Gibson CEO on today's "creative generation"

• Members

http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/story/0,,2140894,00.html

A short but an interesting take on the music industry today and for the past three decades, including why Gibson sponsor Polo matches! You know, that horsey thing for posh and rich people.

A thorough contrast to aged small minded luddites like Sir Elton John who would like to, "see the internet shut down for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span. I'm sure, as far as music goes, it would be much more interesting than it is today."

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=8440

• Members

Just ask those who used to be known as Opcode about Henry and his "good will".

Why do you think he sings the praises of Apple's Garage Band - the Opcode crew migrated to Cupertino after he pulled the plug on them. :lol:

It's kind of funny how he criticizes the previous owners as being out of touch with the product, but then turns around to take pride in his brand management and pricing strategy, which has nothing to do with music either.

• Members

"Gibson is neck-and-neck with Fender. It has had some pretty strong endorsements: Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, BB King, Jimi Hendrix."

What does it say when a few of your strong endorsers are dead?

• Members

"Gibson is neck-and-neck with Fender. It has had some pretty strong endorsements: Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, BB King, Jimi Hendrix."

What does it say when a few of your strong endorsers are dead?

When someone says Hendrix, Gibson is the first thing to pop into my head. :freak:

• Members

When someone says Hendrix, Gibson is the first thing to pop into my head.
:freak:

Right you are...

For Juszkiewicz and Gibson to brag about Hendrix as an endorser (I think I MIGHT have seen a pic of Jimi w/ a Gibson once -- probably shot for the ensorsement signing) shows just how in touch he is.... Even if Jimi did ink such a deal (and I'm just going on faith that such a deal existed) -- I would not be bragging about an endorser who, despite the (apparent) endorsement, almost never picked up one of my guitars and was so heavily associated with the flagship guitar of my biggest rival.

What a fool.

I liked this bit, though:

A bit like a Harley Davidson? "It is very much like the Harley Davidson." So you are a mid-life crisis brand? "Hum," he considers. "It can be," stretching the vowel in "can". "But we are not really pushing the mid-life crisis agenda.

Still... at least Gibson is not now a cheap nameplate slapped on crappy (and probably poisonous) guitars from China (though, of course, their ancillary brands no doubt cover that dodgey territory pretty thoroughly, I'm thinkin').

• Members
I think I MIGHT have seen a pic of Jimi w/ a Gibson once -- probably shot for the ensorsement signing

Actually, he did use a Flying-V on rare occasion. I think he used one at the Isle of Wight festival for a couple of numbers just before he passed on.

• Members

Actually, he did use a Flying-V on rare occasion. I think he used one at the Isle of Wight festival for a couple of numbers just before he passed on.

He also used one of the SG Customs I think it's called, the one with 3 pickups.I've got some vids of him using it;it might be the Copenhagen concert which you can find on YouTube.

Archived