Replacement for POD XT?

leftyDaveZ

• Members
/rant on

I mean really, Line 6's response to their customers who are running x64 was "you need to make better consumer choices". That is true. Better to not select their products.

/rant off.

That is what they told me when I did a thread on x64 about a year ago. The conclusion was basically "we are might support you in the year 2010... maybe" here is my thread... it is almost EXACTLY 1 year LOL http://line6.com/support//thread.jspa?messageID=42406

I was trying to be whiny on purpose ... sad fact is, the squeaky wheel gets the greese.

I understand the computer clutter issue, the desk I am at has 3 machines on it right now... tho each has its own monitor and keyboard. I hate KVM setups as I prefer to see everything at once.

Good luck to ya, still say either a dedicated OS independent stand alone unit or a mac mini is the way to go :p Dual boots annoy me as much, if not more then KVM setups ;)

• Members

a P4 should be easy to build for under 300 dollars as long as you already have the OS...that will add another 100-200 dollars depending what you get. People always seem to forget the cost of software
:cry:
Evil Microsoft tax
:evil:

/rambling

Just that P4 has been obsolete for a few years now, I wouldn't touch a P4 with a 10 foot pole even. :poke:

• Members

Yeah I did see that. But it still doesn't answer...when. They could at least say "another month, 2 months" or whatever. I think as long as people see that they are addressing it and and have some kind of time frame, they would be satisfied. But to originally tell somebody they made a poor consumer choice is bad form, and bad service. YMMV.

• Members

Yeah I did see that. But it still doesn't answer...when. They could at least say "another month, 2 months" or whatever. I think as long as people see that they are addressing it and and have some kind of time frame, they would be satisfied. But to originally tell somebody they made a poor consumer choice is bad form, and bad service. YMMV.

I don't think they know. That is poor form, though...

However, I don't think it's going to take as long as Duke Nukem Forever. :poke:

• Members

Just that P4 has been obsolete for a few years now, I wouldn't touch a P4 with a 10 foot pole even. :poke:

It always cracks me up when people refer to computers as obsolete. You'd be surprised at how many banks, schools, financial institutions run on 'obsolete' computers. I used to build link and security computers for the backbone for a major financial institution and stock exchange. The end user systems were relatively high tech, but the security systems were proprietary hardwired 486 systems. This was when about a P4 2.6 was state of the art. They also had dedicated DSL routers that were 286 systems that ran QNX. And they had hundreds of systems that ran NT 3.51 LONG after XP was out. They couldn't even buy 3.51 from Microsft, they had to handle it through a third party leasing company.

And this is a multi billion dollar company.

A P4 2.6 with 2 GB RAM running 2000 Server is still plenty powerful for most non-gaming, non-graphic intensive applications. Probably 90% as fast as a system that costs 10X as much for everything BUT those applications.

• Members

I didn't want to touch the P4 when it was brand new. At that point I would've rather stuck with the P3 or... Well, what I actually did was become an AMD guy. :) I'm running an overclocked Opteron as we speak. :thu:

• Members

very true on the server market, my shop makes use of a lot of older systems, our proxy server is running on an old P4 2ghz with a bit of ram and does just fine.

But lets not loose sight of the reason for the thread, and that is why a company needs to write drivers for an OS that will become more and more common as time goes on.

People like big numbers and specs in new computers... in fact a common sales tactic is to show how big a HDD is and to list ram in MB instead of GB. The big number just looks better in the average mindset. Its almost as bad as pricing something at 400 dollars and an another item at 399... the 399 will sell first, even if its half the specs of the 400 dollar system.

and now I am rambling again :D

/ramble

• Members

Well if we are gonna go geek for a sec, I still have two dual PIII systems (1 Dell 800 x2, and a homebuilt 1Ghz x2) that are gathering dust. I might make the 800 into a Linux box for {censored}s and giggles, but still run into the space problem.

I got computer parts out the wazoo around here, enough so the wife gives me crap about it.

I think though (going back to my original rant) that the gear/accessories companies , be they guitar or computer related, really need to step up adoption of 64 bit. When I upgraded my system last year, the only issue I had was my Creative x-Fi card didn't have good drivers, but creative has {censored}ty driver support even for XP. The HW is so fast but people can't full advantage because the software isn't there yet. It's really not that hard: write the Vista driver, sign it for 64 bit OS.

• Members

Well if we are gonna go geek for a sec, I still have two dual PIII systems (1 Dell 800 x2, and a homebuilt 1Ghz x2) that are gathering dust. I might make the 800 into a Linux box for {censored}s and giggles, but still run into the space problem.

I got computer parts out the wazoo around here, enough so the wife gives me crap about it.

I think though (going back to my original rant) that the gear/accessories companies , be they guitar or computer related, really need to step up adoption of 64 bit. When I upgraded my system last year, the only issue I had was my Creative x-Fi card didn't have good drivers, but creative has {censored}ty driver support even for XP. The HW is so fast but people can't full advantage because the software isn't there yet. It's really not that hard: write the Vista driver, sign it for 64 bit OS.

Sounds like you're a good candidate for virtualization software: VMWare or Parallels.

Install a VM manager, install 32-bit XP or Vista as a guest OS, install the driver for your POD XT in the guest OS, and use it. You won't be able to use all 8 GB of your RAM, but it won't require another computer, and it'll bridge the gap until (if) they release 64-bit drivers.

Disclaimer: I don't know if there are issues with running the POD XT through VMWare, due to the hardware interface.

Virtualization is pretty slick. I use it at work all the time.

Archived