Gibson BFG Les Paul: What Does BFG Mean?

Bbreaker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well I had to chose between time machine or time tunnel - but then most people probably do not remember time tunnel ...

timetunnel.jpg

So, ideally there would be the time tunnel and in the tunnel, floating, is a BFG, symbolizing how it comes back again ... and again ... ;-)

• Members

When I first saw one for a mad moment I thought it might be a Billy Gibbons signature model but the madness soon passed.

That's what I thought the first time I heard it too, I was so excited I called up a buddy of mine and said " dude, i think gibson just put out a Billy F'n Gibbon's signature les paul.

• Members

GOTW Studio with BFG electronics on the 'bay for $825 BIN -

For any BFG electronics lovers but looks haters out there.

those aren't bad. Bought one myself. Pretty noisy when you plug them in (for an LP) with the single coil neck and the non-wax potted HB bridge, but it has extra edginess from the bridge tone and the neck creates a great woman tone with some gain.

Not your daddy's LP, but a unique critter all its own.

• Members

3.5 times the cost for a lower serial? I can understand this from some vintage collector but from the manufacturer that's a pretty dick move.

They don't say so in the description but the headstocks on the $3000 ones are actually autographed by Les Paul himself (in very shaky handwriting.)

They may not be much to look at but they sure do sound good.

• Members

I would definitely pick one up if I could find one used. I'm probably one of the few that actually likes them.

I suppose when im playing I forget its a gibby and if im wearing a belt or keys are scratching...i dont really care.

• Members

I would definitely pick one up if I could find one used. I'm probably one of the few that actually likes them.

I suppose when im playing I forget its a gibby and if im wearing a belt or keys are scratching...i dont really care.

That's why I like mine, it's also why I liked my VM.

• Members

That and I totally think it looks BRUTAL!
:evil:

I like mine a lot more in person than in the pictures. Picks make the trussrod cavity look bright yellow when in fact it's quite dark and the wood knobs look much better in person than pic (I thought I'd have to replace them ASAP). So, anyway, my advice to anyone who hasn't is to hold off judgement until you see one in person.

• Members

I'm sure it was. I never played Quake, but I remember the BFG from Doom (or Doom II).

Eh, Book of Lies was close enough-they're both from the same company/dev team, and are fairly similar games.

• Members

Eh, Book of Lies was close enough-they're both from the same company/dev team, and are fairly similar games.

Except Doom was done using bitmaps and sprites...Quake was all polygons.

And Doom has shitloads of stuff to shoot, but Quake is a bit more sedate on the baddies to blow away front.

Doesn't change the fact that the BFG first appreared in Doom. Doom and quake are as alike as a Tele and a Strat, both from the same company and FAIRLY similar,

:poke:

:thu:

• Members

Except Doom was done using bitmaps and sprites...Quake was all polygons.

And Doom has shitloads of stuff to shoot, but Quake is a bit more sedate on the baddies to blow away front.

Doesn't change the fact that the BFG first appreared in Doom. Doom and quake are as alike as a Tele and a Strat, both from the same company and FAIRLY similar,

:poke:

:thu:

Also Doom (and Doom II) was a much better game. Besides Quake didn't have a BFG if I remember correctly. It's "super weapon" was that lightning thingy.

Archived