AD30VT - AC30 model problem? Help...

Into Nation

• Members

I recently got one of these used. Too many knobs and dials to fully check out at time of purchase needless to say.

In any event I'm finding perhaps a problem with the AC models, most notably the AC30TB model. Here is the setup:

Attenuator in the back at about the third dot.

Gain about 11 o'clock.

Volume dimed.

All EQ's at 1 o'clock.

FX using low level reverb.

Master volume dimed.

This gives a fairly low volume overdrive. I plug in a strat w/SC's and get a really nasty sounding overdriven sound. It can be really heard playing single strings, I really hear it playing the third string at frets 3,4,5. It almost sounds like a blown speaker. But if I up the attenuator and clean up the sound, it goes away. Higher volumes clean, no problem. Not near as bad with humbuckers.

The blackface and tweed models, I don't hear it but I'm really curious because I have read that a lot of folks use the AC30 as their 'goto' model with this amp.

Now I know that this is modeling an overdriven tube, but is this the way it is supposed to sound or do I have something funky going on? Can anyone owning this amp reproduce this? I can probably record it if it would be of help.

Thanks...

• Members

I recently got one of these used. Too many knobs and dials to fully check out at time of purchase needless to say.

In any event I'm finding perhaps a problem with the AC models, most notably the AC30TB model. Here is the setup:

Attenuator in the back at about the third dot.

Gain about 11 o'clock.

Volume dimed.

All EQ's at 1 o'clock.

FX using low level reverb.

Master volume dimed.

This gives a fairly low volume overdrive. I plug in a strat w/SC's and get a really nasty sounding overdriven sound. It can be really heard playing single strings,
I really hear it playing the third string at frets 3,4,5
. It almost sounds like a blown speaker. But if I up the attenuator and clean up the sound, it goes away. Higher volumes clean, no problem. Not near as bad with humbuckers.

The blackface and tweed models, I don't hear it but I'm really curious because I have read that a lot of folks use the AC30 as their 'goto' model with this amp.

Now I know that this is modeling an overdriven tube, but is this the way it is supposed to sound or do I have something funky going on? Can anyone owning this amp reproduce this? I can probably record it if it would be of help.

Thanks...

An audio clip would help.

• Members

Turn the attenuator in the back of the amp up all the way. Don't go by dots, use your ears and don't look at the controls while adjusting them.

Keep your master volume full up.

Dial in the tones remembering that the dials will react as the original amp does, so start with them at noon and go from there.

If you need to, back off the master volume a bit, but this will take some clarity away from the tone slightly. Backing off of thhe attenuator will also take clarity away from the amp.

See if this helps.

• Members

Turn the attenuator in the back of the amp up all the way. Don't go by dots, use your ears and don't look at the controls while adjusting them.

Keep your master volume full up.

Dial in the tones remembering that the dials will react as the original amp does, so start with them at noon and go from there.

If you need to, back off the master volume a bit, but this will take some clarity away from the tone slightly. Backing off of thhe attenuator will also take clarity away from the amp.

See if this helps.

I was only providing the dots for point of reference to someone reproducing this. I agree with what you say, but what I'm going for is low volume overdriven sound. I thought that is what the attenuator was designed to do. I works okay on some models, but this one sounds not so good...

• Members

I've never dimmed the volume control only the master. Not sure if that might be what you are hearing. I'm not sure how many dots there are on the attenuator, I'm usually at about 11 o'clock

Base and treble controls someplace between 2o'clock and dimmed position usually. Mid at noon

Not sure I heard what you are hearing on the clip, I heard some buzzing but I heard that on both models

• Members

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but it helps if you can disable the nosie gate.

1: Press the bypass button so that the bypass light comes on.

2: Then hold the TAP button down whilst turning the EDIT 1 knob.

3; Turning the Edit 1 knob in a clockwise direction progressively turns on the noise gate earlier.

4: Turning the Edit 1 knob in a counter-clockwise direction, progressively turns off the noise gate.

You have to repeat this every time you put the amp on.

It might help.

• Members

I've never dimmed the volume control only the master. Not sure if that might be what you are hearing. I'm not sure how many dots there are on the attenuator, I'm usually at about 11 o'clock

Base and treble controls someplace between 2o'clock and dimmed position usually. Mid at noon

Not sure I heard what you are hearing on the clip, I heard some buzzing but I heard that on both models

It is the buzzing, sounds terrible. It is in both models but much less in the Fender model.

• Members

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but it helps if you can disable the nosie gate.

1: Press the bypass button so that the bypass light comes on.

2: Then hold the TAP button down whilst turning the EDIT 1 knob.

3; Turning the Edit 1 knob in a clockwise direction progressively turns on the noise gate earlier.

4: Turning the Edit 1 knob in a counter-clockwise direction, progressively turns off the noise gate.

You have to repeat this every time you put the amp on.

It might help.

I tried messing with the noise gate, it had no effect.

• Members

Some more interesting info.

If I plug in headphones, I still get the buzzing sound. Not quite so bad, but still there. So that takes the speaker, grille, cab, and tube out of the equation and seems to put it pretty much on the input modeling ckt.

The strat is a Squier with stock pups, but I've also plugged in a MIM tex mex with hotter pups and had the same result.

• Members

I think I've determined that the amp has nothing to do with this. I plugged the same guitar into my Fender tube amp and got the same effect when using a Bad Monkey to overdrive it. So it is probably some interaction of single coils and overdriven tube, or cheap single coils and overdriven tubes, I don't know.

I think the reason this happened is because I usually only play the s/c's clean or with very little o/d and even the cheap Squires sound pretty nice this way. But what I was trying to do with the vox was drive the s/c's further than I usually do. They sure do sound like crap though - I learned that much. Buckers sound fine in the same zone.

False alarm, sorry......

• Members

My Vox AD15VT was very noisy on some settings when used with my Aria Strat with S/C pick-ups. I did the shielding thing with the copper tape in the routs and behind the pick-guard. I believe this creates a 'Faraday Cage'?

Anyway I still had a bit of noise there. I soldered a piece of wire direct to the copper shielding in the routs and soldered it to the bottom tone knob pot by mistake instead of the volume knob.

Guess what? No noise whatsoever. The only thing is when the tone knob is all the way up to 10 and I am in a certain pick-up configuration, it acts a a kill-switch.

Bonus if you ask me. We all learn by our mistakes.:thu:

The copper tape was about

• Members

The attenuator is a gimmick. There, I said it.

If you look at the circuitry, the atten is just a volume control before the solid state pwr amp. It's nothing like a Hot Plate on a tube amp.

I have the AD15VT that doesn't have one. So I use the master. I get great tones.

Turning some of the knobs down makes for better tone. I rarely run the gain over 2 oclock.

• Members

If you look at the circuitry, the atten is just a volume control before the solid state pwr amp. It's nothing like a Hot Plate on a tube amp.

I have the AD15VT that doesn't have one. So I use the master. I get great tones.

Turning some of the knobs down makes for better tone. I rarely run the gain over 2 oclock.

+1, like most amps, this one sounds best loud.

• Members

how close are the pickups to the strings, sounds a bit like what I've heard refered to as a "wolf-tone", happens when the pickups are affecting the strings resonance.

Just eyeballing it, maybe 1/4 inch 6-7mm.. Maybe try lowering them?

Edit: I lowered the pups, and it only lowered the volume. Once bringing it back up on the amp, same thing. I think it's just a matter of knowing what models work best with what guitar and where to dial it in.

• Members

Just eyeballing it, maybe 1/4 inch 6-7mm.. Maybe try lowering them?

Edit: I lowered the pups, and it only lowered the volume. Once bringing it back up on the amp, same thing. I think it's just a matter of knowing what models work best with what guitar and where to dial it in.

wouldn't hurt, can always just put them back :)

btw, that was a total guess on some information i read many moons ago, but thought it may help :thu:

• Members

I'm sure you are right about it. Through a bit more fooling around this evening I did find a use for the attenuator though. Backing it off a tad from its max tones down the hiss coming from the amp. And you are right, if I have it about 2 oclock, I can use the volume as a 'master', with the real master dimed. Sounds and acts the same as having both top volumes dimed, and using the attenuator as the 'master'. This amp clearly takes some time to figure out what to do for optimum results.

• Members

It's tricky to find the sweet spots with this amps, It took me awhile to get mine to sound right. I had a similar problem with higher gain models, whre there would be a distorted thump when playing very low or very highe notes. (like an overwhelmed speaker) specially with single coils.

It went away when I turned the volume never past 12 oclock and used the atenuator as a volume (the master always dimed). now is smooth as silk, plus I can get the clean sounding models to better match the volume of the higher gain ones so that I can switch back and forth with a foot switch.

I still yet to find any real use for most of the efects other than the reverb or delay which I always use.

• Members

I think the reason this happened is because I usually only play the s/c's clean or with very little o/d and even the cheap Squires sound pretty nice this way. But what I was trying to do with the vox was drive the s/c's further than I usually do. They sure do sound like crap though - I learned that much. Buckers sound fine in the same zone.

I've had much better luck with buckers or P90's with my AD50. It doesn't like my strat much at all.

Archived