OMG, my first YouTube!!

_pete_

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's awesome Pete. You ever play in our neck of the woods?

I'd like to but there aren't any good venues here that I know of.

For the show we do we need a decent size stage (we have a rear screen projection setup and a laser show), and a good house sound & light system.

If you know a place that would work, let me know

• Members

I need to get a better sound system for my PC.

Liked the Sheraton. Into a modeler, no less.

It looked like you had a great time and AFAICT, covered Rush, adroitly.

I'm kind of a Rush fan in moderate terms. Own a few albums.

Not very familiar with La Villa Strangiato. It must be from the Fly By Night era.

I did recognize some of the chops, though.

• Members

I need to get a better sound system for my PC.

Liked the Sheraton. Into a modeler, no less.

It looked like you had a great time and AFAICT, covered Rush, adroitly.

I'm kind of a Rush fan in moderate terms. Own a few albums.

Not very familiar with La Villa Strangiato. It must be from the Fly By Night era.

I did recognize some of the chops, though.

La Villa is on the Hemispheres album. That is one of their best albums from start to finish. It's almost required listening.

HemispheresVcover.jpg

• Members

Great Job pete!!!

Sounds like your bass player is great live too, but I already knew this because I have heard your clips before.

He has a great live sound.

What gear is he using?

Does he use a pic? Sounds like it, but I have always been able to get a good pick-like sound using my fingers.

The big part of that is to alays use brand spankin new strings.

I used to put new strings on EVERY night.

Just wondering about his rig, bass, gear, technique, strings?

Of course you sound and play great too!!!

Cant wait to hear the polished vids that are being worked on right now.

First off, thanks for all the compliments above folks! It's nice to know that discriminating ears are talking highly of the show.

Hey, Dave - I'm the "Geddy" of Pete's band. Pete tipped me off to this thread a bit earlier this evening, so I thought I'd sign up here and reply.

Here's what I was using as my bass rig that night:

Bass & Keys

1 - Geddy Lee Signature Jazz

1 - 4003 Rickenbacker

(both strung w/Rotosound Stainless Steel Strings, .45-.105)

1 - Fretless jazz bass (Pete's - not sure of the brand)

1 - SansAmp Tech21 RBI

1 - BBE 442 Sonic Maximizer

1 - Peavey MegaBass

1 - 8x10 Ampeg Cab

I plug into the Tech21 RBI, and send a processed loop signal down to the MegaBass, which is only amp'ing that signal to the 8x10 (which was kept very quiet on stage). I give the sound guy an XLR out of the RBI straight to the snake, and that's the sound that cranks through the mains. The Geddy bass sounds great through the RBI, but the Ric sounds thunderous through it.

I pretty much play only with my fingers (a bit too strongly, I might add - I've got marks on all my pickups). I found out that Ged uses the .45-.105 stainless strings from Rotosound, and with a fresh pack, the FlyByNight bass and that RBI, I can nail Ged's tone from My Favorite Headache. (And yes, I strung the basses the night before the show!) Plus, there's a couple of videos on Rush.com where the bass tech walks through Geddy's gear. I hit pause when his RBI was in frame, and set my dials to where his are set to (...then I marked the dial settings with a Sharpie).

Regards,

Craig

{edit} Sorry, didn't see this thread was 3 pages long...replied before I saw that Pete already answered many of the questions. :)

• Members

First off, thanks for all the compliments above folks! It's nice to know that discriminating ears are talking highly of the show.

Hey, Dave - I'm the "Geddy" of Pete's band. Pete tipped me off to this thread a bit earlier this evening, so I thought I'd sign up here and reply.

Here's what I was using as my bass rig that night:

Bass & Keys

1 - Geddy Lee Signature Jazz

1 - 4003 Rickenbacker

(both strung w/Rotosound Stainless Steel Strings, .45-.105)

1 - Fretless jazz bass (Pete's - not sure of the brand)

1 - SansAmp Tech21 RBI

1 - BBE 442 Sonic Maximizer

1 - Peavey MegaBass

1 - 8x10 Ampeg Cab

I plug into the Tech21 RBI, and send a processed loop signal down to the MegaBass, which is only amp'ing that signal to the 8x10 (which was kept very quiet on stage). I give the sound guy an XLR out of the RBI straight to the snake, and that's the sound that cranks through the mains. The Geddy bass sounds great through the RBI, but the Ric sounds thunderous through it.

I pretty much play only with my fingers (a bit too strongly, I might add - I've got marks on all my pickups). I found out that Ged uses the .45-.105 stainless strings from Rotosound, and with a fresh pack, the FlyByNight bass and that RBI, I can nail Ged's tone from My Favorite Headache. (And yes, I strung the basses the night before the show!) Plus, there's a couple of videos on Rush.com where the bass tech walks through Geddy's gear. I hit pause when his RBI was in frame, and set my dials to where his are set to (...then I marked the dial settings with a Sharpie).

Regards,

Craig

{edit} Sorry, didn't see this thread was 3 pages long...replied before I saw that Pete already answered many of the questions.
:)

Hey, WOW, thanks for responding Craig.

Yup, you sound awesome!!

Thanks for the rundown on your gear.

I am also a very heavy playing finger player.

Heavy as in I wouldnt exactly call my "touch" light.

I was a big Steve Harris fan at about the same time I was heavily into Rush, so I would say those two are pretty much reponsible for "teaching" me bass.

Your sound is great, and it is always good to hear a great bright tone like that from a finger player.

So sounds like your sound is a pretty even combo of the Bass, strings, technique, and the Sansamp.:thu:

Anyway, welcome to HCEG.

Yeah, this is the electric guitar forum, but there is always room for another bass player or two.

Someone has to keep these guys in line.:cop:

Anyway, you can check out some of the tones I get with my fingers on my soundclick page.

The tones are descent but they are not really up front in the mix.

Also, caution!!! These songs were recorded 20 years ago and sound extremely dated to that era.

• Members

My name is DaveAronow.

I like to write my posts doublespaced.

With one sentence per line.

I'm not sure why I do this.

It's just my style.

Everyone has their own style.

This is mine.

And that video by _pete_ was awesome.

Professional.

Very, very cool.

I am DaveAronow.

And I approved this message.

Really.

• Members

My name is DaveAronow.

I like to write my posts doublespaced.

With one sentence per line.

I'm not sure why I do this.

It's just my style.

Everyone has their own style.

This is mine.

And that video by _pete_ was awesome.

Professional.

Very, very cool.

I am DaveAronow.

And I approved this message.

Really.

[YOUTUBE]jmQRmHgExV0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

What about thr Fraze Pavillion?
:p

I'd love that but I don't know if we could draw enough of a crowd. I don't even know how we would go about getting in there. We don't have an agent or anything.

We could be part of a larger show but I don't know if we'd get enough stage time to justify the travel for the other guys in the band.

Archived