OT: Keep your freakin' dog in your yard!

• Members

This is more of a rant than anything else. It was beautiful weather today, and I was taking a stroll to the convenience store. As I walked I noticed a house in my neighborhood with two people doing yard work outside, and a dog running around (this is an unfenced yard). I can't identify the dog, other than it looked like a black Rottweiler, maybe a mix of some sort. It wasn't too big, probably knee-tall, but big jaws. It was wagging it's tail, so that's a good sign, I guess, but as soon as I walk past their yard, the f***** comes charging at me.

Now, I know that running away from a dog is the worst thing you can do, but that was my instinct, and that's what I did. The two people (a middle aged woman and an approx. 16-17 yo kid) stood there, until the kid yells something like 'don't run'. Well, tell that to your dog! So the kid finally starts running after the dog and wrestles him down. I'm out of breath by that time, and comtemplate going back there to tell him a piece of my mind, but then decide not to go anywhere near that dog now.

My concern is that this could happen walking my 7yo to his school bus stop (though it hasn't happened yet, in fact I've never seen that dog before).

And I'm sick of hearing dog owners say things like "It probably was just excited and wanted to play". Well, I don't give a #^*@. If your yard is not fenced in and you have a dog, keep him on a f&%$^*# leash so he won't come running after people.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against dogs, (though I prefer cats), and I understand that they mean a lot to some people, and are a very good safety measure to protect your house. Just keep him AWAY from pedestrians.:idea:

Sheesh, good thing I'm not a mail man.:o

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the truth, check to se if there are leash laws where you live, and hopefully you can get those folks fined. I have started to carry mace with me when I go jogging because so many of the white trash people around here just let their attack dogs run free. It's sad that many dogs have to pay a price for their owners negligence, as I have seen quite a few get hit by cars in town.

• Members

I have started to carry mace with me when I go jogging because so many of the white trash people around here just let their attack dogs run free.

I was thinking about that, but I shouldn't HAVE to carry mace when taking a 5 minute stroll to the store. It was a one time occurence, so I'm not too worried about it yet.

What kind of effect has mace on a dog? I'm thinking it might even aggravate him more.

Oh, and yes I don't blame the dog, but their owners, I think my post came across a little anti-dog, which I'm not, altough I can't say I like them much.

• Members

I used to be a paperboy when I was young. I had a person on my route who had this crazy 60 lb poodle that would launch at the door when I put the paper in box, the dog bouncing off the glass going nutts. I ask them over and over to keep him back...One day, the dog knocks the door open. I take off running (12 years old btw)....after about 50 feet I think, screw this, and drop kicked the dog in the head. He never came to the door again when I delivered..I'd never hurt an animal intentionally, but there are lines that are crossed, and the dog loses.

Some people who are too stupid to restrain their pets end up injuring people,or patching up their pets..I love dogs, but, some people are dumber than the dog. Unless you think the dog can over power you, I'd turn and gut the damn thing. It is a shame, but when I think of my kids having to run from a dog in my area, I think dog=0, kid=1 (via dad). Once it leaves there property unleashed, I am pretty sure in most places they are fair game.

• Members

The mace I have says it works on bears so I imagine dogs would be affected by it as well. I am not out to hurt dogs mind you, I have many myself, but when I am tired from a good run I would not be able to put up much fight without a weapon.

• Members

Unless you think the dog can over power you, I'd turn and gut the damn thing.

Well, he wasn't too tall (his body approx. to my knees), but his jaws were nothing I was gonna mess with. I'd sooner kick the owner than this dog, unless I absolutely had to protect my life or health.

BTW, that whole thing happened on the other side of the street from where the yard is. It came charging across the street towards me.

• Members

I agree completely. I was bit in the stomach by a free roaming dog about, oh, 12 years ago. Still have the scar to prove it. Didn't provoke the animal, didn't even step on the owner's property. I was on a typical stroll as well down to a friend's house.

I have nothing against dogs either and I'd still say that most are friendly. But there are always those bad apples...

• Members

quit being a {censored}, they smell fear. and no, dont run... its absolutely the worst thing you can do because their instinct takes over at that point and you become the prey.

i let my dog out in the front all the time [unfenced]. she will bark at some people but has never bitten anyone. course, you try to kick me and i will defend myself more than my dog will and then let my dog have the leftovers, although in reality, you wouldnt make it to me before you had to deal with her. she is about 96lbs. however, she does obey my commands so she will bark to the end of my yard but doesnt go out in the street in attack mode, she just has a scary bark. we have kids [my kids jump all over her] and kids come over and she greets them with the same vicious bark but they just get down to her level [which isnt very far] and start petting her. we also have some less than desirable people walking up my street and i encourage her protective behaviour.

you basically commited the worst behaviour in the worst circumstance.

then again, i have taken down dogs many times and show no fear. i cant even count how many dog fights i have jumped in and broken up, not the one i own now... she runs at people walking their dogs to go play with them, but the last dogs i had would rip apart other dogs, but never barked at people unless absolutely necessary.

• Members

Unfenced dogs belong on the leash.

I used to deliver mail and I can tell you some frightening dog attack stories. Fortunately, I was only bitten once...and that was by a dog whose owner said, "Don't worry. He won't bite." Seems that's their favorite line...just before they bite you. Mace saved me from what would have been a real bad deal from a nasty Bulldog another time. I was hitting the beast directly in the face with it for 12 feet before he finally veered off two feet from me. You also would have loved the German Shepherd who would chase my jeep down the street and try to jump in the open door at 25 MPH to get me. Everyone should experience that joy...I could go on...

When I was a kid, this dog terrorized my brother and I every day for a week when we walked to school in the snow. We had to carry a broken, jagged pointed shovel with us just to get safely down our block or back home from school.

And just like in the cartoons, we actually saw the dog catcher and truck come and capture that beast, actually netting him with a large net and loading him into the sealed back of the truck.

Keep your dogs on the leash, in a fenced yard, or leave them in the house.

They have no right to terrorize anybody.

• Members

Meh when it comes to the interviews with owners of dogs who've attacked someone don't they usually spout some story about how they have kids and how the dog is lovely and always follows commands?

An adult can turn around and defend themselves but a child can't. At the end of the day no matter how lovely and cute you think your dog is it has the potential to seriously harm people and you have no right to allow that to happen.

I don't think it's a horrible atrocity to restrain your dog to some degree if it's out in public. If it's a vicous attack dog trained to defend your property then surely leashing it in an area where it would stop any intruders but without letting it run around the pavement would work fine.

And I have a general question for dog owners who train them to protect the house. How does the dog differenciate between visitors and people trying to break in?

• Members

A dog has the general intellect of a 3 year old. They respond to love, care and affection like most 3 year olds.

it's a vicious attack dog trained to defend your property

would you ask a 3 year old to defend your property , i.e would you expect them to reason their defence?

You can train a 3 year old to attack anyone who comes near them, usually at the deference to their own natural ability to communicate with anyone else. You can train a 3 year old to attack on command.

Dogs aren't successful in our society because of these traits. They are successful because they offer a unique brand of shared friendship and they love being part of your team because they are pack animals.

If we all understood this we would have no problem with dogs as history has proven.

• Members

A dog has the general intellect of a 3 year old. They respond to love, care and affection like most 3 year olds.

would you ask a 3 year old to defend your property , i.e would you expect them to reason their defence?

You can train a 3 year old to attack anyone who comes near them, usually at the deference to their own natural ability to communicate with anyone else. You can train a 3 year old to attack on command.

Dogs aren't successful in our society because of these traits. They are successful because they offer a unique brand of friendship.

If we all understood this we would have no problem with dogs as history has proven.

You've lost me a little here I'm afraid.

You quoted me but I think you've misconstrued my point somewhat :confused:

I'm not advocating people using dogs to defend their property, or training dogs to attack people. I was just stating that if someone did feel the need to train their dog that way, surely it could still defend the property whilst being leashed so it can't run free on the streets putting people in danger.

• Members

As a guy who doesn't own a dog, my thinking is this... Call the cops, find out what the local laws are, and if you see the dog again not on a leash, and the law requires all dogs outside to be on a leash, call the cops on them, make sure that they get fined...

If somebody wants to have a pet, that's all fine and well, but when that pet starts harrassing people, (and harrasment could be barking, trying to be "frendly, and jumping up on you, ruining your clothes in the process) it's time to discipline the owners, so they'll take responsibility of the animal... Basically, all dogs outside belong on a leash, because you never know what the animal is going to do, people can't control it...

• Moderators

you basically commited the worst behaviour in the worst circumstance.

No alpha, that would be you by keeping your dog out front like that. I have the sweetest Pit mix. She has never attacked. She's licked a lot though. I would never have her unleashed in my front yard. That is selfish behaviour.

I had a lovely Doberman. A {censored} cat. She turned one day. Just lost it and thank God didn't hurt anyone. Out of nowhere. Dogs can very easily misinterpret someone walking by their property as a threat.

LEASH YOUR DOG.

• Members

i think the pedestrians need to be on leashes.

quickest way to make a dog aggressive is to leash them... and dont think for a minute that it will stay leashed if they want at you.

however, TRAINING a dog to attack [especially without PROPER training for it] is the worst thing you can do to a dog, which some people unfortunately try to do and then you see it in the news and the dog gets the bad name.

most times where dogs behaviour becomes dengerously aggressive over time in the family pack, it is the family. however, with normal dogs in their territory, its fearful people who cause their own demise.

and anyone who would decide to kick me because my dog barks at them wont be walking again to be harassed by a dog along the street. i hate these stupid people who think they have some god given right to exist over a dog or any other animal. i think you need to take classes with how to deal with dogs, even the largest can be taken down w/o mace hand to hand.

and if anyone calls the cops on me, be assured i will figure it out and track you down. i have cops drive by my house all the time with my dog unleashed in the front, none have ever said ANYTHING... and she has even barked at them.

although i do have a funny ass mailman story... one of my old dogs used to run loose in the neighborhood [fences didnt stop her, she would clear a 4' fence like a deer] and she used to go love to play with the kids. so when she ran off i had to go track her down in the car. this one time i had found her and as soon as she saw me driving up she knew she had better get her ass home... so i was flying behind her in the car as she was barrelling full steam towards the house just as the mailman was delivering the mail. it looked like she was in full attack mode b-lining right at him because i was on her tail in the car. the mailman lost his load, probably dropped a load in his pants even though she couldnt give a {censored} about him, i dont even think she noticed him. oh i about wet myself with laughter at his reaction. she ended up jumping back over the fence into our yard and i was laughing in the driveway uncontrollably at the mailman as he scampered off in embarrassment with his tail between his legs.

• Members

LEASH YOUR DOG.

no. plain and simple. but i do leash her when i walk her, but thats for my control while walking her around. i have taken the time to train her, she doesnt need a leash while in her territory.

leashing your dog is the selfish behaviour.

• Members

dude, dont be a dick. my dog will run after anyone that runs, but would never bite anyone no matter how provoked he was. it's just not in his system.

running is fun to him. he sees someone running and he wants to run with them, simple as that. he barks at strangers, but he's so unreasonably scared of them that he'd never dare get close enough to do anything.

if a dog starts after you, just give him a look of "{censored} off"... and well, he will.

• Members

and if anyone calls the cops on me, be assured i will figure it out and track you down.

I'm not going to call the cops, it was a one time occurence. I'll talk to these people when I see them next. But if this would have happened to my son or any other child, you can be damn sure I would have called the cops, track me down all you want, so what? Are they gonna come to my house and threaten me with their dog? :rolleyes:

• Members

I had a paper route when I was 14. One part of the paper route was terrifying because there was this big dog that was constantly loose. It would run after me while I was on my bike, snarling and frothing at the mouth. The dog looked like it wanted to attack and bite. I finally had enough of this, and took a Sunday paper, and hit its nose as hard as possible. It ran off. After several weeks of it chasing me, I never saw it again.

• Members

Dogs aren't successful in our society because of these traits. They are successful because they offer a unique brand of shared friendship and they love being part of your team because they are pack animals.

John.........

Thanks for your great post in favor of dogs that are well cared for.

My Border Collie read your post and told me that you seem to be a good guy, he thinks....

Bruce Swedien

• Members

I finally had enough of this, and took a Sunday paper, and hit its nose as hard as possible. It ran off. After several weeks of it chasing me, I never saw it again.

one of the best places to hit a dog if being attacked.

first rule is dont run or act an ANY submissive manner, it is a matter of packing with dogs.

second, if one does bite you, do NOT pull away. that does more harm to you than anything else. despite typical reaction of pulling away, move towards the dog in an aggressive manner.

then go for the nose, punch it as hard as you can... it can literally kill the dog. if you dont want to do that, its best to wrestle the dog by flipping it over. i have taken out 160lbs mastiffs and german sherpards this way before [and i was only 145 at the time] then go for the throat [or nose]

like i said, its people who need to be trained. despite this illusion of "civilization" we still are animals living in the wild.

Archived