Which Color Squier Bullet Should I Buy?

fuzztone

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went with the daphne blue, since it's one of the first "custom colors" made available in 1960. The fiesta red is really nice too. The white is very vintagey-looking, so that'd be a nice choice. They did a great job on the sunburst too. Tough decision!

Here's mine after a bit of modding :

• Members

My instinct would be either the Daphne or the Antique White but the antique white I saw wasn't quite as yellow as in that pic.

My two favorites would either be the Daphne blue, to which I'd add a mint green guard, or the Antique White to which I'd add black pickup covers and knobs ala Blackmore.

The Pink is pretty hot too, but is less me than the other two.

• Members
I went with the daphne blue, since it's one of the first "custom colors" made available in 1960. The fiesta red is really nice too. The white is very vintagey-looking, so that'd be a nice choice. They did a great job on the sunburst too. Tough decision!

That looks really nice! Where did you get the yellowed plastic parts from?

• Members

That looks awesome Kid!What mods did you do?Tuners?What else?

• Members

That looks awesome Kid! What mods did you do? Tuners? What else?

I was amazed with how nice this little Bullet Strat was stock, but being the adventurous type, I decided to take it apart, and make kind of a 1960 Strat replica out of it.

After dissassembling the guitar, I stripped the satin finish from the maple part of the neck, filled the stock tuner mounting screw holes and the D-G string tree screw hole, drilled out the tuner shaft holes to 11/32" so that a set of Wilkinson "Kluson" style tuners and press-in sleeves would fit, sanded everything smooth, then tinted it with Fender amber from Reranch. Then I applied probably in the neighborhood of 40-50 coats of clear gloss lacquer, followed by wet-sanding, more wet-sanding, then hand polishing the maple parts of the neck to get it up to the final gloss. When that was done, I installed a set of Wikinson "Kluson" style tuners and sleeves that I got from GFS.

When that was done, I replaced the original white plastic nut with a pre-slotted GraphTech Strat nut, shimming the "fat string" end .020 with a piece of rosewood veneer to match the string height of my other Strats.

I tried several different pickguard colors... the tortoise shell PG looked nice, but my local GC only had two of them, and they were both so warped that they were unusable. So next I tried a white pearl PG from the same GC, but they looked too yellow. Next I tried a mint green PG, but it really clashed with the Daphne Blue body, so I wound up using the stock white single ply PG. It actually looks the best, and I believe is what a 1960 Strat originally came with. The added bonus was that the stock trem cover matches the pickguard, and because the Bullet trem cover is a slightly different size and has a different screw hole layout compared to my MIA and MIM Strats, I didn't need to make a new one.

Although the stock pups sound good (especially the neck pup), I decided to try a set of the GFS closeout cream color overwound single coil Strat pups and went with an AllParts cream knob set. I like the sound of these inexpensive pups too - hotter than vintage, but they still have the "quack" and "chime" character of regular Strat pups through my Tremolux, and they really scream through my Marshall half stack.

The stock six screw vintage trem is actually very good, so I kept it, but swapped out the original saddles for a set of GraphTech Stringsavers... I use the trems on my Strats, so the GraphTech nut and saddles help keep it in tune, and also keep me from breaking so many strings. ;)

I replaced the neck plate with a blank chrome replacement, and had the serial number stamped into the replacement by a local metal fabricator.

Then I went to the local craft store and bought a roll of copper foil to shield the body cavity. The shielding turned out great, resulting in the quietest Strat I own. As a side note, it looked like the body cavity was shielded with a carbon-based conductive paint, but decided to use copper anyway.

As you can see, it's reassembled now, and restrung, intonated, dialed in, and sounds great! It took longer than I thought it would (dinking around with different pickguards!), but I wasn't in a hurry, and wanted it to come out really well.

:)

• Members
...but the antique white I saw wasn't quite as yellow as in that pic...

I got an arctic white bullet in the last production run (eg. from china), and the color is about what's shown in the pic. In the strat world I've seen whiter ones, and i've seen yellower ones that we're initially whiter.

• Members

That looks really nice! Where did you get the yellowed plastic parts from?

Trick for making white knobs and white pickup covers look aged.

Soak them in warm coffee for about an hour and then check them. You don't want to get them to dark. If they aren't dark enough yet then soak them a little longer. This trick works great, just keep an eye on them or you can turn them to dark.

• Members

Pretty sweet mod-job there Kid. How do you like the basswood body? Think it makes a dif'?

Thanks!

You know, the basswood body seems just as lively as my MIM alder body Strat.

I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish when I had her apart. It had some type of black conductive paint in the body cavity too for shielding, which really surprised me on a $100 guitar.

• Members

Get the Arctic White. I actually bought one for myself and it is so sexy!:love: The finish on mine is very well done--a beautiful aged-looking, almost creamy, white.

I also wanted to replace the stock nut but wasn't sure what pre-slotted ones would work. Any help?

When that was done, I replaced the original white plastic nut with a pre-slotted GraphTech Strat nut, shimming the "fat string" end .020 with a piece of rosewood veneer to match the string height of my other Strats.

I was amazed with how nice this little Bullet Strat was stock, but being the adventurous type, I decided to take it apart, and make kind of a 1960 Strat replica out of it.

After dissassembling the guitar, I stripped the satin finish from the maple part of the neck, filled the stock tuner mounting screw holes and the D-G string tree screw hole, drilled out the tuner shaft holes to 11/32" so that a set of Wilkinson "Kluson" style tuners and press-in sleeves would fit, sanded everything smooth, then tinted it with Fender amber from Reranch. Then I applied probably in the neighborhood of 40-50 coats of clear gloss lacquer, followed by wet-sanding, more wet-sanding, then hand polishing the maple parts of the neck to get it up to the final gloss. When that was done, I installed a set of Wikinson "Kluson" style tuners and sleeves that I got from GFS.

I tried several different pickguard colors... the tortoise shell PG looked nice, but my local GC only had two of them, and they were both so warped that they were unusable. So next I tried a white pearl PG from the same GC, but they looked too yellow. Next I tried a mint green PG, but it really clashed with the Daphne Blue body, so I wound up using the stock white single ply PG. It actually looks the best, and I believe is what a 1960 Strat originally came with. The added bonus was that the stock trem cover matches the pickguard, and because the Bullet trem cover is a slightly different size and has a different screw hole layout compared to my MIA and MIM Strats, I didn't need to make a new one.

Although the stock pups sound good (especially the neck pup), I decided to try a set of the GFS closeout cream color overwound single coil Strat pups and went with an AllParts cream knob set. I like the sound of these inexpensive pups too - hotter than vintage, but they still have the "quack" and "chime" character of regular Strat pups through my Tremolux, and they really scream through my Marshall half stack.

The stock six screw vintage trem is actually very good, so I kept it, but swapped out the original saddles for a set of GraphTech Stringsavers... I use the trems on my Strats, so the GraphTech nut and saddles help keep it in tune, and also keep me from breaking so many strings.
;)

I replaced the neck plate with a blank chrome replacement, and had the serial number stamped into the replacement by a local metal fabricator.

Then I went to the local craft store and bought a roll of copper foil to shield the body cavity. The shielding turned out great, resulting in the quietest Strat I own. As a side note, it looked like the body cavity was shielded with a carbon-based conductive paint, but decided to use copper anyway.

As you can see, it's reassembled now, and restrung, intonated, dialed in, and sounds great! It took longer than I thought it would (dinking around with different pickguards!), but I wasn't in a hurry, and wanted it to come out really well.

Wow!! Tip of my hat to you sir!! Much loving work to make a guitar a sweet instrument!!!:thu::thu:

Archived