How consistent is your tone?

kenh

• Members

I know there are MANY factors that can affect your tone, but I'm talking about the same room [say your practice area], same guitar, same tone settings, etc. Day to day variation. Or day to day perception of your tone.

Yesterday, I had to switch some cables around, and I just could get quite the tone I am used to. Too much high edge roughness, not smooth enough. Anyway, I didn't change anything other than this cable, but I don't know if it I had the tone I was expecting, before I made this change.

Then I started changing more cables, checking tone settings, checking batteries, tuning, retuning, then started tweaking midrange, treble, ARRRGG. The tone was "okay", but missing the sparkle I am used to. I don't even really have a complicated setup.

Maybe it was all in my head. I have not tried today yet. I'm kind of scared to.

So, does this ever happen to you?

• Members

alot of it is psychological...

but just 5 minutes ago I tweaked yet again my main Goetic Circle tone on my POD X3. I've got 5 different tones I use for this project:

#1 Orange AD30TC thru 4x12 w/ V30s

#2 Orange AD30TC thru 4x12 w/ V30s + Fuzz Face

#3 Orange AD30TC thru 4x12 w/ V30s + Big Muff

#4 Orange AD30TC thru 4x12 w/ V30s + wah-wah, analog echo

#5 Orange AD30TC thru 4x12 w/ V30s + Fuzz Face, Roland Space Echo

everything has some reverb on it

:thu::rawk:

that being said, consistency is probably one of the advantages of using modeling technology.

• Members

Deffo psychological. I have both Good and Bad Tone Days when the same guitar(s) going via the same cable into the same amp at the same setting -- hey, it's a Champion 600: the only variable is a volume control -- can sound sublime or ridiculous, and all points in between. It's yer ears, maaaaaaaaaaan, and all the stuff in between 'em.

• Members

Perception of sound is always relative, never constant. It will be affected by what comes before and after, environment, etc.

I ignore it all. I have decent equipment, I play OK. I know I'll sound fine to an audience despite whatever little quirks I may perceive myself. When playing live with a band or even mixing done a studio track, you going to be dealing with guitar tones that would normally sound horrible and thin when isolated by themselves, but gel perfectly with other instruments when all mix together.

"Close enough for rock and roll," is all I care about.

• Members

I used to have really variable tone using valve amps, pedals, all sorts.

Then one day I bought a processor and an SS amp.

All tones programmed. No settings ever changed. Until my little SS amp died around 9 years later I had consistent tone I could rely on every time. It's the little changes that we make to volume, tone etc etc that mess things up.

Use a different cable? Different capacitance=different tone.

• Members

My tone certainly sounds different to me from day to day. I figure things like temperature play a part, but I'd guess that a fair bit is in my head too. Sometimes it seems like my tone changes while I'm playing. Obviously tubes warm up, but it seems like more than that :idk:

Archived