A HCEG Veterans Club??

Hammer97e

• Members

Just thinking it would be kinda neat to see how many of us are veterans of the Armed Forces, maybe this has already been done, maybe not, maybe there are only a couple of us.

I personally was active duty in the Army for 5 years, worked as an Arabic linguist and human intelligence collector, was one of the first into Afghanistan and immediately left there to be one of the first into Iraq.

One of my buddies brought along his Epi acoustic and it definitely kept us sane and really is what pushed back into playing after a long time off since my high school years.

Picture023.jpg

• Members

Does the KISS army count?

Just kidding.

I was never an active member of the military, but I have the utmost respect for any veteran of the armed forces.

You guys are the reasons we are able to have the freedom to do the things we do, and enjoy our way of life.

Doesnt matter if you agree with whatever politics are happening at the time, or the rightness, or wrongness of certain conflicts or wars, the men and women of the armed services who voluntarily agree to put theirselves in harms way, or who agree to do it if called upon, and the members of the military that support them, are ALL heros in my book, even if you could never get anyone of them to admit it.

Big Thanks to all you guys!!

• Members

I did a stint in the USAF from 77-81. I was an aircraft electrician & spent most of my time at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge. I worked on F-4s & A-10s. I did a couple of TDYs to Germany & one to Italy. I spent my last 6 months stateside on a SAC base. God...was that a mistake. It was like being in the military or something. :)

• Members

Thanks for the kind words.All is good now. I was shot in the back and started running. I jumped over a wall that used to be a building and broke my ankle:freak:

After the shoot out I was put into a Humvee one medic was working on my back wound,the other cut off my boot. The Humvee was then hit by ied shrapnel. The shrapnel took off my pinky toe on my left foot.

Other than that,it's all good:)

I would not hesitate to do it all over again.

• Members

Thanks for the kind words.All is good now. I was shot in the back and started running. I jumped over a wall that used to be a building and broke my ankle:freak:

After the shoot out I was put into a Humvee one medic was working on my back wound,the other cut off my boot. The Humvee was then hit by ied shrapnel. The shrapnel took off my pinky toe on my left foot.

Other than that,it's all good:)

I would not hesitate to do it all over again.

Damn man, you just couldn't catch a break that day huh? Glad you made it out ok :thu:

Big thanks to all our folks in the armed services

• Members

1980-1991 USAF

Everywhere I was stationed other than training, is now gone. :freak:

I can't tell you what I did. Very, very, generally, it was electronics.

I had a memorable special duty assignment for a couple of years with the Secret Service. That I can tell you. odd, huh?

It's a valued experience, but they REALLY pissed me off, so I got out.

I am still tight friends with a couple of guys I met over 20 years ago in the service.

This explains me saying "I used to live there" alot on this forum.

• Members

I thought we were talking about HCEG long-term members before opening the thread.

A vets section might be an idea, but as another part of HC, rather than a section of the EGF. It's not an idea I'd particularly endorse as it would separate 'you' from 'everyone else', and polarisation isn't often healthy. Much better to all mix in together - give a shared perspective.

• Members

Not a vet, but a military dependent for 18 years. Dad was a West Pointer that transfered to the AF to fly the F86 Sabre Jet.

F86-1.jpg

He ended his career with the minuteman missile program.

Our stations included Japan, where I was born, and Istanbul.

I can relate a bit to Wedghed's comments about SAC. We also lived at Offutt AFB in Omaha. Also a friend of mine years later enlisted for 6 years as a MP in the AF. The deal was you get your choice of assignment (actually you name 3 and they pick your final choice) and 2 stripes. He named Whiteman in Knob Noster Mo (his home town) Fairchild AFB (outside of Spokane WA) and so he could be part of the creme of the crop, Offutt AFB, Omaha, NE.

And of course they sent him to Omaha. :eek:

Well years later when he was visiting me while he was AWOL, he said he didn't like standing outside the entrance guard shack in a snow storm saluting in the traffic with this eye lids literally freezing open. He turned himself in at Fairchild where I was living and then broke out of the jail there and went on the run. I haven't seen Jack Dennison since.

I appreciated the military, but I decided one-third of my life in that culture was enough. Everybody had the same house, clothes and hair cut, so I wanted to see something different,

But kudos to those who serve.

In retrospect, I might have signed up. I've been doing essentially the same job now for 22 years, and I think the military career has something going for it the way they mix it up for you.

Sorry about the wounds Bobba. Glad you survived the experience.

Archived