Q for the old farts...when did you realise that

JohnnyR

• Members

Well, I'm 59 (oldest old fart yet on this thread?). My first electric guitar was an early 70's Kay LP copy (MIJ, gold top, maple fretboard, wonderful vintage instrument) which I still have and love and play regularly.

It was my only electric until about 5 years ago when I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 in a pawnshop (great price, very difficult to resist), excellent guitar, probably best value-for-money instrument I've played.

I've never yearned for a Gibson or Fender - I've played many of them over the years and have always thought they are very overpriced.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no need for all these guitars (24 and counting), it's just a helluva a lot of fun so why not? :idk:

It's never been more affordable to get a decent playing budget guitar than it is these days and the budget guitars have never been better. The aftermarket parts have never been more available even those are starting to become quite affordable themselves. It's just a lot of fun collecting, modding, jammin' on something that just shouldn't play or sound as good as it does.

As far when did I start collecting:

The first tour I went on as a teenager I had one guitar, a Gibson SG Deluxe. During that tour it became clear a backup would be a good thing to have so I got an Ibanez Musician, an Alembic copy. I also got an acoustic to have something I could practice on between shows as we didn't have Pods back in the day. I suppose you could say the collection started back then.

• Members

I'm 50 years old.

I was very happy owning one or two or three guitars most of my career. When my band got a record deal with RCA back in 1984 I owned a '69 SG, a '79 Strat and my first guitar a Harmony Acoustic that was nearly unplayable. The company bought me a Marhall JCM 800 to replace my Music Man amp. Eventually for the second album I bought a G&L Superhawk. And I was happy with the set-up.

In the 90's I stopped preforming live and neurotically started buy gear to compensate for my desire to play live.

Over the last five years I started gigging again and I'm much happier, but I've ended up with a huge collection of gear, including 21 guitars three Mesa Amps and a huge pedalboard.

• Members

I'm 51 and I have GAS.

This is just like AA meetings:)

I started playing again after a 30 year haitus. I bought a noname dred and two months later a Fender dred, the a LP and a Marshall amp, then a Martin, a couple of years later I bought an Ibanez hollowbody, THANKS McINCKU, and last year I traded the cheap dreds for an Ovation Elite. At first I probably was doing it because buting was easier than practicing and the search for tone ruled. I took lessons for four years, though, and I finally figured out that tone is in the fingers, I prefer a short scale for jazz chords, and practice is really, really fun. That said, I don't think that I'm ever going to be cured of GAS...

• Members

At first, I was a "one guitar player", but that was due to economics more than anything else.

Now, I own a wide variety of electric guitars that fit the styles of music I play.

There's nothing wrong with sticking to one brand or one model of guitar for some players - it's just not for me.

• Members

I'm 51, and started playing and taking lessons as a kid in 67. By 69 had a band together and was playing Dance's, Parties, etc.

I had two electrics, a Gretch Astro-Jet and Fender Strat. For an Amp I played through a 68 Fender Bandmaster/Reverb 1/2-stack.

Stayed this way for a long time. Till the late 70's then I started making change's here and there.

I have a few electrics and amps around. I like to keep at least 1/2 dozen electrics just to cover the Tonal base's. Single-Coil Strat and Tele, Humbucker, Semi-Hollow, P-90, and a Mini Humbucker

As far as whats needed? There's a big difference between wants and needs! And I always keep that in mind. I stay pretty grounded these days.

• Members

Guess I can chime in at 54 yrs/old. Very first guitar was a Kay bass - plywood bod in a very generic LP shape. That got stolen. Switched to 6 string when my brother went in the Army. I got to use his 3/4 size Kent. When he got back from Vietnam I bought an SG. Played that until it warped (yes, the neck twisted). Traded it towards the Les Paul Custom in 1975 and played that baby exclusively until 1995.

That's when I discovered PRS guitars. Bought my CE24 and used that pretty much until I had a Tele-shaped guitar built for me in 2003. Since then, I've added pretty much what is in my signature. Plus at least 5 other guitars that I've sold. I do think if I were playing out more I'd be buying less guitars. Seriously. Maybe not, tho'!!!

I still want an LP (or Heritage) with P90s. And a Tele with a TV Jones. Mostly, just for the sake of having them. Wouldn't mind picking up a low powered Fender Twin Amp and a Vox AC15 (or maybe a Blues Jr.) just for dragging around to jams. Of course, there is always ..................

• Members

I always had one really good guitar be it a Gibson or Fender (what else was there back then) and some kind of Japanese backup that I was loathe to use. It wasn't until my mid 20s that I finally said to myself that I needed more versatility

I'm 47, and I went in the opposite direction. Whereas I used to collect electric guitars, having ten at one point, I now have but one. It took me 30 years to figure out that versatility is a product of the player, not the gear.

• Members

How old are you now, and how is your playing? I started at 41 and was wondering how good in reality I can get without at least jamming with other players, or the odd gig in a few years

I never really had aspirations to become a top notch lead guitar player. What I really loved was playing rhythm. My brother is the lead guitarist in the band I play in, so I certainly wouldn't want to step on his toes anyway. I think I play a pretty darn good rhythm for my classic and original rock band. I've gotten quite a few positive comments on my rhythm work and guitar tone.

Playing live with others is a definite advantage. I was able to learn a lot and it forced me to keep pushing the envelope. As a lefty, I found that putting myself in a position to see my brother's guitar during jams or rehearsals actually helped me to be on the right chord during those early, less experienced years of playing. It was like looking in a mirror.

Sometimes another guitarist will show you something that helps you out or they may encourage you to try something that you would too quickly dismiss as too hard to do.

Other than that, playing along with CDs helped. I was amazed at how I graduated from not being able to play with certain songs early on and then suddenly being able to pick out the main chords and play along.

I guess you'll get as good as your desire to play. This is where the extra guitars actually helped me. With a few nice guitars to choose from, it kept me even more interested in picking them up and playing them. Taking out a nice Les Paul Custom to play after it has been in its case for a month, makes it feel like a new guitar again.

Just enjoy it for the stress relief and fun that it can be. Don't put your goals too high. My first step in playing the guitar was taking it into my elementary classroom and playing a few chords between words on a spelling test to my class (I couldn't even string some chords together to play a song yet). By the time I retired, I was still bringing in my guitars to play during spelling tests, but now I was playing parts of songs and jamming. Plus, some of the children in my classes got to see my band play at local events (charities, fundraisers, school related events).

Put it this way. When I was in my teens, I started playing drums, because I thought learning guitar would be way too hard. Later in life I taught myself to play guitar and wish I had done it 30 years earlier.

• Members

It took me 30 years to figure out that versatility is a product of the player, not the gear.

Don't really think that has much to do with how many guitars one owns, tho'. I do agree with you in concept, don't get me wrong on that. :cool: I can cover a ton of style territory with whatever guitar I have in hand. I just happen to like to have more than one to play ... if I want to. Which is probably why so many of us have more than one - because we can. ;)

• Moderators

I never really had aspirations to become a top notch lead guitar player. What I really loved was playing rhythm. My brother is the lead guitarist in the band I play in, so I certainly wouldn't want to step on his toes anyway. I think I play a pretty darn good rhythm for my classic and original rock band. I've gotten quite a few positive comments on my rhythm work and guitar tone.

Playing live with others is a definite advantage. I was able to learn a lot and it forced me to keep pushing the envelope. As a lefty, I found that putting myself in a position to see my brother's guitar during jams or rehearsals actually helped me to be on the right chord during those early, less experienced years of playing. It was like looking in a mirror.

Sometimes another guitarist will show you something that helps you out or they may encourage you to try something that you would too quickly dismiss as too hard to do.

Other than that, playing along with CDs helped. I was amazed at how I graduated from not being able to play with certain songs early on and then suddenly being able to pick out the main chords and play along.

I guess you'll get as good as your desire to play. This is where the extra guitars actually helped me. With a few nice guitars to choose from, it kept me even more interested in picking them up and playing them. Taking out a nice Les Paul Custom to play after it has been in its case for a month, makes it feel like a new guitar again.

Just enjoy it for the stress relief and fun that it can be. Don't put your goals too high. My first step in playing the guitar was taking it into my elementary classroom and playing a few chords between words on a spelling test to my class (I couldn't even string some chords together to play a song yet). By the time I retired, I was still bringing in my guitars to play during spelling tests, but now I was playing parts of songs and jamming. Plus, some of the children in my classes got to see my band play at local events (charities, fundraisers, school related events).

Put it this way. When I was in my teens, I started playing drums, because I thought learning guitar would be way too hard. Later in life I taught myself to play guitar and wish I had done it 30 years earlier.

You'll be my model then:thu: I played bass when I was in my late teens as I thought it'd be easier than 6 strings, and then a few years ago after stopping drinking, smoking shagging etc, I thought I could use some stress busting hobby and something to focus on, and I thoroughly enjoy the trying, but I'd like to at least play the odd gig out by the time I'm around 50, nothing too strenuous, but it'd just be nice...thanks for sharing man:thu:

• Members

My first guitar was a hand-me-down Kay acoustic. My first electric a Gibson Marauder. My first guitar bought brand new was an '81 Strat - still have that one. I've always played pretty much any guitar I could get my hands on - nice ones and crappy ones. I currently own a Martin HD28V and a Squier Tele I bought on ebay for $41. I never really found there was one perfect guitar, nor did I ever feel the need for many guitars. I do enjoy owning guitars, so I buy them whenever one strikes my fancy and I can afford it. I can play just about anything on just about any guitar I ever picked up. I'm more interested in getting the best sound I can from the guitar I'm playing than trying to change the guitar or get a different one to get a particular sound. I'll happily play Hendrix on a hollow body or Zep on a Strat. I currently own two Strats, a Tele, a Washburn HB-30, a Martin and an Epi acoustic and a Fender P-bass. I'm 45 years old.

• Members

Don't really think that has much to do with how many guitars one owns, tho'. I do agree with you in concept, don't get me wrong on that.
:cool:
I can cover a ton of style territory with whatever guitar I have in hand. I just happen to like to have more than one to play ... if I want to. Which is probably why so many of us have more than one - because we can.
;)

A mechanic needs more than one wrench/spanner and a guitarist needs more than one guitar. My wife believes this and that's all the matters.:)

• Members

but I'd like to at least play the odd gig out by the time I'm around 50, nothing too strenuous, but it'd just be nice...thanks for sharing man:thu:

Times out playing in a band before I started playing guitar: 5 (gigs where I played drums)

Times out playing in a band after the age of 43: somewhere around 50 (and at least half of that has been after the age of 50.

In fact, the highlight was playing 5 times on the stage at The Chance in Poughkeepsie (all within the past 4 years). This is a small popular club that has housed many a big name act in the past.

My band averages 3-6 gigs a year (it is only a hobby). I am quite satisfied with that occasional fix.

Good luck. You're never too old to rock!

• Members

Each guitar sounded different, and we both sounded different with each guitar - even when playing the same material.

It's part technique, part gear.

:thu:

Last time I played a gig, I took my Rickenbacker 360v64. Someone videotaped 2 of our songs. After listening to that crystal clear bell-like chime of the Ric, I am quite sure that none of my other guitars would have quite aced that tone.

• Members

A mechanic needs more than one wrench/spanner and a guitarist needs more than one guitar. My wife believes this and that's all the matters.
:)

dats right!!

and a REAL guitarist is firstly a MUSICIAN ...

and musicians collect different types of instruments as an artist might have different types of brushes for the various brush strokes he/she might employ in their 'art' ...

the only stumbling block is usually financial

once you have the financial means ... it is off to the races to get as much as you can! lol

nothing to realise./.. just save up and go buy heheh

only thing i realised when i only had acouple ofguitars was how much i yearned for all the other types of guitars i don't have! hehehe

i confess ..i am a guitarholic

runn3r

• Members

I`m 35 - but I`ve been playing for 22 years.. not quite geezer territory, but getting there. I`ve owned over 60 guitars, from low end (a kent found in a dumpster by a friend) to high end (a couple of gibsons and one fender custom shop). I rarely have had more than 10 at a time. 15, tops.

Recently, I`ve found myself seriously wondering why I need more than one or two. When I gig these days, my backup rarely comes off the stand - if ever. I`ve been selling stuff off for the past few months, and I`ll probably get myself down to just my tele and an acoustic in a few months, the way things are looking. I even went so far as to get rid of my amp - I`ve been running a vox tonelab LE direct to a PA, and I`m quite happy with the sound. It`s not for everyone, but it works for me with what I do.

I think it came down to taking my playing more seriously - focusing on my technique, focusing on writing, focusing on my chops - as well as taking a serious look at what my equipment is capable of, and trying to get the most out of it. It`s amazing what you can get a simple telecaster to sound like. My experience, anyway...

Archived