mustaine - playing that AND singing?

thebrownkey

• Members

i wondered which forum to start this thread, and i think im in the right place.

it has to do with playing, just playing and singing.

i know there are those gifted at playing and singing naturally, and then there are those like myself who really had to practice to get it down. simple strumming chords and singing is no problem, but i like trying to keep an interesting riff going while singing.

the more i practice the easier it gets (like with anything), but does anyone else think dave is highly underappreciated for his gift of playing those riffs that are complex enough to begin with, and then singing in his unique style over them.

ive never seen them live, i wonder how he does in that area.

anyway, i guess this is an appreciation thread for those who can really groove on the ax and sing at the same time, where one does not interfere with the other. i remember reading that it still bums dave out about getting booted from metallica (remember some kind of monster) - and im not sure he knows just how much he has done for metal.

ive met lots of folks like myself that after learning most metallica tunes wanted something in that style but more complex - and bam! there megadeth, its like graduationg to another higher class of musicianship. now im not gonna say megadeth has had the hits or the poular vote, but they sure have done some great things with metal and it would not be here had he still been in metallica (maybe in some form, but i think the split pushed him harder)

anyhow - i was curious how many of you can (or care to) sing while playing, and is it strumming or really riffing it up?

• Members

i wondered which forum to start this thread, and i think im in the right place.

it has to do with playing, just playing and singing.

i know there are those gifted at playing and singing naturally, and then there are those like myself who really had to practice to get it down. simple strumming chords and singing is no problem, but i like trying to keep an interesting riff going while singing.

the more i practice the easier it gets (like with anything), but does anyone else think dave is highly underappreciated for his gift of playing those riffs that are complex enough to begin with, and then singing in his unique style over them.

ive never seen them live, i wonder how he does in that area.

anyway, i guess this is an appreciation thread for those who can really groove on the ax and sing at the same time, where one does not interfere with the other. i remember reading that it still bums dave out about getting booted from metallica (remember some kind of monster) - and im not sure he knows just how much he has done for metal.

ive met lots of folks like myself that after learning most metallica tunes wanted something in that style but more complex - and bam! there megadeth, its like graduationg to another higher class of musicianship. now im not gonna say megadeth has had the hits or the poular vote, but they sure have done some great things with metal and it would not be here had he still been in metallica (maybe in some form, but i think the split pushed him harder)

anyhow - i was curious how many of you can (or care to) sing while playing, and is it strumming or really riffing it up?

I love singing and playing, it gets easier as you go, eventually you'll be able to do hard stuff. I can do holy wars pretty smoothly.. my friend can do ANY megadeth song, five magics, rust in peace, whatever. he's been playingsinging for like 9 years though.

And about the megadeth vs metallica thing. .I love both. I see megadeth as the more "revolutionary" band and metallica as the more "generational" band.

(Speaking from the early 90's) Metallica had a hard forged sound that people craved and wanted more of. They managed to write songs that were ROCK solid and knew just what notes people wanted to hear.

Megadeth, IMO, was more unique , less refined, determined to always innovate. continued being original into the mid 90's.. Think about it. When Holy Wars hit.. what other song was like that.. it was totally a new and unique, epic metal masterpeice. Today there are still no songs that are quite like it. SO inventive. just something to think about.

another thing to think about, imagine if dimebag darrell had joined megadeth when asked.

the stuff dave and dime would've created together.. well, just imagining what it would've sounded like is inspiring for me.

• Members

Megadeth, IMO, was more unique , less refined, determined to always innovate. continued being original into the mid 90's.. Think about it. When Holy Wars hit.. what other song was like that.. it was totally a new and unique, epic metal masterpeice. Today there are still no songs that are quite like it. SO inventive. just something to think about.

another thing to think about, imagine if dimebag darrell had joined megadeth when asked.

the stuff dave and dime would've created together.. well, just imagining what it would've sounded like is inspiring for me.

Agreed with most of what you said there, except for that bit about Dimebag. Marty Friedman was a lot more musical, if you ask me, whereas Dimebag would've made everything heavier.

I'm a Metallica fan first, but Megadeth is definitely a lot more intricate and complex...to the point where they can lose a lot of the general audience.

Oh, and while I think Dave Mustaine is an incredibly talented musician, I can't stand his pseudo-singing. I know many others can't stand it as well, which is probably the biggest reason why they never achieved crazy fame like Metallica.

• Members

I saw Megadeth in 1985 at the Hartford Agora. Flotsam & Jetsam opened (w/Jason Newstead). I was right up front.

To this day, one of the most amazing things I ever saw was Mustaine singing while playing all those riffs (leads/fills too!!).

Even though I cringe when I hear some of his lyrics, I appreciate what he does. Very, very talented.

• Members

Agreed with most of what you said there, except for that bit about Dimebag. Marty Friedman was a lot more musical, if you ask me, whereas Dimebag would've made everything heavier.

I'm a Metallica fan first, but Megadeth is definitely a lot more intricate and complex...to the point where they can lose a lot of the general audience.

Oh, and while I think Dave Mustaine is an incredibly talented musician, I can't stand his pseudo-singing. I know many others can't stand it as well, which is probably the biggest reason why they never achieved crazy fame like Metallica.

That's true, but marty didn't write any megadeth songs (save for the acoustic bit in trust, that's the only thing that I know of that he wrote)

Dimebag would've wrote some killer riffs and tunes,(if dave would've let him). Get what i'm sayin now? :p and i'm sure, together, they would've created something amazing..

let's face it.. marty is amazing, but he's more of a pop artist.. not really good at writing heavy metal riffs imo

• Members

Mustaine is indeed one talented mother{censored}er, definitely my favorite metal rhythm player. I think for guys like that, the way they play is just natural for them and so they don't have to think about it as much as any of us would if we were learning to sing and play of their riffs. Dave just has that sound in his blood.

• Members

good points

i know theres lots of players in other styles as well that play and sing with no effort, heres to them and to those not born with it but practice till they get it

also- i read where kerry king was asked to join megadeth in its earliest days, he played a few shows and said thanks but no thanks. mustaine was a monster player and could whip out any number of wicked riffs but was "hard to take".

Archived