favorite overdrive

vanderwaal

• Members

got a $50 GC gift card for christmas and i've been thinking about a new overdrive pedal. seem to be a lot of options in the $50 to $70 range. i know, "go try them for yourself and get the one you like" and i will but i'd kinda like to know what you guys like in this price range. and no, i'm not interested in how bad a $50 to $70 pedal is gonna sound compared to your uber expensive boutique pedal. any suggestions?

• Members

roots rock, heavy alt. country, classic rock type stuff. mainly rhythm guitar. i'm not much of a lead player. i have a dano daddy-o and fab overdrive. both good pedals but i'd like to try something else. was looking at the DOD 250 reissue but i'm open to suggestions.

• Members

I have a DOD 250 reissue and my opinion of it is really irrelevant. Truth is I have about a dozen assorted overdrives and in front of any of my four tube amps they ALL have at least some redeeming qualities depending on what volume and gain I'm running the amp at and what guitar I'm using, how I'm setting the guitar, etc.

Basically I've gotten out of the habit of even bothering to switch pedals around anymore. For the last six months I've had a Bad Monkey and a Marshall Jackhammer on my board and it's all the knobs I can deal with as I constantly switch between different guitars and amps. There's a ton of good tones in those two singly or in tandem. I'll eventually get around (again) to swapping some other pedals in that mixture but my experience has been it won't matter a lot because there's a lot of good tones in any OD pedal if you tweak it to match your other gear and playing style.

• Members

sorry, meant to include that. it's a carvin bel air. love it's clean sound and the overdrive, sorry - they call it "soak", channel is ok but i'd like to try a pedal in front of it. there are mods that can be done to make the "soak" channel better but before i go spelunking through it's innards i think i'd rather go the pedal route.

• Members

Try out the Boss super OD...don't remember what they call it letter wise, but it's yellow. I got one not long ago after trying many and along with the Fab overdrive (which you already have) it's my fave.

yeah, i was reading some reviews of those. is that the SD-1? i think it is. i love that cheap ass little Fab overdrive. at first i thought it was too dark but with the right amp it is a bad ass little pedal.

• Members

They all interact with different amps and guitars so differently. What works for you with one rig might not with another. You've really got to try them out with a setup as similar to what you use as possible.

Around that price you're just looking at the standard options...Boss, DOD, Digitech, Ibanez, EH. A big box store should have most of them for you to test drive. All I can say is DON'T get a Boss DS-1 whatever you do. Worst. Pedal. Ever. :D

• Members

I really like the DOD 250, it's super basic a great sounding. I also really like the Ibanez TS-9, probably the most classic OD of all time, and it works great with just about every guitar and every amp. That might be a bit above your price range, unless you can find a used one at GC, but I've heard that the TS-7 sounds almost identical, it just has a cheaper construction. The Digitech Bad Monkey is a tube-screamer clone, but it definitely sounds cheaper to me than the real Ibanez. It's worth trying out though. Boss Blues Driver is nice too, if you can find a used one.

• Members

Vanderwaal - Monroe, LA huh? I grew up in Monroe, LA. My mom still lives there.

I love the DOD-250 - I picked up a DOD YJM308 for about $20. If you can find one that would leave $$ for another Dan-o pedal. The 308 is about the same as the 250 - supposedly a little closer to the original "Gray box" sound.

• Members

Vanderwaal - Monroe, LA huh? I grew up in Monroe, LA. My mom still lives there.

I love the DOD-250 - I picked up a DOD YJM308 for about $20. If you can find one that would leave $$ for another Dan-o pedal. The 308 is about the same as the 250 - supposedly a little closer to the original "Gray box" sound.

hey walt. yeah, funroe. just got back about 6 months ago. been in exile in frozen yankee hell for 6 years. good to get back to some decent food and no snow.

seriously considering the 250. reviews seem to backup what everybody here is saying. guess i need to find one locally and check it out.

• Members

sorry, meant to include that. it's a carvin bel air. love it's clean sound and the overdrive, sorry - they call it "soak", channel is ok but i'd like to try a pedal in front of it. there are mods that can be done to make the "soak" channel better but before i go spelunking through it's innards i think i'd rather go the pedal route.

I have the fully modded BelAir. I have a Bad Monkey that sounds pretty decent but I highly recommend getting the mods done. The soak channel sounds great on mine and I really don't use the Bad Monkey much at all anymore.

Archived