Stereo Guitar Cables

jvhc

• Members

So I bought a footswitch for my Peavey Classic 30, and apparantly it can't just use a normal guitar cable to connect it - it needs a stereo cable. It has just one normal 1/4inch jack, as does the connection to the amp.

I've read Dimarzio cables last for absolutely ages, so I went on the website:

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/cables/ (Click on Cables --> Instrument --> Stereo Guitar Cable)

It says:

The cable is covered in a durable nylon overbraid jacket color coded with one black and one red leg for easy identification, with a total length of 15 feet (4.6 m).

Does that mean that it's one of those cables that has a single plug at one end, and two plugs coming out the other? Or will it be fine for the footswitch?

Thanks.

• Members

The Dimarzio one one the linked site is a Y cable. Stereo plug at one end, and then it splits into two mono cables...one red cable, one black cable.

A guitar cable is not needed, no audio signal goes between the amp and footswitch, just any 3 conductor cable with a 1/4 stereo plug (wired for tip, ring and shaft). You can make your own with parts from whatever the British equivalent of Radio Shack is.

The Peavey switches I have seen have the cable permanent wired on.

00054360_2.jpg

• Members

I've also never seen a Peavey foot pedal that didn't have the cable attached to the pedal.

That said, you should be able to use any 1/4" trs cable. I've even used headphone extension cables with my footswitch if I need the attached cable to be longer.

• Members
So I bought a footswitch for my Peavey Classic 30, and apparantly it can't just use a normal guitar cable to connect it - it needs a stereo cable. It has just one normal 1/4inch jack, as does the connection to the amp.

I've read Dimarzio cables last for absolutely ages, so I went on the website:

(Click on Cables --> Instrument --> Stereo Guitar Cable)

It says:

The cable is covered in a durable nylon overbraid jacket color coded with one black and one red leg for easy identification, with a total length of 15 feet (4.6 m).

Does that mean that it's one of those cables that has a single plug at one end, and two plugs coming out the other? Or will it be fine for the footswitch?

Thanks.

You just want a typical TRS cable. Look in the live sound and recording section.

• Members

i have a stereo ric. made my cable from a mic cable with some new ends

Well, now the DiMarzio cable in the OP is perfect for the Ric. But when I had my Ric I rewired it for the Carvin stereo setup, which allows for two separate mono cables. With only one cable plugged in (to jack #1), both PU's go to that cable just like any basic mono guitar. When you plug a second cable in the #2 jack, then it splits the neck PU off the #1 jack and #2 handles the neck PU and #1 handles the bridge PU. No stereo cable needed. But I never used it, splitting off the separate PU's just never worked in my situation.

• Members
The Dimarzio one one the linked site is a Y cable. Stereo plug at one end, and then it splits into two mono cables...one red cable, one black cable.

A guitar cable is not needed, no audio signal goes between the amp and footswitch, just any 3 conductor cable with a 1/4 stereo plug (wired for tip, ring and shaft). You can make your own with parts from whatever the British equivalent of Radio Shack is.

QUOTE]

I've got one of those stereo cables for my Parkwood Hybrid guitar. Stereo end plugged into the guitar and two mono cables (ring, tip) out and one end plugged into an acoustic amp (ring) and the other plugged into an electric amp (tip).

There's a three way switch on the guitar to choose the output (acoustic, acoustic+electric and electric).

Radio Shack is one of my favorite stores to 'Macgyver' any unusual electric connections that may come up.:thu:

• Members

I've got one of those stereo cables for my Parkwood Hybrid guitar. Stereo end plugged into the guitar and two mono cables (ring, tip) out and one end plugged into an acoustic amp (ring) and the other plugged into an electric amp (tip).

There's a three way switch on the guitar to choose the output (acoustic, acoustic+electric and electric).

Radio Shack is one of my favorite stores to 'Macgyver' any unusual electric connections that may come up.
:thu:

You have an H4 too? I bought one a while back but haven't gigged much with it yet. I wish it had dual jacks instead of the single TRS one. My Hamer DuoTone has separate jacks for the piezo and magnetic pickups. I use a Samson Airline ordinarily and when I ise my Hamer I just have a standard cable going to the mixer for the piezo and I just have to swap the Airline jack/transmitter. With the Parkwood I have to figure out how to do that w/o having the jack/transmitter just dangling somewhere where I split the signals from TRS to dual TS. Maybe I can loop that lead around through my strap end area or something. Either way, it just isn't as handy.

• Members

Sweet, i'll have a look round for a balanced 1/4" cable then.

Yeah, I used to have the original Peavey made footswitch, but I lost it at a gig. So I went on a search and found some guy who made footswitches himself which looked pretty good. They also had LEDs - something the Peavey made ones don't. Same price as Peavey's own too, so I went for it.

Archived