$300-ish What to get?

weehaw

• Members

Looking to spend in the $300 range on some new gear. Trying to decide what to get. Here are 3 things that have popped up on my list.

1. Ibanez ART-100: $299 Been wanting a LP style but something a bit more modern. I played one at a local store and was blown away by how well it played. Playability is a huge factor for me in picking a guitar. I don't care so much what it looks like or what name is on the headstock as long as I can do what I need to do with the guitar and at least the one I played in the store fit the bill.

457665.jpg

2. Fender Super Champ XD: $299 I don't suppose I need a new amp as much as I need a new guitar but I really like the features on this one and would love a small combo with great tone for home playing when I don't want to blow the doors off with my other rigs.

530262.jpg

3. Telecaster (Squier or other)

268320.jpg

Ahh, if all of life's decisions were this fun to deal with!!!

• Members

Man. I was in the same predicament last week. I decided to get one of these

and convert it into a fretless.

What guitars and amps do you already have? We might be able to come up with a balanced solution or even a recommendation that you haven't thought of.

My current gear is in my sig. I am happy with my gigging rig which consists of a Rocktron Chameleon preamp, Peavey Classic 120 power amp, midi footswitch, and Rivera 2x12. I got the Windsor and Lopoline 2x12 as a fun rock rig to jam and record with and one of the reasons for wanting the Super Champ XD is to have a small combo with great clean sound and can be loud enough to A/B with the Windsor but still have some versatility to be used by itself for songwriting or practicing or whatever.

I only have 2 electric guitars (LTD SC500 & Squier 51) plus an acoustic/eclectric Washburn, so I was kind of wanting to add to my collection in that area too.

• Members

I always like to upgrade what I have in that situation (pickups, speakers, nuts, patch cables, etc) and maybe one really nice pedal or something that I've been craving.

I have considered this too. I have two spare speakers lying around not in a cab at the moment but I could always use some better cables, maybe a rack tuner and/or a power conditioner. I go back and forth on upgrading pickups especially in my SC500. Part of me wants to keep it stock but I know it would sound a bit better with new pickups but I have so much control with my Chameleon I can compensate a bit for the current pickups.

• Members

If I were to spend $300 today, I'd get:

$120 Barber Direct Drive

$140 BG Vintage 60 Pickups

$45 Warehouse Speaker Veteran 30 for my backup backup amp, a Behringer V-Ampire

Of the things you listed, I'd lean mostly towards the Fender amp.

• Members

If I were to spend $300 today, I'd get:

$120 Barber Direct Drive

$140 BG Vintage 60 Pickups

$45 Warehouse Speaker Veteran 30 for my backup backup amp, a Behringer V-Ampire

Of the things you listed, I'd lean mostly towards the Fender amp.

I have the Veteran 30's in my Lopoline 2x12, they are great speakers but they definitely add a lot of color to your tone.

• Members

I have the Veteran 30's in my Lopoline 2x12, they are great speakers but they definitely add a lot of color to your tone.

I hear ya... I have a Celestion Relic 30 in my main amp. If I were to actually buy speakers (as opposed to listing what I'd do on the internet :poke: ) I'd get a probably Hellatone 30 for my Prowler and move the Relic 30 to the V-Ampire, but I mostly only use the V-Ampire for higher gain stuff and I've always found Vintage 30s to work well with high gain.

• Members

I highly suggest the Fender Super Champ XD. Mine just arrived yesterday and I am amazed at the sound for that price! I took a chance and ordered it without playing it since no one around here had one. I watched a bunch of clips on YouTube and was very impressed. I got to do a quick run through with it yesterday and am really happy with the sound of it. It really does have the Fender sparkle to it. Most of the HarmonyCentral reviews agree. It is a very good deal for the price.

• Members

I highly suggest the Fender Super Champ XD. Mine just arrived yesterday and I am amazed at the sound for that price! I took a chance and ordered it without playing it since no one around here had one. I watched a bunch of clips on YouTube and was very impressed. I got to do a quick run through with it yesterday and am really happy with the sound of it. It really does have the Fender sparkle to it. Most of the HarmonyCentral reviews agree. It is a very good deal for the price.

I too have been impressed with the youtube videos and hope to be able to play one this week sometime. I just get more excited about amps than guitars for some reason but I feel like I need a another guitar especially if my '51 goes under the knife, so to speak, and I'm the one doing the cutting! :eek:

• Members

I was going to buy a Super Champ XD with my tax return, but my car has decided to start leaking oil REALLY badly. I suppose I should keep my priorities in line and fix the car. If I were you, I would go with the Super Champ XD because its a lot better piece of equipment than the others you were thinking about.

Archived