The Marhsall MGs get a lot of negative comments

RUExp?

• Members

i'll chime in another good word for the mg series. i have the 250 and have been very satisfied. i should mention though that i'm a big fan of jazz guitar tones and so i mostly use the clean channel. i find it has a nice chime to it as well as warmth. for my distortions i usually use pedals instead of the amp, especially because the 250 only has the higher gain channel and not the od1/od2 combination. however, i've metaled out on numerous occasions with the amp's distortion and with the right eq settings have found the kind of distortion i like. more of the "old guy" sound as the video calls it...warmer, and thicker in the mids. actually i've got a recording of a song i used it on that i'll probably post tomorrow.

I'd like to hear it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I pleyed a few that came through my shop and I wound up selling. I thought they sounded darn good and definatly cop the Marshall tone.

But on the other hand, if you are gonna compare them to boutique amps? Dr-Z's, and Top-Hats or Budda? Then ya, they do sound lousey compared to high end amps like those?

For the basement and practice witha good set of speakers? They are fine.

• Members

I pleyed a few that came through my shop and I wound up selling. I thought they sounded darn good and definatly cop the Marshall tone.

But on the other hand, if you are gonna compare them to boutique amps? Dr-Z's, and Top-Hats or Budda? Then ya they do sound lousey compared to high end amp like those?

For the basement and practice witha good set of speakers? They are fine.

Yeah, you gotta remember that its like $600 for the halfstack new. Some guys spend more than that on just the cab alone. And then there are some where just one speaker costs that much, more or less. You gotta think different leagues here.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I played the MG100DFX combo at a gig once in the old days where we still shared gear :D... it didn't sound too good, but it was loud enough and didn't really have any problems cutting through the mix.

So definitely way better than a Line6 Spider... I guess if you find one cheap it's OK - but for the price you'd pay new there are definitely better amps...

• Members

i absolutely {censored}ing hate them.... horrible sounding amps imo... and it's got nothing to do with their rep... or that they're solid state... my friend had a half stack and a small combo... i've jammed with them... there is just something about their tone that is like nails down a blackboard for me

I bought a MG50 at the beginning of the year, And while the reverb and clean channel sounded great, the OD channel sounded like {censored}. Gritty, {censored}ty, muddy distortion with no real "marshall" tone.

The midrange was also strange, it had a feel at low-mid-high, no matter where you put the knob, it sounded very boxey (the midrange), to the point that even on the clean channel it took forever to find the sweet spot, and on the OD channel, that sweet spot just didn't exist.

The FX built into the amp were among the absolute {censored}ing worst effects I've ever heard. Even clean with chorus sounded like a rabid badger slowly drowning. My digitech RP50 (the $50 pedal) had better effects on every level (except maybe the reverb).

So I returned it. If I wanted an overpriced amp for clean only, I'd buy a fender.

I owned a nice Marshall 50W solid state combo from the late 80's that had Marshall sound and Marshall BALLS. The MG series is nothing but a pile of {censored} that should be considered the greatest failure of their company's existence. Only a fantastic, top notch, and inexpensive follow up amp (next model) would save their reputation (for me) at this point.

• Members

I dont have an MG series, but I do have an AVT series amp that seems to be hated on a lot. But I will tell you that the magic is in the speakers. I play my AVT through a 1960a and at low to mid volumes, it sounds very close to a DSL 50 I tried through it.

• Members

For the price the MG series is horrible. I my friend's sounded bad, but I thought it was the way he had it set up (something ridiculous like treble all the way, no contour or something) so I put it on better settings and I still didn't like it. For the same (if you are considering a 30 watt or bigger amp) you could get a Vox Valvetronix or better yet a tube amp.

• Members

Peavey on the other hand make much better solid state amps - their transtube circuit is pretty damn decent IMO and their Bandits and smaller brethren are cool amps if your on a budget. I remember a demo on a Total Guitar CD (UK guitar mag) and the player made the bandit sound absolutely awesome! If I'd have heard that tone without knowing what was used to get that amp I'd have guessed some expensive tube amp!

...and like someone said - when your the one playing the amp and you can hear the sound coming out of the speakers and feel the amps response to your playing its a whole different ball game to listening to some poor audio demo on youtube or a mp3.

Stop - sorry. Peavey make the worst amps on the market (Peavey Bandit, should I say anymore). If you what a decent SS Amp look at mid to late 90's Fender Amps - especially the American made Princeton 112 plus; excellent cleans, ok drive.

PS- my 7 year old daughter has a MG10 and it is a little beauty for a practice amp. I have a AVT50x as a backup amp and while it's drive channel is good, the clean channel is a load of {censored} when playing Gibsons (excluding 335), Fender guitars and 335 type guitars aren't too bad thru the clean. I would never have it as my main amp, too much of a one trick pony.

• Members

I have a AVT50x as a backup amp and while it's drive channel is good, the clean channel is a load of {censored} when playing Gibsons (excluding 335), Fender guitars and 335 type guitars aren't too bad thru the clean. I would never have it as my main amp, too much of a one trick pony.

That shows that we have completely different tastes - I wouldn't touch an AVT with a ten-foot pole... Horrible thin buzzy distortion, along with a clean channel that sounds like a crackling garbage bag... hooray! ;)

• Members

I had a show last night, and my DSL is still with Marshall for repairs. Didn't fancy gigging the cube (I think that it looks ridiculous next to my co-axemans TSL halfstack), so I borrrowed an MG100 1x12. Put it up on a stand, turned the gain down to 4, tweaked the EQ, and bugger my boots if that amp didn't sound pretty good. Our bands sound engineer reckoned she was getting a much crisper sound that was easier to eq and tweak at the board (mic's with an SM57). My only complaint would be that it was a little harsh, and with the time I had before the show to tweak it, I coudn't tame it. Took pedals well, although I think the noise gate/compresser helped improve matters.

Moral of this story - I think i'll look for an MG100 as a backup to keep in the trailer in case the DSL dies on me again.

• Members

One of the worst amps Marshall ever made.

I'd have to give that award to my first generation Marshall Valvestate 8080.

It not only sounds bad, but is plagued by the worst scratchy pot syndrome I've ever seen in an amp. It sounds like it will explode when you adjust the volume, gain and some of the EQ controls.

The VS amps where supposed to sound about as good as the real deal since they have a tube preamp, but they fall far short. Shallow, thin and harsh.

At least the MG series is a comparative bargain priced piece of gear without the pretenses of matching their tube tone, producing Marshall-esque tones and paint peeling volumes. At least a friend of mine likes his 100W 2x12 version

I can't speak to the second generation of Valvestate, but I insist mine take top honors for most sucky Marshall amp ever. ;)

$200 and it's yours - guitar not included

(pots can be cleaned out, had an amp tech do that for me once but it cost about $80 for the service and then the scratchy popping sounds started coming back in about one year.)

CherryBurst001.jpg

• Members

I really like the MG heads. Through a good cab they can sound pretty good.

Nice playing, and no personal offense intended here, but (and yes, I know its a YouTube video with {censored}ty audio), that tone sounded harsh and not very warm. I've watched some of your videos before and you get great sounds out of your tube Marshalls...the MG is clearly inferior. Now in a sense that's fine, because it's not nearly expensive, but if you've bought the head AND have spent the money on a decent cab, that's actually a fair amount of dough you've spent when you could have bough a nice 30W tube combo or something.

Archived