So name something you think no one else would like.

Trick Fall

• Members

Korg Rhythm 55

Roland MC-09 [very satisfying TB-303 emu]

All 7 Alesis ModFX

Mitch Miller...& The Gang

Whistlin' Jack Smith

Whistling Music in General

Throat singing

Diamanda Galas

Karen Finley

Mike Patton

Pere Ubu

Cilantro

All my Kazookas [use 'em on EVERYTHING]

Land lines

Winter

Cicadas

Ferrets

Very Tall Women

Ken Russell's "Tommy"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2) The first Star Trek film

I like it. I like that the sets are lit funny - sort of dark, and all of the regulars seem to have just stepped into the "we can be a bit darker/real this time around" vibe.

The exterior opticals were nice as well...

AND, yes, it was slow and plodding...

Which is great, because it's the anti-MTV.

I also liked the fresh take on the interior set designs; for some reason it seems a more logical progression from the series than the later movies IMO; I'm not sure why, and I'm going to exercise mental restraint in not thinking into that deeper....

BUT, I'm going to up the pot by stating "I like Alan Dean Foster's book adaptation as well".... I wish they'd incorporated some thing from that (like insights into daily routine, the detail of places built into the ship to utilize non-planned for "wasted space" as privacy areas, other peculiar (but creatively thought out) details..

• Members

My weak spot that no one seems to like (or admit to) seems centered on certain 70's things:

The movies Damnation Alley, Rollerball, Logan's Run (and the original books for all three...)...

Silly Love Songs, Wings songs in general. In fact, I think the most brilliant thing McCartney has done (and maybe one of my favorite all time songs) is the live acappela version of "Blue Bird";

Songs found on that Time Life "70's Explosion" and "AM Gold" - like the guitar solo in "Easy" by the Commodores, which I think is a brilliantly simple solo;

The Carpenters.

The snack food "Doo Dads", which apparently has been recently removed from the market because nobody likes it anymore?

Red Bull, straight, nothing added.

Trying oddball canned drinks from ethnic groceries, like "Chin Chin Basil Seed Drink with Honey";

Marvelling at IKEA's wonderfully comprehensive Scandinavian design aesthete at their gargantuan "Scandinavian WalMart Airport Terminal" stores;

Putting on socks standing up?

Cantilever brakes on mountain bikes instead of discs?

1st generation Fender Bullet Reverb ss practice amps (ss sounding, but devoid of harsh midrange and responsive) (later ones sound HORRIBLE, HORRID, NASTY)

Ok, I'll stop, I should be asleep...

• Members

Leon Redbone.

In a Peaches crate in my basement, I think I still have the first 3 Leon Redbone albums, autographed. Yes, vinyl.

I liked his music after I saw him on SNL...what, about 30 years ago?!?:eek:

Archived