Homeward Bound [adventures in France]

voneville

• Members

Been a while since I've logged in. We're on our way back to the States after a long deployment. Got to stop off in Marseilles, France and had a few days to check it out. Marseilles is one of the coolest cities I've been to in the world, and I've been to a lot of them. Of course finding on accident and then being able to check out Jacques 1001 Guitars store was really great. Talk about major Gas pains. Jacques was a really nice guy and his collection was pretty amazing. If I had more money I would have spent it all there. I'll post pics from his shop when I get back in a few weeks. Still got to cross the pond. The good thing about being gone so long and only having one guitar is that I am excited about going home to the rest of my guitars. I haven't really been jonesing for a new one. In fact, I think I'm over that. My new rule is if I want a new guitar I have to build it.

Auvoir (hope I spelled that right).

• Members

France is cool. Did you...

1) See the topless beaches?

2) Use one of those public urinals that don't conceal the user from passers by?

3) Get mildly abused by an ill-mannered waiter?

4) Use one of those toilets that require you to crap standing up? (Seriously)

5) Get drunk on the 70 cent bottles of rotgut wine from the hyper markets?

That is all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

France is cool. Did you...

1) See the topless beaches?

2) Use one of those public urinals that don't conceal the user from passers by?

3) Get mildly abused by an ill-mannered waiter?

4) Use one of those toilets that require you to crap standing up? (Seriously)

5) Get drunk on the 70 cent bottles of rotgut wine from the hyper markets?

That is all.

Thanks JJ, I have some songs to upload you might dig when I bring my computer home.

Our dollar is seriously hurting, but I think it will come back. I wouldn't call our money worthless yet. One thing I noticed was that the average person in Europe didn't seem to be all that well off either. Especially in Naples. A gallon of gas is still much cheaper here, and we as a country use a lot of gas so our demand is pretty high. Commodities are still relatively affordable here even if they're more then we're used to paying. I can go to McDonalds and eat a meal for less then 5 bucks. That's not possible (at McDonalds) in Marseilles.

1, no didn't get to the beach sadly.

2, no, where the heck were those at? But some of the portajohns only have a hole in the floor.

3, i ate from street vendors and the smashed sandwich shops the whole time on the cheap and those guys were all pretty nice.

4, see 2.

5, I did get drunk on beer fermented in the bottle with insanely high alcohol content (for beer).

I would love to go back and see and do more. I was on a tight budget because I was sending all of my money home to my wife and kids.

• Members

there was a story a while ago I printed out and took to class about how Japanese return home from Paris with " Paris syndrome"...how totally shocked they are to find French people in that city to be...how should I put this...not quite what they expected.

I`m from Montreal...we get a lot of French visitors so I`m more accustomed to them...they see us as their little bumpkin cousins... but the story was really funny to me. I was supposed to go to Marseille when I was 18 on an exchange trip with the company my father worked for but didn`t want to leave my girlfriend...idiot...we broke up soon after and I blew the chance. What can I say...I was thinking with my little head and not my big one.

au revoir.

Archived