Who makes the best digital 8 track?

dilldorrow

• Members

I'm inclined to agree with blima...I have a Roland VS840 studio, and it's limitations are a constant headache. At the time I bought it, computer recording wasn't nearly as easy as it now, but times have changed. With only 8 tracks to work with, my drum mixes are a major hassle and bouncing tracks can be a risky proposition. I still can't believe bands like Queen recorded Bohemian Rhapsody with so few tracks...not to mention having to loop tape over coat-racks in order to get delay.

We're currently saving up gig money so we can switch to recording on a Mac...I want unlimited tracks!!

• Members

Find a used Yamaha AW16G. Very good machine.

Also, keep in mind that some brands of this type of machine may say 8 tracks, but may only have 2 inputs.... I would recommend something with at LEAST 8 inputs.... the AW16G has 8 inputs... one of them is a HiZ for direct instrument in. 2 dedicated built in effects processors, dynamic and eq controls on all input channels and playback channels, 16 channel playback 8 mono 8 stereo, built in mixdown and mastering capabilities, punch in punch out.... dang it its just hella good for a machine of its kind and you can get a used one for your price range. It also has a cd burner plus much much more... buy now and we'll throw in a vegematic at no additional charge.....

Question: Why do you want a machine like this? What will it be used for? Why don't you look into a computer option?

• Members

I forgot to mention. I own a BR-8 now. I wonder how any of these would compare. I love the machine, but I would like something that I could burn CD's with or at least bounce to a computer to make a CD.

You can download a program from Boss for the BR-8 that lets you convert the format of the BR-8 to .Wav format. You need a ZIP laufwerk (english?). That's easier than transferring in real time. I have a Br-8. I use it very rarely anymore because with a computer and a fairly cheap program like Cakewalk Guitar tracks pro ot the like. You can record just as good and have a nice screen for edting, etc. The Br-8 is there for its portability.I rarely use it although some of the vocal effects are really cool. The chipmunk is hilarious.

Archived