Are Carvins worth buying USED?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a piece I would like to buy sight unseen.

But I'll tell this................There's a Ma-Pa shop intown here that many of us players frequent. They had a Blue 135 I think it was? Sort of a Strat style body with HSH pups, Wilkinson Trem, Ebony board.

Anyway I picked it up and it felt good. So I plugged it in and the guitar felt and sounded Damn Good. Nice worn in kind of used also. So I commented to the owner as I unplugged that I liked the guitar and it felt great after playing a bit.

He responded that, Every one that had picked it up like I had liked it. But it wasn't for sale, he bought it for himself and kind of wanted to get an idea of what other thought about it?

I wanted to build one of their kits a few times. But I'lll tell you this. I did use their bolt-on neck on a couple electrics I built. I liked it but IMO it doesn't have a real vintage feel to it with the tilt back headstock. Well built and excellent fretwork. Yet gain they by far are not FAT necks. They remind me of PRS Wide-Thin with a wide feel yet nothing for meat underneath. If they did a Wide-Fat type like PRS? I'd be all over them again. Shiy you can't beat thenm, for the cash. I seen Squier necks go for more on E-Bay?

Ya first time I bought a neck was a Carvin. I wanted the best posssible neck I could buy with the least amount of cash. I also wanted the Tilt Back at the time. And it was great, but I used it on a Tele. And after putting the guitar together? I just felt that a Tele really should have a Tele neck on it? But with the Sperzels? It was the Bomb. At that time Carvin had their hardware priced very good also. Sperzels were better priced their than anywhere.

Anyway the lesson I learned about myself? I have to have a Tele neck on a Tele body for me to be happy. Hell I cut my Agile Tele's headstock to a Fender template?

• Members

:eek:

That is the least negative carvin post I've ever seen from you.

You feeling ok? :poke:

Then you don't read all my Carvin posts. I try to post objectively. Despite what you all think, I don't have an anti-Carvin agenda. Check over in Live Sound. I like their PA gear.

• Members

Then you don't read all my Carvin posts. I try to post objectively. Despite what you all think, I don't have an anti-Carvin agenda. Check over in Live Sound. I like their PA gear.

:poke:

You know, I was really hoping for an April Fools NGD post from you, raving about your new DC400 and taking it all back.

You let me down, man.

• Members

I would say yes. New I am not sure the resale is not that great, but hey used someone else took the hit. I have a Carvin Kitbass that I put together it works great after putting together warmoth guitars it is too easy in comparison.

• Members

:poke:

You know, I was really hoping for an April Fools NGD post from you, raving about your new DC400 and taking it all back.

You let me down, man.

I've been thinking about posting a Carvin love thread just to appease RavenCad and the others that seem to think my Carvin experiences are somehow my fault. Maybe one day. Sorry to let you down. I'll try to remember next year.

• Members

yeah I have actually - even got their catalog in the mail, but for some reason - and I have
no
idea
why
- I just go "meh."

Believe me, it confuses me too.
:confused:

I used to get their catalogs for years, and the only thing I ever bought from them were pups that I put in my old BC Rich Mock NJ (I WISH I COULD FIND HER AGAIN!!!!!). Carvin always had this weird mystique about them, like they were some low-rent, Home Shopping Network-type junk. Yet, I neevr had any justification for that.

I DID buy a used Ultra V a long time ago that I kept for about a year, but then I stopped playing. I traded it in. VERY fast neck (just not a comfy shape to play sitting down at all). IIRC, it was actually a very, very nice guitar that I got for next to nothing. But even when I brought down to Sam Ash in White Plains, the reaction of the sales guy was priceless. When I said I wanted to trade in a guitar, he opened the case and said, "A Carvin?? Ah, {censored}...." They took it anyway for about $125.:thu:

That said, I always had a secret lust for the DC 125 and 200....

• Members

yeah I have actually - even got their catalog in the mail, but for some reason - and I have
no
idea
why
- I just go "meh."

Believe me, it confuses me too.
:confused:

It's because you've only LOOKED at them.. Once you play one, nothing else will come close.

and yeah, buying a used Carvin is a fine idea. Their resale value has gone up a lot recently though, so it's not the super deal it once was..

• Members

It's because you've only LOOKED at them.. Once you play one, nothing else will come close.

See how you come along and make easily disputable blanket statements. It's okay when you do it I guess.

Gibson, G&L, Heritage, Fender and many others make guitars that easily come close or surpass what Carvin does. Sure, if you get a good Carvin, you get a good guitar for the money, but saying nothing else comes close is just outright medium-smiley-114.gif.

• Members

Dude, just go away.. Every Carvin thread that comes along, you feel that you have to come make some dickhead remark.. We get it, you don't like em.. Congrats, you've made that point. Now go sit in the anti-fanboy corner and suck yer thumb like a good wittle baby.

• Members

Dude, just go away.. Every Carvin thread that comes along, you feel that you have to come make some dickhead remark.. We get it, you don't like em.. Congrats, you've made that point. Now go sit in the anti-fanboy corner and suck yer thumb like a good wittle baby.

I was actually praised for my first post in this thread. If you're going to come along and say Carvin blows everything else away, I'm going to come along and correct you. Unlike statements such as yours in this thread, mine are grounded in reality. Cut out the hyperbole, and I won't feel compelled to correct you.

• Members

Carvin makes some cool stuff, but their warranty on guitars is more limited than many other brands...a big turn off for me.

Fender/Gibson and many others: lifetime warranty

Carvin: "Your Carvin product is guaranteed against failure for 1 year unless otherwise stated (3 years for Power Amplifiers, 5 years for guitars, 90 days for tubes and wireless mics). Carvin will service and supply all parts at no charge to the customer providing the unit is under warranty. Shipping costs are the responsibility of the customer. CARVIN DOES NOT PAY FOR PARTS OR SERVICING OTHER THAN OUR OWN. A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE IS REQUIRED TO VERIFY YOUR WARRANTY......."

Archived