anyone prefer solid state?

jjpistols

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In all honesty, I don't know that I PREFER either one, but I've got no complaints about SS prices, and I've never not been able to coax a good sound out of a SS amp, presuming it was a decent amp.

I don't prefer them, either, but I like them just fine

but hopefully, by using words such as prefer, I can get people to start fighting about it so I can sit here and laugh later :wave:

• Members

There have been two tube amps that I have played through that made me understand the allure of tubes: an old Valco that was unbelievable (but way too expensive at GC--and far too fragile, as well) and a Silvertone 1482 Twin Twelve that made one understand what swamp-tone tremolo was all about.

All of the other tube amps I've played through have been disappointing, and some have been downright sterile and brittle.

My amp of choice right now is a solid state Vox Pathfinder 10 that reminds me of the aforementioned Valco.

• Members

I just sold an Epiphone Triggerman DSP 60 that I think I'm going to regret. It didn't sound very good at low bedroom volumes, but I took it out in the garage and cranked it up and found out how effing nice it was. It just needed a chance to open up.

The only reason I sold it is because a friend of mine was liquidating his gear, which included a Crate RFX200S. It kicks arse too. Does it sound like my Peavey Classic 50? No, but it sounds pretty damn good. Pick attacks are pretty dynamic with it too.

Also, my hybrids are decent - Fender Super Champ and Vox AD30VT. They both have solid state preamps.

• Members

I play through a SS Hughes & Kettner bass amp (a nice one at that, Quantum 310), though it has a tube pre, sounds great, I don't feel like I need to buy a guitar or tube amp anytime soon. I've never even owned a guitar amp :freak:.

• Members

This can veer pretty close to a sort of "is a screwdriver a better tool than a hammer" question. I find that some guitars work better with SS and some types of music work better with SS. A proper toolkit needs both.

Archived