Epiphone G-400

SpectorDave

• Members

Within the Epiphine G-400 empire, does anyone know if there are any realt differences between the "1966 Reissue G-400" and the standard G-400? MF has the 1966 Reissue in black for $299...which is $50 cheaper than the regular G-400....

thanks...

I dont know what the differences between a regular G-400 and the '66 are other than the full pickguard. I bought a '66RI last year for $230 new and its my favorite humbucker guitar. It sounds great stock.

• Members
Question please:do Epiphones suffer from breaking headstock syndrome like with the Gibsons?

:confused:

Ed

Btw,some great looking G-400 on here.

Yes, they do.

I ordered my '66 RI G400 online and the first arrived with a broken headstock

• Members

Question please:do Epiphones suffer from breaking headstock syndrome like with the Gibsons?

Yep, the faded brown one in my earlier post was a repair job. The standard neck/headstock break. It was a very good repair job that was done when the previous owner still had it. I normally would have run screaming from a repaired guitar but it was a good deal and the fix seemed well done. 7 months and no issues so I am happy

• Members

A Gibson pickguard won't fit. The countours and pickup spacing are different.

I made a full pickguard for an Epi G400 Custom I had. I wanted to ditch the middle pickup so I made the large pickguard for it.

I'll try to remember to post some pics of it when I get home from work.

Here it is:

This was a normal G400 3 pup Custom.

I got the blank pickguard material from StewMac.

DSCN0995.jpg

g400c.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

• Members

I purchased a G-400 on layaway at a local music store for $289.99. I'm still paying it off, and had to order the case for it. I can't wait to get my hands on my newest acquistion though when it's fully paid off! It'll be my main workhorse guitar. It's looks really nice, and plays and sounds great as well!

• Members

I had a gold one and sold it. Nice git.
I bought a triple pup black one but MF sent a really used one the first time, and a broken headstock one the second time.
I bought a flamey one, but the one they sent looked like rats had gnawed on the fingerboard, and the top was meh.
And I just bought a blue one.

So I have none at the moment, but will have a blue one soon.

I like em! I like the stock alnico pups too.

EPIDAM3.jpg

• Members

I went to GC a few weeks ago and saw a few sitting around. I picked it up and to be quite honest I was a little pissed off. It felt and handled a hell of a lot like the Gibson I had just bought a few months ago. Most times you can tell the difference between import and MIA versions, but the gap is pretty damn narrow on the SG's. Comparing the sound would have been a waste of time since I got the Classic with P-90's, but if I was looking for a dual HB SG I wouldn't overlook an Epi. Other than the nitro vs poly finish and pickups there isn't much to really seperate them.

• Members

I went to GC a few weeks ago and saw a few sitting around. I picked it up and to be quite honest I was a little pissed off. It felt and handled a hell of a lot like the Gibson I had just bought a few months ago. Most times you can tell the difference between import and MIA versions, but the gap is pretty damn narrow on the SG's. Comparing the sound would have been a waste of time since I got the Classic with P-90's, but if I was looking for a dual HB SG I wouldn't overlook an Epi. Other than the nitro vs poly finish and pickups there isn't much to really seperate them.

Agreed. The G400 is one of the best guitars Epi makes.

When I bought the G400 Custom I posted pics of earlier, I played a bunch of Gibson faded SG's, a couple Specials, and a few Standards. The G400 was not very different at all in tone, playability, or QC. I liked it better than the fadeds, it was easily on par with the Specials, and while the Standard was a touch better, it wasn't worth the price difference to me at all.

A year ago I picked up a G400 in black with a Maestro vibrato on a blowout from M123 for $299. I would rank that guitar dead even with the Gibby Standard. Seriously. It was that good.

• Members

The G-400 is a seriously good guitar. For the price, it's almost a no-brainer unless you're not a fan of the SG shape.

I wasnt a fan of the shape..But I bought one cuz the tone is alil dif from my Pauls and my Explorer. It still isnt my fav visually, but dang the thing sounds amazing and plays great!!

Archived