First guitar build, tele or LP?

voneville

• Members

I was killing some time in the carpenter shop onboard my ship today and decided to make some shavings with a spokeshave. Man was it fun, and surprisingly relaxing. I grabbed a piece of Mahogany scrap and started shapping a neck. Once I got the shape how I wanted it I hit it up with some sand paper and then slapped on some thinned out spar varnish. It turned out really nice, I wish I would have used a full size piece of stock rather then just a scrap piece.

I've been dreaming about it for years, I even bought a couple of books. I've been watching with envy as talented people like AJC build really nice guitars for themselves. After today I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge if I can decide on what I want to build.

I'm gonna do a poll, maybe you guys can help me decide.

My top three choices are:

Les Paul Standard. I've always wanted one but could never afford one.

Telecaster. What can I say, I love the feel of Tele's. Currently I have two (HH and P-90). When it comes to guitars there's always room for a third.

Les Paul Junior.

If this goes well I could see myself turning into an addict and building all of the above eventually.

Logic tells me start with the Tele first since it's what I know best and seems like the most straight forward to build, but I like a challenge and the LP Standard seems like it may be a little bit more fulfilling or gratifying. Maybe the LP Junior would be a good comprimise?:blah::blah::blah: Also, I'm gonna say doing my own design is not on the table, not right now anyway. I like the classic designs.

• Members

All sound nice but consider a thru neck, great sustain and actualy easier to do than a set neck, I kid you not. Made a lot of them in the late 70's and through the 80's , great for those high notes too.

• Members

I've built several guitars, both set neck and bolt-on. I really don't find the set necks to be that much more difficult. Either way you still have to get the angle and neck cavity right. I think the hardest part of a LP would be the carved top.... that's the only thing keeping me from attempting one. I've done LP jr. style, and that's pretty easy. For a first build you can't get much simpler than a tele.

• Members

I've built several guitars, both set neck and bolt-on. I really don't find the set necks to be that much more difficult. Either way you still have to get the angle and neck cavity right. I think the hardest part of a LP would be the carved top.... that's the only thing keeping me from attempting one. I've done LP jr. style, and that's pretty easy. For a first build you can't get much simpler than a tele.

I find set necks to be easier to build than neck throughs, but then again I like making the mortise and tenon on the set necks. Neck throughs are a bit more cumbersome and you sometimes have to finalize the body profile after you put the fingerboard on.

As for carved tops, it's addictive and not that hard to do as long as you leave the area under the fingerboard flat. There's a great article in a past issue of American Lutherie that shows how to layout a carving map (kinda like a topographic map), and it works every time, as well as for other body outlines.

FWIW, it's easy to carve a perfect neck every time if you layout the facets with pencil lines then spokeshave/chisel/scrape/sureform to the lines. After a primary, secondary, and tertiary facets, all you're left with are some ridges to smooth out with the scraper then do the shoeshine sanding thing. Done.

• Members

Re: Arkay's suggested Mosrite build:

There's plenty of it peeling of the counter tops in the heads though. I hear recycling and re-purposing reclaimed material is really hip right now
:)
Hmmm...

Recycled headwood, eh?

A bold 'venture' indeed....

• Members

I find set necks to be easier to build than neck throughs, but then again I like making the mortise and tenon on the set necks. Neck throughs are a bit more cumbersome and you sometimes have to finalize the body profile after you put the fingerboard on.

As for carved tops, it's addictive and not that hard to do as long as you leave the area under the fingerboard flat. There's a great article in a past issue of American Lutherie that shows how to layout a carving map (kinda like a topographic map), and it works every time, as well as for other body outlines.

FWIW, it's easy to carve a perfect neck every time if you layout the facets with pencil lines then spokeshave/chisel/scrape/sureform to the lines. After a primary, secondary, and tertiary facets, all you're left with are some ridges to smooth out with the scraper then do the shoeshine sanding thing. Done.

That's a great tip on the laying out lines. It's funny how easy it is to take away too much material when you get in the groove of things.

I'm not scared of the neck joint on a set neck guitar. I do woodworking as a hobby and that's part of the appeal with the LP Standard, there's a lot more woodworking involved.

But then again, if I don't like the neck on the tele I could build another neck and the body won't be firewood. Hmm... Still on the fence.

Archived