Variax owners: SOUND OFF!!

J.Paul

• Members

I just got a Variax (500) and am starting to acclimate myself to the feel and am in the begginings of programming it. All my gear burned in November then the trailer was broken into last week (guitars were stolen). I'm in a variety act that

plays diverse styles so it was a good time to make the change while I was replacing guitars.

So far so good (alotta good, a little bad).

Anyone wanna testify?

(give it the finger or the thumbs up)

• Members

It has all the character but not all of the vibe.
For instance you could never duplicate the intro to Funk49 exactly (some of the harmonic content isn't there), but you can get that exact tone (99%).

I'm more curious as to the reliability and consistency of the instrument.

• Members

For reliability, I think the 500/700 (where the electronics are in the cavity) are more reliable than the 300/600 (electronics attached to the pickguard, a little more susceptible to being banged around).

The downsides:

There aren't really high gain/metal pickup and guitar models available. The Firebird and Les Paul are probably the closest, which isn't very close.

Palm muting is difficult. Some find it impossible, others have no problem, so YMMV.

There is a hidden cost, you WILL want Workbench if you don't have it.

It eats batteries quickly.

Only two pickups available in Workbench.

The positives:

It can run off either batteries or AC. The Fender VG Strat, is batteries ony. My travel rig is a Variax 300 and a Roland Micro Cube, and I can get a million sounds even outdoors.

Workbench is amazing. You can create guitars that the manufacturers haven't. Les Paul with a lipstick pickup and a P-90? No problem. I have played around a lot with wiring pickups in series rather then parallel. A pain on a real guitar, one click in Workbench.

It is dead quiet due to the lack of magnetic pickups. Great for recording and also good in a live situation. You can get single coil sounds without hum and loud acoustic sounds without feedback.

Good integration with Pod XT Live (and I assume the X3 Live). You can switch guitar models, amp models, and effects all with one footswitch.

Great use of alternate tunings. My favorites are virtual capos (including "minus" capos for songs just outside your vocal range) and detuning the bottom two strings an octave for bass and guitar on the same instrument.

I also like the sounds better than other similar products I have tried (mostly the VG Strat and Roland)

• Members

I just got a Variax (500) and am starting to acclimate myself to the feel and am in the begginings of programming it. All my gear burned in November then the trailer was broken into last week (guitars were stolen). I'm in a variety act that

plays diverse styles so it was a good time to make the change while I was replacing guitars.

So far so good (alotta good, a little bad).

Anyone wanna testify?

(give it the finger or the thumbs up)

I use Variax pretty exclusively now. My Strat and Godin are collecting dust.

I use a variax 600 as main, with a cloned 300 as backup, and also use the 700 acoustic.

I recommend getting a pod xt live or pod x3 live for use with the Variax. THey handshake and open new realm of possibility in editing, guitar creation, alternate tunings, tweaking, and most usefully in real time switching.

• Members

Good integration with Pod XT Live (and I assume the X3 Live). You can switch guitar models, amp models, and effects all with one footswitch.

I AM using it w/ a PodX3Live.

Does anyone know if the X3Live can actually switch guitar models on the Variax with the X3Live's footswitch? If so, how?

• Members

Does anyone know if the X3Live can actually switch guitar models on the Variax with the X3Live's footswitch? If so, how?

I got an X3 Live but will be too busy to try it for a couple of weeks. On the XT Live, there was a setup parameter asking whether you wanted the XT Live to control the Variax, and within the patch edit screens there was a Variax page where you could specify the guitar model. Switching was then automatic by just selecting the patch with the footswitch.

If no one here knows whether the X3 live does this (I can't imagine them taking it out, it's a great feature), try the message boards at www.line6.com

• Members

Yes.

Make sure you update your x3 live first. CONNECT your variax to the x3 with the VDI cable. You cant edit the settings unless your Variax is connected. Then hit the 'inputs' button on the patch you wish to assign variax assignment. Underneath the normal setup for each tones inputs, you should see a model and tone settings values. Use these to assign which guitar you want affiliated with the given patch.

A few things:

1. Make sure the Global Control for Variax is Enabled (this is directly to the right on the tone 1 and 2 controls under the 'Inputs' menu).

2. Instead of scrolling through the guitar models with the knobs, you can simply switch to the model you want to use on the variax itself, and the x3 will change the setting.

• Members

I managed to get a black 300 just before they were discontinued. At the price $330CDN it was a bargain, I also wasnt expecting much. Thankfully I was wrong, the guitar plays really well. The build quality is great and the guitar was playable straight out of the box.

The need for Workbench really gripped me when I had exhausted all of the on board models. I play for the fun of it and only get to jam with a few friends once in a blue moon. The 300 just made it all the more entertaining for me to practice and improve.

• Members

Yes.

Make sure you update your x3 live first. CONNECT your variax to the x3 with the VDI cable. You cant edit the settings unless your Variax is connected. Then hit the 'inputs' button on the patch you wish to assign variax assignment. Underneath the normal setup for each tones inputs, you should see a model and tone settings values. Use these to assign which guitar you want affiliated with the given patch.

A few things:

1. Make sure the Global Control for Variax is Enabled (this is directly to the right on the tone 1 and 2 controls under the 'Inputs' menu).

2. Instead of scrolling through the guitar models with the knobs, you can simply switch to the model you want to use on the variax itself, and the x3 will change the setting.

Thanks, this saved me a lot of searching through the manual.

I have a 500, 300 (backup/travel guitar), 700 acoustic, and 705 bass Unfortunately, Workbench doesn't work with the bass.

• Members

the variax is like a synthesizer, it can never get the sound quite right. On top of that, its a lot more fun to play a 335 or a rickenbacker than an imitation; I own the 500 and it feels like a cheap Korean made guitar. I had a 300 for about a week and it had super high action and sharp frets. I couldnt wait to get rid of it.

If u need a cheap guitar with a lot of sounds it may be a good choice. If u are in a cover band it may be a practical instrument. Just dont expect it to replace your strat and les Paul.

• Members
the variax is like a synthesizer, it can never get the sound quite right. On top of that, its a lot more fun to play a 335 or a rickenbacker than an imitation; I own the 500 and it feels like a cheap Korean made guitar. I had a 300 for about a week and it had super high action and sharp frets. I couldnt wait to get rid of it.

If u need a cheap guitar with a lot of sounds it may be a good choice. If u are in a cover band it may be a practical instrument. Just dont expect it to replace your strat and les Paul.

It replaced mine. :p

The 600 line is not a cheap guitar. They are well made and play as well as any strat Ive played.

I really dont care if it sounds exactly like whatever guitar its set to model. Its so damn close to my ears. Not to mention most guitars have a fair amount of tonal variability between themselves anyhow, and when all is said and done, its a tool.

• Members
It replaced mine.
:p

The 600 line is not a cheap guitar. They are well made and play as well as any strat Ive played.

I really dont care if it sounds exactly like whatever guitar its set to model. Its so damn close to my ears. Not to mention most guitars have a fair amount of tonal variability between themselves anyhow, and when all is said and done, its a tool.

The Variax just doesn't get it quite right and on top of that it sounds kind of digital.

Anybody subscribe to the Guitar Port service? That was the whole reason I bought the Variax. I had the Variax in my office connected to the Guitar Port. Eventually as my business grew I nolonger had time for the guitar port service so I canceled it.

• Members

Actually the Variax is nothing like a synthesizer. No MIDI, no tracking delays, and you can go guitar-cable-amp if you are willing to run off batteries. I have a MIDI guitar (Parker MIDIFly), and while it has all sorts of sounds, it is a pain to set up (external synth box) and use. The Variax is nothing like that.

If, er, "u" had said that it only sometimes gets the sound quite right, you would be correct. Never is absurd, there have been too many threads here, on the Line 6 boards, and elsewhere, where people have been unable to tell the "real thing" from a Variax.

As to more fun, you have to be kidding. You could certainly argue that a 335 sounds better, but you aren't going to throw a banjo solo in the middle of a song on one. I have plenty of "real" guitars - Fender, Gibson, Parker, PRS, Rickenabcker, G&L, custom made, etc. I play my Variaxes more than any of them, which speaks to what I think is fun.

Mimicing existing guitars is one of the LEAST interesting things a Variax does. You can get all sorts of sounds that a Strat or Les Paul couldn't dream of. Think of when the electric guitar first came out. I'm sure purists complained that it didn't sound like a "real" aka acoustic guitar. It didn't, but it could do things that were totally impossible on an acoustic (and IMO much more interesting sounds). The same is true of a Variax, if you have any sort of imagination, it is a great tool.

• Members

I used to own a Variax 300 and a PODxt Live. I think the POD + Variax is a very useful and versatile combination. But, I did not like the Variax through my guitar pedals and tube amps. Plus, the Variax is missing a lot of the harmonic content of the real thing which seems to become more obvious as you begin to add gain. Still, I like the technology. I GAS for a custom axe with magnetic pups and Variax system built in for ultimate versatility.

• Members

I have a Variax 500 that I run with a POD XTL and a Roland GR-33 guitar synth. The versatility is insane. The Variax provides a bunch of tones that I could not get otherwise (lack of budget, lack of space, etc). It isn't my main guitar, but I do use it often.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My 500 stooped interfacing w/ Gearbox (Line6 software used to customize the tunings and pickups) and support has basically told me I'm screwed (it's out of production). I picked up a 600 and like it pretty good too, although it needs a setup.

• Members

The guitar player in my band uses two. One as a backup. This is a guy that is filthy rich and has a nice collection of LP's, PRS' and Fender's but uses his Variax's.

He hated them at first but found some tech that did amazing setups on them. Now he loves them.

Archived