How do you sell mp3s on a webpage?

boosh

• Members

Are Paypal micropayments a partial solution for some of us? Their site says:

What are micropayments?

PayPal micropayments pricing is designed for transactions under $2.00 USD. The fees are 5%+ $0.05 USD per transaction. Micropayments are currently available to merchants with Verified Business/Premier accounts who receive U.S. to U.S. transactions, U.K. to U.K. transactions or EU to EU transactions. Merchants can learn more about micropayments pricing by contacting micropayments@paypal.com.

So, on a $1.00 sale, you'd get $.90. Only rub I see is it says if, say, you are in the USA, it's for U.S. to U.S. transactions, as if you had a customer outside the U.S., it wouldn't be available?

• Members

Wow, check out www.broadjam.com!

Broadjam gives you an opportunity to level the playing field in a market where distributors have the control. Sell $.99 downloads on Broadjam and receive one of the highest payouts anywhere.

You keep: $.80 per song sale

I gotta check into this one. I've been using their critique system for a couple of years. Someone just gave me a review and I saw their banner saying 80 cent payout and clicked on it.

It says you can request a check every quarter. Some pay monthly. Also, you must request a check instead of it being automatic? I'll have to check that. Also, not sure, you might have to have a paid account with them. (To host your page.)

• Members

Okay,... well I looked at all the options and decided to go through with the paypal thingy. Most sales will be in The Netherlands I guess and that micropayments plan is okay for that. If stuff really starts rolling I can allways upgrade to a different account.

• Members

Ah,.... so you know Tempamental ;)

I snatched the newest Michael jackson song of his page,....A co-production with Pras from the Fugees,.... I haven't seen anyone talk about it on the forum,... Maybe it's a secret MJ has a new song?????

I have it for a week now.

Snocap uses paypal also and throws a few cents on top off that so ,...

I hate paying for things I can do myself ;)

• Members

Who allows sales of mp3s at hight rates? 128 sounds bad but 256 is worth the money to me. If iTunes had better quality, I'd be much more likely to buy from them.

As mentioned above, Soundclick offers both free and pay-for memberships. Free members are allowed to upload unlimited 128 kbps mp3s (10 MB ea or under). Subscribing members are allowed to upload high bitrate files up to 40 MB each and have more perqs like more page customizing options and so on.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

That looks like a pretty good solution, Oliver!

As a web database guy I was looking at the demo and the implementations on your site and a couple others and doing the math. $68 for the single band version looks like a pretty good deal, considering.

• Members

So far its been good for me. I really dislike a lot of the middlemen. The only one I can say is fair besides having an easybe store is Tunecore (which I use to get my songs onto iTunes.

Remember the main thing is you have to really work to get people to your store. The great new thing about the internet is we can have this distribution model... the bad thing about the internet is we can ALL have this distribution model.

• Members

That's connected to paypal and they take 32cts from each 99ct we want for a track...

Paypal is worse than major recordcompanies man.

Frankly, a major artist, for a major label, would stand the same chance of getting 66% of gross sales, as would an ice cream cone would have of not melting when tossed into an active volcano.

It's actually a pretty good deal...

Most industries (appliances, furniture; etc.) give 50% of the gross to the retailer.

• Members

Frankly, a major artist, for a major label, would stand the same chance of getting 66% of gross sales, as would an ice cream cone would have of not melting when tossed into an active volcano.

Most industries (appliances, furniture; etc.) give 50% of the gross to the retailer.

But all they are doing is processing a transaction robotically.

• Members

Something to remember is you set the price using the easybe.com store so new releases can be more than .99 and old ones can be .49. You can also set song to be free or have it so people can only buy full albums/eps. They key is your in charge. By the way I have some free songs in the Things to Come Records store.

I have read Paypal is working on micropayments. Let's hope it happens.

As far as where I do best. It's iTunes via Tunecore by a landslide but thats only because my albums as The Horrorist on are there. One of the big issues I have with easybe.com store and others is they do not allow territorial lockouts. I only own the rights to my albums for the USA and Canada (the album is released in Europe on a German label). So as of now I have to keep them out of my own easybe store. But I still sell all my record label's releases including my own singles with the easybe store.

Honestly this is probably all in its infancy. Who knows what will pan out. I do know it will probably end up that the people with good music who also are tech savy and on fire in the self promotion realm will do well and the others won't. Thats life!

• Members

That's only if they buy one at a time. If you were to sell an album of songs for, say, $9, your payout to Paypal is only about $.66, if I recall the structure correctly.

Granted, individual sales are what folks tend to talk about these days -- because it's a mark of the sea change going on.

I suspect one could upsell to albums by using a creative pricing structure to emphasize what a good deal buying a whole album can be...

Same is usually true for hosted independent service providers like beauticians, barbers, and sex workers. The house takes half.

Archived