Fender Champion 600 : what's the fix for the grill cloth buzz ?

woodsmandan

• Members

Well, I just got my new Champ 600, and sure enough it has the famous speaker grill cloth flabbing buzzing when played loud and cranked...as I read somewhere, puttin a finger on the cloth where it buzz stops the buzzing, so I know it's the source of the noize.

I tought about putting double sided tape between the speaker frame and the grill cloth to tame it...anyone has another idea about this ?:confused:

The cleans are great by the way, love it for cleans with subtle Space Echo slap back. The cranked sound leaves to be desired, partly due to the grill flabbing, maybe also due to the cheap chinese tubes and unbroken speaker...

So, how do you guys fixed the flabbing ?

• Members

it has the famous speaker grill cloth flabbing buzzing when played loud and cranked...

Never heard of it. The grill cloth feels like a really soft velour to me - hard to believe it would create an audible buzz. I, too, sold mine after tiring of 6" speakers (both stock and Weber) not being able to handle the volume. Nice cleans, though.

• Members

I would say the problem is the tiny 6" speaker... which is why I sold mine.

Well, the tiny speaker IS flabby at high volume, but there's an audible buzzing that stops when I put my finger on the grill, just by the speaker frame, so it's definitely the velour cloth flabbing against the the speaker frame. I'm surprised no one else noticed that:confused:

• Members

I have the exact same buzzing that occurs from my speaker grill (is this a Fender thing...I have the Frontman 25R practice amp)...the buzzing also stops when I put my finger on the grill, where it meets the speaker frame...this buzzing only occurs on the low bass notes...anyway, I managed to reduce (somewhat) the buzzing by placing little felt dot stickers around the perimeter of the speaker hole, between the grill and speaker frame to absorb some of the vibrations...it still buzzes so to completely adhere the grill cloth to the speaker frame is a better solution...with what, I don't know...an even better solution is to get a Blackheart Combo Amp...which I may be buying this weekend!

• Members

Ya made me have to take out my Gretsch G5222 and take it for a spin. I haven't even checked what tubes came stock yet.

One of these days, I should swap in the Mullard RI 12ax7, and Haltron 6v6GT. Then break out the SX SST Ltd2 I got this week, and see how they like each other.

• Members

Ya know I had 6.5 in there cuz that's what I remembered it to be, but they say 6". I even checked my order before posting the link. That's the one. It fits.

edit: well sorta. in the diameter direction....

• Members

hey, let us know if this fixes the buzzing!

So...I applied some 3M VHB double side tape all over the baffle before putting the cloth back...no more buzzing ! But the cranked overdriven sound is still lacking...I've put a GT 12AX7, but the 6V6 is still the original chinese one, I'll have to swap it ASAP...and it sounds like the speaker needs a good breaking up. I have to try it in a bigger speaker cab...

But the CLEANS ! :love: Even if I can't ever squeeze a usable cranked overdriven sound out of this box, it's still gonna be a keeper for the great low volume clean tone.:thu:

• Members

The cleans weren't loud enough for me, so mine's gone completely over to the dark side of overdrive.

Put a JJ 6V6 in it. The stock one melted on me. These run the B+ pretty high for a 6V6.

I tried a 12AT7 last night and it increased the headroom a good bunch...with my Telecaster it's sparkling clean all the way to 10 and just a hint of breakup at 12. I like it like a lot that.

Archived