Would you go around with an USA Strat in a shitty gig bag?

camelface

• Members

I don't wanna carry this huge case with me around the city but I have this little {censored}ty Squier starter pack gig bag.....

I probably won't do it.

I think I'll have to invest in a sturdy bag as cases are pretty impractical if you have to go around...

• Members

personally, no.

but here's an interesting factoid: joe strummer carried, i believe, the same tele everywhere w/him throughout his career w/out even so much as a gig bag. granted, this tele was {censored}ed to hell, but still...:freak:

i will stop and contradict myself here: it may have been better cared for near the end of his career...

• Members

I regularly haul my Am Dlx Strat in a good gig bag. Yeah, it's gotten some dents but it adds to the mojo, IMO.

Of course it's nice to baby your $2,000 baby but when you're gigging weight is a major issue. The ability to haul your guitar on your back, your amp in one hand and your pedalboard in the other is crucial. No fuss, no muss.

• Members

I regularly haul my Am Dlx Strat in a good gig bag. Yeah, it's gotten some dents but it adds to the mojo, IMO.

Of course it's nice to baby your $2,000 baby but when you're gigging weight is a major issue. The ability to haul your guitar on your back, your amp in one hand and your pedalboard in the other is crucial.
No fuss, no
muss

AND no muss... cles!!!

• Members
AND no muss... cles!!!

In case you hadn't noticed, it's Alecto, not Kali. :rolleyes:

There is another way I could carry a hardshell case while hauling my amp and pedalboard to the gig, but that would (a) get me arrested and (b) cause every other guy around me to feel extremely inadequate. :D

• Members

Of course it's nice to baby your $2,000 baby but when you're gigging weight is a major issue. The ability to haul your guitar on your back, your amp in one hand and your pedalboard in the other is crucial. No fuss, no muss.

A guitar carried on the back and in the city and only in a gig bag is just asking for a broken neck or similar horrifing incident. But if an extra 7lbs is that much than you need a bud too help you imo.

• Members

I'm no fan of light-weight gig bags. All they really are just dust covers.

But I do use primarily heavy-duty gig bags (Levy's and Reunion Blues) and I carry old and expensive guitars in them.

For me, hard cases are for traveling and at gigs (where there are way too many people stumbling around and equipment often has to be piled in the back corner). They are too bulky and cumbersome for just heading out to jam, rehearse, play with a friend or go to lessons. There sheer bulk makes them a liability in tight, high population settings because it's harder to maintain a good clearance from closing doors, hazards, vehicles, etc. and even harder to move it out of the way fast. Most vintage style cases offer false security and don't hold a guitar firmly enough to protect the neck and headstock securely from hard impacts anyway (that's why my hard cases are all Ameritage).

I can throw a gig bag over my shoulder and hold it close in on my body, and when I move it moves with me. And a quality gig bag is solid enough to protect my guitar from anything short of being hit by heavy equipment or a vehicle.

My gig bags run about $120 each (my hard cases $400, and the one Reunion blues gig bag is $250), and are re-enforced to protect the bridge and strings and offer as much padding as any hard case; it just doesn't have the bulky wooden shell that turns carrying a guitar into an obstacle course.

• Members

If I'm hand-carrying, all my solidbodies travel in (Fender or Granite) gigbags, and that includes the Custom Shop and 1963 Strats. If the guitars had to travel in the back of a van, where there was a danger that a sudden stop might topple a Super Reverb or bass cab over on top of them, then they'd be in hard cases. Acoustics and semis INVARIABLY get hard cases, except for the reso which, being heavy metal (if you know what I mean) is probably stronger than any case I could put it in.

• Members

I wouldn't use a paper thin gig bag -- even for a Squier. I've got one that seems to be made of tent material lined with felt. Ick.

A decent, cheap used gig bag should be relatively easy to acquire. Fenders are born to go on planes, trains, and automobiles: it isn't going to get hurt in a decent bag vs. a case.

Archived