Best album of 1994? My vote: Oasis - Definitely Maybe

bikehorn

• Members

Yeah so this thread was an excuse for me to say how brilliant I think this album is...but feel free to differ. Every song is kick-ass balls to the wall rock and roll laced with plenty of attitude, and this is one of the first albums to sport the 'super compressed' sound. Unlike albums mixed with that trick today, it actually sounds good to my ears. I am hunting for a vinyl copy that doesn't cost $40.

I applaud them for ripping off other people's riffs and being proud of it. That's what I do. The second album was good too, but too ballady for me to listen to as often as Definitely Maybe...this album is the sound of them kicking people in the face and demanding stardom...which they got. Consider all the other garbage happening that year. Korn's first album :freak:

B000002AS3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Here's them in Tokyo on their first tour doing "Columbia"

uPe9zSggy4Q

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love Noel's tone that he gets, he plays with a dirty tone but you can still make out every note in his chord. It doesn't get lost like it does when most people play distorted chords.

Other great albums of 94-

LIVE- Throwing Copper

Weezer- blue album

AIC- Jar of Flies

STP- Purple

Nirvana- Unplugged in NY

Soundgarden- Superunknown

NIN- The downward spiral

Great year for rock indeed

Honorable mentions:

Helmet- Betty

Pantera- Far beyond driven

Korn- Korn

• Members

Kyuss -- Welcome to Sky Valley was the best of 1994!

This, along with Ween's Chocolate and Cheese and the POTUSA's 1st album and Weezer's 1st album are the best choices from this thread so far, methinks.

I'll also add: Melvins- Stoner Witch

Honorable mention: Flaming Lips' Due to High Expectations the Flaming Lips are Providing Needles for Your Balloons ep.

• Members

I vote for "Stoned & Dethroned" by the Jesus and Mary Chain. Its one of those cd's I can play for someone for the first time and they want to steal it. Just an amazing album.

People always remember "Sometimes Always" when they hear it. Great song but not the best on the album.

[YOUTUBE]bMNZ5-SigyQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I vote for "Stoned & Dethroned" by the Jesus and Mary Chain. Its one of those cd's I can play for someone for the first time and they want to steal it. Just an amazing album.

People always remember "Sometimes Always" when they hear it. Great song but not the best on the album.

I love the J&M Chain, but for the most part they lost me after Darklands.

Two amazing albums that still hold up well, then a few great scattered tracks on otherwise dull albums, IMO...

Archived