Replacement for POD XT?

leftyDaveZ

• Members

What do you need it to do?

A Pod XT will do everything a Tonelab will. Tonelabs are designed to run outboard, they don't have a software side to the interface like Gearbox, or any VST still plug-ins. You set up the Tonelab and then run it into an "audio in" on you machine (the latest Tonelab has a digital S/P DIF out, which helps avoid input level headaches if you have a S/P DIF in on your system). But Tonelabs don't have USB interfacing, audio only.

Otherwise, the Tonelab's only software is an editor similar to Line 6 Edit.

There is a reason that most print and online discussions recommend staying 32-bit. For now, 64-bit XP/Vista is best for machines that have primary professional/industrial functions can take advantage of it and have software and drivers already available. But at the consumer level, people are painting themselves in a corner by using it. It's like buying a stereo system that only plays HDCD's and nothing else. For me, many of the applications I have to use that already run on both have been proven to have no increase in performance in 64-bit, so it's pointless to commit myself to the less supported OS.

• Members

I want to record on my PC. And be able to play live if I want. The x64 version of Vista has been out just as long as the 32 bit version. There is no reason to not have 64 bit drivers. It's just laziness not to publish the 64 bit drivers.

I game and use this PC to do MCE functions as well. I have 8BG of RAM and would like to able to use al of it. the 4GB limit of the 32 bit code is outdated. 64 bit CPUs and mobos that take up to 8GB of RAM have been out for years. Time for the software writers to catch up. I believe MS will also only release new OSes in 64 bit from now on. Server 2008 was the last 32 bit OS.

Line 6 has been promising to release 64 bit drivers for over a year and are still evaluating it. Yeah right. More like lying to their customers about releasing 64 bit drivers. More and more OEMs will also start shipping shipping their PCs with 64 bit as well. Time for the gear companies to wise up.

• Members

You can keep bitching, but it ain't going to make it happen any faster. 64-bit XP was available for years before Vista came out and it never made the jump to consumer systems.

MS shot themselves in the foot by not being able to make it a seamless switch. OSX went from 32- to 64-bit with relative transparency (10.3 to 10.4).

It's a "catch 22," people aren't using 64-bit because it's not compatible with enough software and devices. Companies aren't rushing to make 64-bit software and drivers because people aren't using 64-bit OS.

But, to the original question, Line 6 is the only company I know that is making an outboard box that also runs in software mode (and plug-in) and as an audo interface. I'm not sure what 64-bit support Amplitube or Guitar Rig are offering right now (if any), but they are useless aways from the computer; though IK just released the IOStomp, which I believe is Amplitube software in a outboard box (but I';m not quite sure what it's away-from-PC powers are), but it isn't as cheap ($1000+) as the basic POD bean or live. Tonelab is outboard only, requiring an audio interface, as is the V-Amp, Magic Stomp and others( they all connect to a computer, but only for editing).

• Members

I ran into this a while back and picked up a mac mini and maxed out its ram to run my line6 stuff into... and use the PC for gaming :)

On the plus side, when I game I can also browse the web and stuff for maps on the mac as well as chat without effecting my game at all. I can also run a parser for the MMORPG's that I play :)

Gaming PC = Q6600 (Quad core)
4gigs 1066 Dominator Ram
8800gt 512mb graphics
P6N Diamond (680i) mobo
Vista Ultimate x64 (mostly for DX10 and RAM) etc etc...

Mac = 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
80GB hard drive
and can run either mac OSX 10.5 or windows XP depending on my mood.

BTW, a 32bit OS can usually only see 3 to 3.2 gb ram depending on the hardware as part of those addresses are used by the system for other devices. For a computer to see all 4gb ram it has to have a 64bit OS.

It works for me, thats all I care :)

Mac mini was $599

• Members

My honest suggestion if you really like the X2, is to buy/build a P4 2.0+ Ghz system. You should be able to put together a basic P4 system with 2 GB of RAM for well under $300. Then get a hub to hook to your main Vista system.

I prefer the Tonelab to the POD stuff but as Wyatt said, for computer recording, the POD has a lot more options rather than just direct line in.

• Members
My honest suggestion if you really like the X2, is to buy/build a P4 2.0+ Ghz system. You should be able to put together a basic P4 system with 2 GB of RAM for well under $300. Then get a hub to hook to your main Vista system.

I prefer the Tonelab to the POD stuff but as Wyatt said, for computer recording, the POD has a lot more options rather than just direct line in.

That's what I said... second computer if ya like the gear. Only suggested that little mac because its small, low power consumption, has a good warranty, is an American company, and ya dont have to build it from scratch... and they are reliable :)

I know gearbox works under OSX.... so does audacity and that silly garageband stuff that the mac ships with.

a P4 should be easy to build for under 300 dollars as long as you already have the OS...that will add another 100-200 dollars depending what you get. People always seem to forget the cost of software :cry: Evil Microsoft tax :evil:

whatever you do, just do your homework first and make sure it will run everything you need it to run... or go get one of those all in one units, like a http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR900CD-Digital-Recording-Studio?sku=241150 and just bypass the computer all together :idea:

/rambling

• Members

Hrmm... can you make a Vista system dual boot with an older OS if Vista is already installed?

I hate to sound uneducated because I spent 8 years in hardware and quality assurance, but I've never installed Vista.

a P4 should be easy to build for under 300 dollars as long as you already have the OS...that will add another 100-200 dollars depending what you get. People always seem to forget the cost of software
:cry:
Evil Microsoft tax
:evil:

I'd NEVER forget to give Microsoft their share... I've just been around computers so long that I forget that some people don't have stacks of old computers in the garage and several OS CDs.

• Members

Hrmm... can you make a Vista system dual boot with an older OS if Vista is already installed?

I hate to sound uneducated because I spent 8 years in hardware and quality assurance, but I've never installed Vista.

I'd NEVER forget to give Microsoft their share... I've just been around computers so long that I forget that some people don't have stacks of old computers in the garage and several OS CDs.

Possible, but wouldn't be ideal in this case, he would have to also run his DAW in the 32-bit OS to record, giving up the better audio editing performance of the 64-bit system.

• Members

You can have a dual-boot, but XP would have to be installed first and then Vista.

My question for the OP is... Why are you running Vista 64-bit in the first place? Do you have more than three gigs of memory? Are you using any applications that are 64-bit specific? If the answer to both of those is no, then just install 32-bit Vista and have fun.

• Members

You can have a dual-boot, but XP would have to be installed first and then Vista.

My question for the OP is... Why are you running Vista 64-bit in the first place? Do you have more than three gigs of memory? Are you using any applications that are 64-bit specific? If the answer to both of those is no, then just install 32-bit Vista and have fun.

He noted he has 8 gigs of RAM, and I will admit, if he's laying down 64+ tracks, a 64-bit DAW will handle them better.

• Members

Ya, I run a shop where we repair and build custom PC's and repair general electronics. I even get the occasional amp. The one thing I am used too is people underestimating costs of starting a new project build from scratch. Take whatever you think you will spend then double it, then add a bit more just to be on the safe side... and thats just for buying new parts, no labor. Sure you can sometimes find old systems or get donated parts or even find a good deal somewhere, but often those turn out to be false economy. Better to just do a job right the first time and be done with it. :thu:

• Members

Since Line 6 has abandoned it's customer base by not supporting Vist x64, I am looking to replace my POD as I can't use it on my PC. I have been looking at the VOX Tonelab. Any other suggestions?

Not supporting a version of an OS that a tiny percentage of total Vista users (which is fairly small compared to XP users in and of itself) will ever bother installing is not my idea of abandoning their customer base. Making it Mac only, would be abandoning their customer base. A few fringe tweakers don't usually dictate the direction major companies go with their products..

• Members

Well, I know I could do a dual boot system with Vista and XP on my system, because I have 4 HDs and full control over the boot drives. I might be a pain, but if I had Vista installed, I could remove the Vista drive, install XP, put the Vista drive back in and edit the boot.ini to allow for both options. Or if all else fails, change the boot order in the BIOS.

Assuming the boot loader is similar to NT4.0/XP Pro.

Having said all of that, I'd wait to see about the next version of the software due out at the end of February before I did anything.

• Members

He noted he has 8 gigs of RAM, and I will admit, if he's laying down 64+ tracks, a 64-bit DAW will handle them better.

Ah, I missed that. D'oh! Damn job distracting me from posting! :p

Yeah, 64-bit Vista would be best for him.

At least you aren't running any m-audio Delta stuff... They didn't put out ANY Vista drivers (32-bit or 64-bit) until about a month and a half ago. C'mon, the Vista driver model has been finalized since January 2006 and Vista went RTM in November of 2006. I can almost understand sitting on the 64-bit drivers, but not even 32-bit drivers for well over a year since Vista was officially finalized?

Oh, BTW, check this out. Look at Line6Miller's reply. It looks like they're working on 64-bit drivers.

http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?messageID=161160

• Members

Installing XP with it might be a an option but I have never trusted dual boots. Besides the NTFS versions are slightly different. I might run into some compatibility probs on the XP side.

If you look on the Line 6 forums, x64 support not just for Vista but for XP64 has gotten so big that Line 6 stated a feature request for it to gauge. There are also over 3000 unique views on that thread. I think that Line 6 is shooting themselves in the foot by not supporting it.

But yes, as I stated earlier, I have 8GB of RAM. I use CS3 to edit photos, run Media Center, game, etc. I am an IT professional, so it is not in the realm of impossibility for me to do this. Believe me, I ran 4 PCs at a time including a G5 workstation using KVM. Just got tired of the clutter.

/rant on

I mean really, Line 6's response to their customers who are running x64 was "you need to make better consumer choices". That is true. Better to not select their products.

/rant off.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will wait till the new GB release at the end of the month.

• Members

Installing XP with it might be a an option but I have never trusted dual boots. Besides the NTFS versions are slightly different. I might run into some compatibility probs on the XP side.

If you look on the Line 6 forums, x64 support not just for Vista but for XP64 has gotten so big that Line 6 stated a feature request for it to gauge. There are also over 3000 unique views on that thread. I think that Line 6 is shooting themselves in the foot by not supporting it.

But yes, as I stated earlier, I have 8GB of RAM. I use CS3 to edit photos, run Media Center, game, etc. I am an IT professional, so it is not in the realm of impossibility for me to do this. Believe me, I ran 4 PCs at a time including a G5 workstation using KVM. Just got tired of the clutter.

/rant on

I mean really, Line 6's response to their customers who are running x64 was "you need to make better consumer choices". That is true. Better to not select their products.

/rant off.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will wait till the new GB release at the end of the month.

Not to bust you, but did you see the last part of my last reply? :thu:

Archived