Epiphone G-400

SpectorDave

• Members

Im looking into buying an Epiphone G-400. I currently own an Epiphone Dot and Epiphone Black Beauty both of which i love to play and they sound great therefore im wanting to add an SG model to my collection. The G-400 is considerably cheaper than the Dot and Black Beauty, anyone know what the quality and sound is like in comparison to the Epiphone Dot's and LP's?

Lets see your G-400's!

• Members

I don't have one now, but I've had two in the past - an older MIK one and a newer MIC one. Both were great guitars as far as the neck, finish work, hardware, etc. The pickups on the MIC one were better than the ones on the MIK one, which were a bit muddy. In general, I find the G400 to consistently be one of the best Epiphone models out there.

• Members

I have a Gibson Explorer, Les paul and a great Epi Les Paul. Ive never really cared for the look of SGs or thought I needed one, but I played one and thought it could add something.. I shopped around and all the Gibby fadeds seemed poorly made at much higher price. I bought a G400 on Ebay brand new at a great deal and it is AWESOME! Sustains well, plays great and sounded good. I swapped the bridge pup for a Duncan C5 and I LOVE the guitar!!

EpiSG1.jpg

EpiSG2.jpg

• Members

I just got rid of mine because I didn't play it much; no problem with the guitar - I simply had too many guitars. However, my G400 was a great guitar - a "worn brown" model. Nice satin finish, good chunky neck. The action was nice and low. I put in two GFS crunchy pafs and it rocked! Could it be beat for $299? I doubt it.

:rawk:

Great looking guitars folks!!

Love mine. It's from the Qingdao factory in China!

EpiSG04.jpg

I think the stock pups are excellent. Clear and articulate and they take to distortion like fish to water!

[YOUTUBE]JKNQXUtRpDQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Whats the G-400 like with EMG's? I've got EMG's in my PRS Tremonti SE and i'm a big fan!

It is my first guitar with EMG's so I can't really compare but I like it. I am not fond of the 81 though. When i got it it had the usual 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. While restringing it I decided to swap the pickups out of curiosity. I like the 85 in the bridge much better but the 81 is muddy in the neck. I am probably get another 85 for the neck.

• Members

Within the Epiphine G-400 empire, does anyone know if there are any realt differences between the "1966 Reissue G-400" and the standard G-400? MF has the 1966 Reissue in black for $299...which is $50 cheaper than the regular G-400....

thanks...

• Members

Has anyone fitted their G-400 with a full SG pickguard?

A Gibson pickguard won't fit. The countours and pickup spacing are different.

I made a full pickguard for an Epi G400 Custom I had. I wanted to ditch the middle pickup so I made the large pickguard for it.

I'll try to remember to post some pics of it when I get home from work.

• Members

I love my Epiphone G400. I'm amazed at what a GREAT guitar it is for only $400 brand new with hardshell case!

I love the tone. It has just the right brightness and chime, yet it also has great midrange body!

Not the best clip here..... but its' my only clip I have of it so far:

[YOUTUBE]0xnGzeUpaDc[/YOUTUBE]

DSC03448.jpg

DSC03455.jpg

DSC03454.jpg

Archived