So name something you think no one else would like.

Trick Fall

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:thu:
I know for a fact that I am the only person on this planet the likes the movie version "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." The Bee Gees did an awsome job with the vocal lines, and bass player for the soundtrack was simply amazing, though I don't know who he was.

:cool:

No. My old bass player unabashedly dug that movie. I {censored} you not.

To tell you the truth, it's hard to imagine in this day and age, but Wayne was raised on Broadway musicals, old time Gospel, and country folk stuff. He really never listened to rock at all as a kid (even now). And by "rock" I mean anything rock. When kids in the 60s were digging on the Beatles, Stones, and Kinks, Wayne was on another planet. So when that movie came out, he kinda thought that was real rock. We had to kinda teach him a few things.

In Wayne's defense, though, you won't find a better Broadway style tenor anywhere.

• Members

No. My old bass player unabashedly dug that movie. I {censored} you not.

To tell you the truth, it's hard to imagine in this day and age, but Wayne was raised on Broadway musicals, old time Gospel, and country folk stuff. He really never listened to rock at all as a kid (even now). And by "rock" I mean anything rock. When kids in the 60s were digging on the Beatles, Stones, and Kinks, Wayne was on another planet. So when that movie came out, he kinda thought that was real rock. We had to kinda teach him a few things.

In Wayne's defense, though, you won't find a better Broadway style tenor anywhere.

:D

Both my folks were big musical fans and for a few years I went with them once a fortnight in season to see road show versions of classic musicals (often with semi-big names for the era, often one or two of the stars from B'way versions of the shows). And we watched a lot of musicals on TV, too.

To this day, my favorite musical movie is Kismet. (Though I'm an insane fan of the Ginger Rogers-Fred Astaire musicals. I freaking LOVE Ginger and if they ever invent a time machine in my lifetime -- and convincing age-corrective plastic surgery -- I'm going back in time to the thirties and throwing myself at Ginger like the relentless never-say-die hero in some romantic froth of a comedy.)

I didn't see the 12th Century Baghdad-set Kismet until I was somewhat older. (First time I saw it as an adult was -- apparently coincidentally -- on one of the classic movie channels during the 1991 Iraq war. It had been scheduled for a long time -- I was waiting with VHS in hand -- so I guess it was just a coincidence. Then, again, I think I also saw one of the other 1001 Nights movies at the same time. The one with Maureen O'Hara as a flame-haired Kurdish princess. Interesting casting. [Though some of the Kurds do have reddish brown hair, to be sure. But not Maureen O'Hara red.])

But my folks had the Broadway cas album and were playing it a lot when I was going through my French Foreign Legion phase (if anyone remembers the old 50's TV show)... so there'd be this middle eastern flavored Borodin music (that musical was mostly based on Polosvitzian Dances, IIRC) but cranked up to Hollywood "Dervish" tempos and I'd be plowing around the house with my toy "burp gun" (a WWII era machine pistol thing with a ratched slide that, when released, made a vaguely machine-gun like noise... it was so cool) with a baseball cap with a handkercheif safety pinned onto the back (a neck sun shield, get it?) So, my appreciation of the Broadway classics was a bit skewed even then.

Happily my mom was really young and into rock and roll so I heard my share of that in the 50s. And then around the same time we were going to the musicals (in a theatre in the round, no less) I discovered the then really cool FM scene: jazz and folk and odd eclectic stations that played everything from classical to the old Brit radio comedy Goon Shows.

For reasons that had as much to do with teen alienation as anything, I stopped listening to rock when I became a teenager and discovered that other world of musics. Still, when things started getting interesting in the mid-60s, my separate little musical worlds started getting subsumed by this new self-aware beast rock...

For instance, I probably wouldn't have paid a lot of attention to the Doors if I hadn't noticed a Brecht-Weill song I was already fond of (by a lyrically correct version by Dave Van Ronk), "Alabama Song."

I thought that was amazingly hip for a bunch of dumb ass rockers, if not necessarily amazingly hip.

But then I started getting hooked in by all the psychedelia and the burgeoning blues rock thing was a natural jump for me, coming from listening to folk blues... plus the hippies liked to mix acoustic guitars with feeback and flutes and... well, I was hooked.

And, then, of course, the whole world rediscovered musicals in the form of rock musicals like Tommy, JC Superstar, and so on -- so, naturally, I had to tune out of that scene for a while. Tommy. So gay.

• Members

Major Airline Crash's. Studying them has been my hobby for quite a while now., I collect photo's, recordings of Black Box's etc., however, this doesn't mean I enjoy the fact that people have lost their lives in them. Although my hobby is rare and bordering on the perevrse, I am not alone, so there are other people who exist who have the same interest, but apart from forums on the internet(Air Disaster.com etc.), I never run into them.

Oopsie. Soooo...I'm thinkin 9/11 figgers in there somehow?

Archived