Hot Deals now a waste of space?!?!

FUBTAG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Uh-oh, this could get interesting.....
Guess this is the result of a couple recent strands of the thread that were about politics and shipping (and I know there have been other times about other things, just can only recall those two because they were the most recent and almost back-to-back).

For the record, I didn't vote in the poll, not much for choices, but here's what I think of the Hot Deals thread;
- while I think some people on there are a little too anal about "extra" posts, I will also agree that runs like the ones on politics and shipping did not belong there.
- I'm not looking to buy any more guitars or amps, but I still look to see if there are any great deals on accessories you always need, but really, the "hot deals" just don't seem to be there as much any more and don't seem that "hot" any more.
- posts about Craigslists items always seemed like a waste to me. Yes, some hot deals there, but for the most part, for local purchase only, and anyone on here looking for something is probably already checking the CL listings in their area.

So shut it down? I don't know.
As long as it's there, I'm sure I will continue look, if it's shut down, I doubt I will really miss it much.

• Members

I think we should keep it but also people need to be a little less touchy and not get set off so easily. I don't know how many times I have stopped myself from replying to something that doesn't really need to be there. If everyone would just make a joint effort to ask themselves: "Should really I post this message? Is it truly related to a Hot Deal? Or should I go spend some time in the Amp Forum?"

• Members

I think we should keep it but also people need to be a little less touchy and not get set off so easily. I don't know how many times I have stopped myself from replying to something that doesn't really need to be there. If everyone would just make a joint effort to ask themselves: "Should really I post this message? Is it truly related to a Hot Deal? Or should I go spend some time in the Amp Forum?"

This is just it -- most people using the thread do not seem to have the ability to self-govern themselves. It has been asked time and time again... keep the 'chatter' out of the thread.... to no avail. So much so that one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) contributors to the thread has stopped.

PLUS -- the reason the thread was started was the takeover blowouts when sites were jettisoning alot of stuff... now -- not so much. WWBW is a clearinghouse it seems, M123 has random stuff thast you could find on your own anyway.... Craigslist and Ebay should not be included because the hot deal is very subjective.... and usually not.

• Members

I haven't posted my vote because the "no" answer implies it's a place to post one's views, instead of a place to post hot deals. I'm in favor of keeping it if we can keep on target. I always check it. You never know what deal will be coming up next.....

• Members

I've posted a lot in that thread, but it's just been getting worse and worse in there over the past couple of months. I try to post ONLY if I actually have a hot deal to contribute, but that's certainly not the case with most people posting in there. I've completely stopped contributing any deals I find. I just keep them to myself now.

That thread now is overrun with people saying how many Pignose amps they bought, telling everyone that they got a shipping notification, giving reviews of things they got from the Hot Deals thread, espousing lame political views, etc. It's a waste of space. For every 50 posts, there is one hot deal. Shut it down.

• Members

Poll: Should the Hot Deals Thread be closed?

_ Yes - shut it down

_ No - I am a complete idiot and I don't think I can make it on my own

Nothing like loading the question to get the answers like you want them.

Personally, I have found out about good deals that otherwise I probably would have never found by chance. The thread has served me well on occasion. I have made good purchases and added a few bookmarks directly because of the Hot Deals thread. There is not always a generous assortment of spectacular deals to be found at a given time, so sometimes the pickin's are slim, but that is not the thread's fault.

When there was a recent wave of personal disagreement, I wasn't in that and found it very easy to stay out of it. Did you lose an argument in the thread and want to start a campaign to hurt everyone who visits the thread?

I have an idea for you. If you feel that the thread is a "waste of space", then don't go in there, but let the people who aren't as enlightened as you squander their time in there if that's what they choose to do. It will keep them out of your way out here. See? win-win.

• Members

I don't think it should be "shut down" so I didn't vote. I just think it should be de-stickied. People can subscribe to it if they want. There's other threads around here that aren't stickied that keep on living because people are interested in them.

• Members

I've posted a lot in that thread, but it's just been getting worse and worse in there over the past couple of months. I try to post ONLY if I actually have a hot deal to contribute, but that's certainly not the case with most people posting in there. I've completely stopped contributing any deals I find. I just keep them to myself now.

That thread now is overrun with people saying how many Pignose amps they bought, telling everyone that they got a shipping notification, giving reviews of things they got from the Hot Deals thread, espousing lame political views, etc. It's a waste of space. For every 50 posts, there is one hot deal. Shut it down.

You sir, are a gentleman and I personally thank you for you contributions.

• Members

Poll: Should the Hot Deals Thread be closed?

_ Yes - shut it down

_ No - I am a complete idiot and I don't think I can make it on my own

Nothing like loading the question to get the answers like you want them.

Personally, I have found out about good deals that otherwise I probably would have never found by chance. The thread has served me well on occasion. I have made good purchases and added a few bookmarks directly because of the Hot Deals thread. There is not always a generous assortment of spectacular deals to be found at a given time, so sometimes the pickin's are slim, but that is not the thread's fault.

When there was a recent wave of personal disagreement, I wasn't in that and found it very easy to stay out of it. Did you lose an argument in the thread and want to start a campaign to hurt everyone who visits the thread?

I have an idea for you. If you feel that the thread is a "waste of space", then don't go in there, but let the people who aren't as enlightened as you squander their time in there if that's what they choose to do. It will keep them out of your way out here. See? win-win.

See the thread above you. I don't get into nor lose arguments. I was around when the hot deal thread was started (we used to change it one a month) and contributed my found deals. It is now a waste of thread space.

There is no loading the question.... there are people who believe that the rules posted at the beginning of the thread (and repeated throughout) don't hold to them.. do why give a forum to it?

• Members

i've found a lot of good deals on that thread. early stupid deals of the day and cool blems and rebates. i apologised in the thread for starting something a few days back and will not go off topic anymore. again i'm sorry i commented on the economy but hot deals is the first thing i look at every morning. please keep it. i knew i had to stay up late to get my worn yellow sg when it was a sdotd when someone posted it early. also, although i didn't want one, a lot of people were alerted when MF made a mistake and put the burgundy Les Paul's on sdotd not realizing the rebate of 500 started that day as well. a few got the LP for 1200!! that's due to the hot deals thread.

• Members

See the thread above you. I don't get into nor lose arguments. I was around when the hot deal thread was started (we used to change it one a month) and contributed my found deals. It is now a waste of thread space.

There is no loading the question.... there are people who believe that the rules posted at the beginning of the thread (and repeated throughout) don't hold to them.. do why give a forum to it?

Do you actually know what "loading the question" means?

• Members

I was unaffected by the participants in the spirited discussions. I don't get involved there, I just stop in to see if someone has found a good deal or an attractive promotion going on that I didn't know about.

During the little {censored}storm I had no interest in the contents of those posts so I did not waste my time with them. I recently got a Pignose G-60VR thanks to posts in the Hot Deals thread alerting me that it was available yet again at Goingtoday.com . I would have missed that. Granted, I didn't really neeeed it, but I am glad to have it.

If the place annoys you then please don't waste your time there. Some of us like it. Your going in there and then complaining about it is like putting anchovies on your pizza and then complaining about them being there. But more than that, then mounting a campaign to outlaw anchovies.

If you don't like the place, then don't go in there.

• Members

I was unaffected by the participants in the spirited discussions. I don't get involved there, I just stop in to see if someone has found a good deal or an attractive promotion going on that I didn't know about.

During the little {censored}storm I had no interest in the contents of those posts so I did not waste my time with them. I recently got a Pignose G-60VR thanks to posts in the Hot Deals thread alerting me that it was available yet again at Goingtoday.com . I would have missed that. Granted, I didn't really neeeed it, but I am glad to have it.

If the place annoys you then please don't waste your time there. Some of us like it. Your going in there and then complaining about it is like putting anchovies on your pizza and then complaining about them being there. But more than that, then mounting a campaign to outlaw anchovies.

If you don't like the place, then don't go in there.

Dude- I am not debating the deals in the thread..... but the fact that anyone to have to pick out a cranberry has to wade through the bog of crap.... That is not the intent of the thread...If I want people's political views, or information about how bad shipping is, or what they had for breakfast I would look elsewhere...

Not looking to fight here... It is a simple poll.

• Members

There are 167 pages in that thread. Perhaps it would help if a) it were moderated, and b) reset every week. Limit the posts to just the deals, and not opinions on how hot or not that deal might be. It's out of hand.

The thread would need a moderator of it's own. The limits are there posted right in the first page. It used to be reset every month. It's just the lack of self governing that has killed it.

Archived