Lots of Talent at Live Earth!

steveg

• Members

Ken, what you're saying is true for a lot of people - still, there's a valid criticism to be made. You have to admit that it's incredibly ironic that one would use up that amount of energy in order to promote lessening consumption...

I hope that it does raise some awareness - but I'm also concerned that many people would think that watching a concert & talking about the issue equates to actually doing something about it. :(

I'd be a bit more impressed if there were more done by example in putting on the show. What was done differently, aside from buying "carbon credits"? Did they use higher-efficiency systems at all? Alt-fuel generators? Did they cut back on lighting/production equipment at all? Did they provide something as an alternative to bottled water backstage?

Really, I'd love to know these things. I haven't heard much at all about what they did in the process of doing this show.

[EDIT: Also, it's sad that the message of the event is becoming eclipsed by this debate...this is yet another reason that things could have been done differently.]

• Members

Ken, what you're saying is true for a lot of people - still, there's a valid criticism to be made.

I'm not saying that there's not valid criticism. What I'm pointing out are these extreme positions that people often feel that need to express:

"There could have been a greater example of conserving electricity, so therefore, it sucks."

"I watched ten minutes of it, and it seemed to be a bunch of washed-up has-beens."

"None of this is going to work."

It's just sheer cynicism, and what's more, this is coming from a forum inhabited by musicians.

Can't something have good aspects and bad aspects, or is just way too balanced? Must someone show how much they "know" by completely {censored}ting on anything positive that other people try and do? I can't think of a sadder, more bitter position to take. Life must just suck for some people, no matter what happens.

• Members

I hope that it does raise some awareness - but I'm also concerned that many people would think that watching a concert & talking about the issue equates to actually doing something about it.
:(

If people are that stupid that they think watching Live Earth and talking about it over a few beers is true activism, then they're not going to be smart enough to take part in reducing energy consumption anyway (and should probably be immediately sterilized so they don't piss in the gene pool... :D ). You can't expect every single twit to get the message. But if this inspires even a small percentage of people to become aware of reducing energy consumption or being aware of the issues or have somehow planted a seed, then this is rather positive.

Also, I should point out that it's not like any of the Live Earth organizers thinking this is the cure: "Okay, now...we've reduced global warming. What's next?" They realize it's a process, and anyone else with half a brain is going to realize this as well.

• Members

Yeah, but still I would really have been more impressed had they really made some strides into trying to be a model for cutting consumption in the process. That's a big part of the battle as well - answering the naysayers that claim there is no problem.

If they could point to things like how many performers used alternative travel or rode busses together to the venue; forgoing bottled water backstage (seriously, how many plastic bottles come from your average music festival?); alt-energy usage for power, on-site vehicles, etc; creative use of technology to put on the show itself, using high-efficiency tech or simply cutting back a bit (how big was the light rig, or how many subs did they use in comparison to other shows?)...all of these things could be pointed out as viable answers to the questions of why did they burn (X) to accomplish this? It really would have gone a long way to shut down the criticism, rather than giving their critics ammunition to make them look a bit silly, y'know?

Anyone with half a brain, as you put it, has heard of global warming. What we really need is for people to take the lead in showing that you can change the norm, cut consumption, and still be effective in daily life.

• Members

Who are these people who pay hundreds of dollars to go to a stadium shows? It's guaranteed the music and the sound will suck. Madonna? Phil Collins? Werent we sick of them 15 years go? Kanye West! Hilarious. It was like the drunk guy at the wedding reception jumping on stage and grabbing the mic. Hoo Boy. P.T. Barnum was right.

They were showing taped Jammys on HD at the same time here. Very cool. Great musicians, Great music. Way better.

• Members

Yeah, but still I would really have been more impressed had they really made some strides into trying to be a model for cutting consumption in the process. That's a big part of the battle as well - answering the naysayers that claim
there is no problem.

The other criticism of the whole thing was that people felt it was too "vague".

For sure, they could have done it a lot better, but then, I suppose people might criticize them for being too preachy. But yeah, they could have done it better. But it's part of a process, and hopefully they'll learn from it and get the message across better.

~~

What I would really love is for the U.S. to become a world leader in alternative energy. Instead of battling the world - including India and China - for oil, we need to be the ones that have all the M&Ms. We can be a leader in technology and alternative energy. We can be that nation that leads by example, the nation that has amazing technology that allows us to do this. We could then get off our dependency on oil while simultaneously having the world beat a path to our door for our alternative energy technology. But our government - including Democrats and Republicans - has been very slow at creating monetary incentives that can lead to a blossoming of this technology.

• Members

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. I think it's really short-sighted, even stupid, to continue down the path of kowtowing to traditional energy companies & poo-pooing alternatives as being unworkable. I find the idea that we can't make plenty of money from developing alternative power technologies actually an insult to the abilities of Americans. Yes, there will be an economic adjustment in the changeover - but that will happen whether or not we do it, and it's far better to face it head on & come out ahead of the curve than be caught behind it & THEN have to make changes. [/rant]

• Members

We have the technological prowess. We have the ingenuity. We have the manufacturing capability. And we certainly have the money.

In yet, Third World Countries such as India and Brazil are years ahead of us in implementing "greener" technology. And countries such as Norway are even farther ahead.

• Members

Although sometimes it's easier (or more difficult) to enjoy music that is "out of context". For me, it's easier to enjoy '70s disco, but back when I was a little kid and that stuff was coming out, I thought it was the most awful stuff imaginable.

• Members

I turned to Live Earth several times during the day. Each time I was met with the most godawful performers, most of whom I couldn't identify. Consequently I left it off.

I hate to point this out, Ken, but my impression of the entire event was that it was about cheering on Al Gore more than truly raising awareness of global warming. I, for one, don't really take to self-important celebrities telling me how I'm the solution when I know how most of them live on the road, and don't dare think to hard about how they live at home. The ones who best represent conservation and the fight against global warming are already visible to the public as such. The few I saw sounded like they were reciting scripts they neither cared about nor believed. It seemed to me they're thoughts might have been, "now's the part where I mention global warming.. the crowd cheers louder.. now we start the next song. :rolleyes:

My favorite was actually a pre-concert, entertainment news show that mentioned some celebrity's effort for conservation; "She even brushes her teeth in the shower." was the comment. I don't think it takes a genius to realize that uses far more water than brushing at the sink. And if you really want to conserve water while brushing, wet the brush and turn off the faucet. Brush your teeth, then turn on the faucet to wash away your spit.

If a celebrity uses their fame for a cause I'll only listen to them as an authority if they've given me a reason to believe they have a clue what they're talking about.

The band of scientists in Antartica was a nice touch, though. :D (And they were pretty good, too.)

• Members

I hate to point this out,
Ken
, but my impression of the entire event was that it was about cheering on Al Gore more than truly raising awareness of global warming. I, for one, don't really take to self-important celebrities telling me how
I'm
the solution when I know how most of them live on the road, and don't dare think to hard about how they live at home.

I only saw maybe half an hour of Live Earth, not enough to get a genuine impression. But I can easily imagine the event taking on what you describe. That seems to have been a major criticism of the show anyway (that some of the celebrities didn't lead by example, etc. etc.).

~~

I'm not sure what to make of Al Gore. He really bugged me before when he was running...he had this sort of attitude like he was talking down to people. Now, since then, but before the Live Earth thing, I've found him more engaging, seemingly more of a "real" accessible person. So...I don't know whether this is simply clever "spin" or what, but he doesn't come off as an arrogant professor lecturing his class on how little they don't know.

• Members

So what were some of the other acts at Live Earth that caught people's ear? I mentioned Paolo. I liked The Police, of course. But I didn't see too much else. I saw what was maybe about 20 seconds of Yellow Magic Orchestra.

I went to the NJ show and it was actully pretty great...John Mayer did a great job, Alicia Keys and Keith Urban did Gimme Shelter (early in the day b4 many people were done tailgating) and of all people, * can't believe I'm saying this * the two acts that got the best crowd reaction were Kelly Clarkson and Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi I get cuz hes in his backyard, but KC came off great - fine vox and she clearly connected with the crowd by admitting that she does nothing "green" today but that the event made her think.

Thats what the show was about. I'm cool with the vaild argument that the shows were monstrous examples of consumption, however, standing on street corners yelling at Humvee drivers doesn't work.

My kids watched it on tv and when we got home, my 11 year old flat out informed me that we needed to do something - and he spent his allowance on CFC lightbulbs for his room and three recycling bins.

Now, I am fully aware that he will be sitting in front of his Wii game system tonight when I walk in - but he experienced something that made him think and be hopeful about his planet. Thats cool.:cool:

(IMHO)

• Members

I only saw maybe half an hour of Live Earth, not enough to get a genuine impression. But I can easily imagine the event taking on what you describe. That seems to have been a major criticism of the show anyway (that some of the celebrities didn't lead by example, etc. etc.).

~~

I'm not sure what to make of Al Gore. He really bugged me before when he was running...he had this sort of attitude like he was talking down to people. Now, since then, but before the Live Earth thing, I've found him more engaging, seemingly more of a "real" accessible person. So...I don't know whether this is simply clever "spin" or what, but he doesn't come off as an arrogant professor lecturing his class on how little they don't know.

Well, I share your impressions of Gore since the last election ended, or more specifically, since he re-emerged after spending some time teaching, largely out of the spotlight. I think this must be when he was filming An Inconvenient Truth.

But there's been talk about that more likable Gore possibly further complicating the democratic nomination by running again and Live Earth accomplished a huge landmark for gauging whether he has the stuff to garner people's attention long enough to get elected. Could be interesting, what with Fred Thompson all but being named the Republican candidate even though he hasn't officially thrown his name in the ring. ;)

• Members

Let me say that I do think we can and will develop better ways to use the Earth's resources and my family does what we can to be good stewards of The Earth.

Regarding Live Earth - the only act I happened to catch was Roger Waters. I think the ridiculousness of the whole event was encapsulated in the African-American children on stage singing "We don't need no education ..." to thousands of educated white people affluent enough to afford to support the concert yet still dumb enough to listen to the likes of Al Gore.

For me, that said it all.

If you enjoyed it and you feel it made a difference, Great! It's a big world with room for us all.

• Members

Anyone catch Madonna doing La Isla Bonita with Gogol Bordello? I thought that was great. If you've never listened to Gogol I highly recommend them. One of the best bands I've ever seen and Hutz, the singer, just loves music. On more than one occasion I was at his old dj'ing gig at the Bulgarian Bar in NYC dancing with him at 5:00am after everyone went home. He'd just keep putting on records and keep dancing. Sometimes in the middle of his dj sets he'd break out his guitar and have a spontaneous performance with no stage or nothing, just his charisma and joy and the whole place would go nuts. It was great seeing them get a chance to rock Wembley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOnw2EXAaQ

Archived