Poll - What string gauge on your strat?

Jkater

• Members

I just ordered my very first strat, an american standard in olympic white. I just did a search to see what folks put on strats as far as string gauge and, of course, all answers are showing up. I'm starting to have problem with my wrist and I experience some pain in my fretting hand. But I don't want it to sound like {censored}e, either. Or go out of tune at every bend. So what do you, strat players, use on it?

• Members

I like 10s (D'Addario) on my G&L. I've never broken a string on that guitar and tuning stability is great.

I know people like to go with thicker strings for a thicker tone but I've found that using a thicker pick makes a big difference too. I recently essentially doubled my pick thickness from.88 to 1.5 and I've found it really reduces "plinkyness" in the sound and adds some warmth. Just food for thought.

• Members

10 - 46. I had to have the thing set up again though, as it pulled the bridge right up and pinged one of the intonation screws, completely destroying the thread. Sounds better than 9s though. Much more difficult to bend, but I'll get used to it.

• Members
10-52.

Hi csm!

I very nearly ordered a classic player 50 based on your recommendation for a mid-priced strat a while back. But the wife said I was gonna turn fifty only once and encouraged me to treat myself this time... I always fancied a white strat and I went for the american standard in oly white. Once the bank clears the payment , it should be shipped soon afterwards, probably next week.

:)

• Members

I just ordered my very first strat, an american standard in olympic white. I just did a search to see what folks put on strats as far as string gauge and, of course, all answers are showing up. I'm starting to have problem with my wrist and I experience some pain in my fretting hand. But I don't want it to sound like {censored}e, either. Or go out of tune at every bend. So what do you, strat players, use on it?

You tuning to standard?

• Members

Regular 10's although at times I'm tempted to go for a hybrid set with thicker strings for the E-A-D.

Haven't looked back since, many years ago, I discovered the Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom set: 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52.

Or as we used to call them in the days before implants: the 'American girl' set.

• Members

Ernie Ball custom strings, gauges 10, 13, 15, 26, 32, 38 (they give me that Hendrix vibe). I get them from Amazon.com, those are some cool funky gauges and very vibey.

I mostly play the the bridge pickup on my guitars, and on my Squier I have a red Lace Sensor. With lighter strings the top sounds too trebly, the 10 and 13 on the top fattens the tone up a bit there. I also prefer the 15, 32, and 38 gauges to a regular set of tens, I really like the feel of them.

I prefer EBs to Fender strings, also. I have the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine and in it, he does an interview with Albert Collins. Collins used those gauges by Fender (called 150TRs), but Dan measured them with a pair of dial calipers and Albert's strings measured @ 9, 11, 13, 25, 31, 37. So I don't think Fender strings are very accurate when it comes to the gauges they say are in a set.

I prefer EBs anyway, they're very flexible and have a good feel to them. Fenders are very stiff and don't have a great tone, imho.

On my 2 Fullertons (which I consider Strat-style), I'm using the Carlos Santana Big Core strings, extra light (gauges 9 1/2, 11 1/2, 16, 25, 33, 43). They have a lot of bark, and a great tone. And according to a review of them in the May, '08 GP, that great tone is supposed to last a long time, without any special care whatsoever given to the strings.

• Members
Haven't looked back since, many years ago, I discovered the Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom set: 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52.

Or as we used to call them in the days before implants: the 'American girl' set.

:lol::lol: Presumably, in these days of Pamela Anderson and Jordan etc, it would be 12 - 42s?

On the subject of Fender strings - are really think they are crap. I don't know why Fender do their guitars such a disservice by putting those terrible strings on their guitars at the factory.

• Members

I use 10-46 on two of them and 11-49 on the third one.

used to play with 12s and 13 on that last one, but I've gone down i size in recent years, and I've aquired the first ones in the last 18 months

• Members

As I search threads about this topic and read many, I came across the surprising comment by a few that the Hybrid gauge (light top heavy bottom) strings can "twist" your neck over time. Frankly, I doubt it but what do I know? Has anyone esperienced such a thing?

• Members
Those of you who have experimented with both 9's and 10's, what could you tell me about the pros and cons of both gauge? Thanks a bunch!

I thought 9s were a little too slinky and I like that 10s fight back a little more. Tone is a bit fully and less plinky too. But it's all personal preference.

Try a few different gauges out - it's what, 15 minutes to change strings and maybe a few small tweaks required. It's not like you can't go back :idk:

Archived