thing short. I like having a variety of things to work with without having to constantly tweak knobs. I always think about getting a tube amp with low enough wattage to get the breakup distortion at lower volumes for the room I'm in, but then your really only getting a few tones. Where with the multiply effects processors you have unlimited tones at your finger tips and the tube amp really warms up the digital sound. I have a/b my pro jr. with my roland cube 30 boy what a difference. I would never suggest using the processors through something solid state.

Archived