Dont buy through Amazon

aragorn

• Members

I recently ordered a faded maple studio through Amazon as they were the only one left advertising them and it looked like I would miss out. Got an order confirmation immediately, but then waitied well into the expected delivery time before chasing up the order (I still hadn't received shipping confirmation). This morning I rang Giardinelli (the store that was selling the axe thru Amazon) and they informed me that Amazon had cancelled the order. I had not received any notice of this and the money is still not available on my credit card!!!

I am now waiting on a response from Amazon but I can see the guitar being discontinued before I get this sorted out.

Lesson learnt: don't deal with Amazon.

• Members

I'm not sure I'd buy a guitar from Amazon in the first place. If a guitar is near discontinued, usually big box stores are the last to have them in, not an online retailer. I do buy plenty from Amazon without incident though, from books, to electronics, to coffee.

Apparently you don't understand what Amazon is.. They don't stock a single item in any warehouse. They're the world's larget drop shipper. They let other stores/dealers/whatever display their items in return for a fee. Case in point, I ordered some pickups last year from "Amazon", and it was actually Sam Ash and MF that was filling the orders. They might actually stock books, I'm not sure, but all the Amazon stores are third parties just using Amazon for the warm fuzzy feeling we get from going with such a well known store front.

• Members

Well after a series of phone calls (international mind you, lucky I have voip) as they all refuse to respond to emails. Both companies blaming the other one. I have managed to have the order cancelled, annd supposedly the money refunded. Both companies refused to admit that my card had been charged untill I fronted them with the exact time and date and auth number of the charge, that they had the charge reversed. Do they really think people are too stupid to notice a thousand odd dollars on their credit card?? Now I just have to wait a few days to confirm the charge has in fact been reversed and start looking for a new guitar again.

In the future I will never deal with middle men, shop direct from the main company.

• Members

Apparently you don't understand what Amazon is.. They don't stock a single item in any warehouse. They're the world's larget drop shipper. They let other stores/dealers/whatever display their items in return for a fee. Case in point, I ordered some pickups last year from "Amazon", and it was actually Sam Ash and MF that was filling the orders. They might actually stock books, I'm not sure, but all the Amazon stores are third parties just using Amazon for the warm fuzzy feeling we get from going with such a well known store front.

True. I bought one of those Epiphone collegiate guitars (Illinois) for $79 through amazon but MusicYo was the actual store/shipper.

I've never had a problem with Amazon (knock on wood). In fact, I would trust Amazon with online purchases rather than unknown/lesser known retailers due to their sheer size and their influence on their retailers to keep the transactions as smooth and trouble free as possible.

• Members

What stopped me from buying from them was the fact that they said I'd get free shipping on the item I ordered. When it came, I found out I got hammered for the shipping. I called and they told me it was because the item shipped directly from the manufacturer so I had to eat it. Yea, I know, it ALL comes from somewhere else and I got into that with them. The bottom line was that they weren't going to budge so I wrote them off in my book.

• Members

Well, your problem is you knew it was being offered by Giardinelli before you bought it, and you didn't know that Giardinelli is another Musicians Friend owned vendor.

In case you weren't aware, Musicans Friend owns and operates:

www.music123.com

www.musician.com

www.giardinelli.com

www.wwbw.com

www.guitarcenter.com

Am I missing any?

• Members
Well, your problem is you knew it was being offered by Giardinelli before you bought it, and you didn't know that Giardinelli is another Musicians Friend owned vendor.

In case you weren't aware, Musicans Friend owns and operates:

www.music123.com

www.musician.com

www.giardinelli.com

www.wwbw.com

www.guitarcenter.com

Am I missing any?

www.harmonycentral.com

• Members

I try to avoid buying through the Amazon Marketplace if I can because of the high shipping costs most of the dealers offer (if I can get it from Amazon, I get it shipped free, tax free). However, while I have had problems with Amazon Marketplace dealers in the past, Amazon has been the saving grace. I file a claim with them and let them sort it out and it's always worked.

You can be pretty confident that what happened here is aragorn bought a guitar that didn't actually exist so Guitar Center/Musicians Friend, which is who ships Giardinelli's product, canceled the order without telling Amazon. MF, GC, Giardinelli, Brasswind/Woodwind, and Music 123 all ship from the same warehouses these days, the companies and websites them are just fronts.

And Ravancad isn't exactly right, Amazon does have 4 million square feet of warehouse space, if it's available for immediate shipping from Amazon directly, then it's in one of their warehouses. But what aragorn did here was not buy from Amazon, but through the Amazon Marketplace, where Amazon just works as a payment portal. Amazon has no idea what goes on at the dealer, and can only control the money. In my experience, they have made every bad deal good again with a full refund, but they do give the dealer time to make amends beforehand.

• Members

Well, I think they obviously have a good system until something goes wrong. The majority of transactions should be seamless but when, like has happened in this case, the product was suddenly not available, a major breakdown occurred between the two companies. I am only hoping I get my money back so I can start shopping for another axe. I was pretty fired up this morning when I posted as I had just got off a series of international calls to where I had to hold the hands of a few stupid people who kept blaming each other, and refusing to do anything about the problem.

• Members

I didn't say anything to the contrary of this. You can buy from MF (an online retailer), or you can buy from Amazon who directs from MF (AN ONLINE RETAILER!). My point was, the brick and mortar stores are usually the last to have a discontinued item. Take the Squier '51. Been sold out online forever, but you can still find them at Sam Ash stores.

• Members
I recently ordered a faded maple studio through Amazon as they were the only one left advertising them

That part is interesting though. I mean, I know MF showed that guitar as a limited supply" item, but I thought that was just bull{censored}. Hell, they shown the Gibson SG Faded Special as a "limited supply" for well over a year now and it's not gone anywhere. (Oops looks like it's gone now too. :eek:)

But in anycase, it was a limited supply for at least a year.

I thought the faded maple top studios were going to be around for a while.

If I'd known they were really going to disappear, I might have grabbed one at the $850 sales price. I wonder if they will return.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived