"I really don't mind if you sit this one out" - But Jethro Tull s/b in the R&R HOF!

GAS Man

• Members

They have a Double CD with their Greatest hits thats decent. But its not like having a decent collection of their stuff. Teacher, Long version of Thick as a Brick, Locomotive Breath, are all absent on it. Missing a lot of good {censored}.

I got away from the Classic Rock when we started playing Blues. I'm to old to be playing Rock. But I can still get away with Blues.

You know, I bought all that stuff on 33LP then 8-track, and back to 33LP, By the time CD's came around I refused to buy it anymore. All Blues is really all I been spending cash on.

• Members

They have a Double CD with their Greatest hits thats decent. But its not like having a decent collection of their stuff. Teacher, Long version of Thick as a Brick, Locomotive Breath, are all absent on it. Missing a lot of good shit.

I got away from the Classic Rock when we started playing Blues. I'm to old to be playing Rock. But I can still get away with Blues.

You know, I bought all that stuff on 33LP then 8-track, and back to 33LP, By the time CD's came around I refused to buy it anymore. All Blues is really all I been spending cash on.

So your too old to rock & roll, but too young to die? ;)

• Members

Early on they were more bluesey like Fleetwood Mac, but FMac went pop when Green left then Kirwin and Spencer. Welch followed afterward and the direction began to change which was sealed with Nicks and Buckingham.

Tull went progressive.

Not likely Tull will ever be inducted just like Gentle Giant or Crimson or Camel or

Nektar.

Prog is really not considered R&R.

• Members

Tull was my first rock show--seriously.

As far as bands that sound like them, the Decemberists have lately been trending in that direction. Their epics "The Tain" and "The Island" really remind me of
Thick as a Brick.

My first too.

8/15/1976 at the Coliseum in LA

Jethro Tull

Robin Trower

Rory Gallagher

Starcastle

• Members

One of the classic rock stations in Chicago, 97.1 "The Drive," has ads saying: "The Drive: playing the best music ever made." Like most stations in the format, it has a playlist that could fit on one sheet of A4, in ten-point Times New Roman, and it stops hard in about 1980. If you want to know why it's classic rock stations, and not top-40, hip-hop/R&B, and country stations, that are the first to switch formats to "regional Latino" (read: ranchera, mariachi)--well, now you know.

This is why you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch about this band or that band being excluded from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Nothing kills an art form faster than creating a canon for it. If you don't believe me, look at classical music and acoustic jazz.

Most of the really interesting things happening in jazz today involve the guitar, an instrument that was always considered of secondary importance to the form when compared to the saxophone or trumpet. I think that's because every kid who picks up a horn today has to contend with the voice of Wynton Marsalis in his head, telling him that the best music on his instrument was made before he or even his mother was born. Jazz guitarists don't have to deal with that crap.

• Members

BTW, how was the sound at the Coliseum show? It's known as a notoriously unintimidating place for visiting football teams (never mind that USC's only losses there since 2001 have been to Stanford :rolleyes: ) because it's not very loud. This means it would probably actually be better for a rock show than the average stadium, since it wouldn't be highly reverberant--and thus extremely muddy.

• Members

wow they haven't been inducted yet?that's a crime,there are far less deserving that have been inducted...madonna???please....that she was inducted and tull still isn't just shows how irrelevant the the rock&roll hall of fame really is.
:rolleyes:

It shows how misnamed it is.

Archived