Gibson USA made in China????

bass_n_drums

• Members

I checked out ebay for some Gibby Les Pauls and happened to bump into replicas of Gibson that are made in China with the Made in USA in back of the headstock....does anybody know about them? And are they fake? I happened to know a musician that bought one and loves it. He initially thought it was made in the USA but, I confirmed from what I saw on ebay that they are made in China. They seem to be built pretty well.

But that's as far as I know....anybody out there knows about this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gibson does NOT make guitars in China, let alone guitars stamped "Made in USA." (Epiphone does have a factory in China and subcontracts with other factories). When you buy one of these, you're basically getting mystery meat--there's always a small chance you'll get something good, but more likely you'll be getting assorted scraps haphazardly thrown together.

Yours is the first even remotely positive report on one of these guitars that I've seen.

• Members

Doesn't anybody stop and ask themselves, "Why would they stamp a guitar Made in the USA if it was made in China?" I think people who buy those guitars are either ignorant (not meant in a pejorative way) or are fooling themselves.

I wish eBay would shut off China completely.

• Members

Originally posted by jeffcoop

Gibson does NOT make guitars in China, let alone guitars stamped "Made in USA." (Epiphone does have a factory in China and subcontracts with other factories). When you buy one of these, you're basically getting mystery meat--there's always a small chance you'll get something good, but more likely you'll be getting assorted scraps haphazardly thrown together.

Yours is the first even remotely positive report on one of these guitars that I've seen.

Gibson does make guitars in China.True,they are branded as Epiphones,but it says Gibson on the factory gates.

http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/2003/jan16a.html

• Members

Originally posted by paul44

Gibson does make guitars in China.True,they are branded as Epiphones,but it says Gibson on the factory gates.

Well, there you go.

Also, the Chinese characters on the banner say, "Larruping Mulitfacet Musical Guitar. I want to be your friend. China has 5000 years of culture!"

• Members

Unless you are fairly knowledgeable about exactly what distinguishes Gibsons from re-tooled Epiphones (which is what the Chinese fakes often appear to be), unfortunately it's best to just assume anything sold by anyone in China claiming to have a Gibson is a fake.

Sad.

BK

• 1 year later...
  • Members

It's real hardwood, the setup was almost dead on, and came in a hardshell case

for $400. The pickups, labeled as Epiphone, sucked. Guitar was $300 via wholesaler in China, shipping $100.

Now here's the kicker, this particular guitar is labeled as a custom shop, with a very flamey cherry sunburst top and back. It's got a custom flame inlay on the fretboard and a custom shop inlay on the headstock. Oh, and it's a 3 pickup with a bigsby!

It feels like a Les Paul, it looks like a Les Paul, and as soon as he gets all the pickups switched out, will sound like a Les Paul.

I had a '94 The Paul II, and it sucked compared to this, and I paid almost twice the money.

Epiphones are overpriced, and Gibsons are way overpriced.

I'll be ordering one soon...

• Members

When I first got my SG, I took it to a local music store to get some random odds and ends for it. The owner of the store went on to tell me he does not like Gibsons. Everyones entitled to their opinon. Except him, he told me they are made in a town called Usa, Korea.

I am pretty sure he is senile, but ya know, whatever.

And I think if you would rather buy a fake LP than an Epiphone (or any other legitimate company that makes Les Paul like guitars) you need to rethink why your buying it. "I want to rockout a fake to put the Gibson fanboys to shame". Not a good reason.

Currently gassing for a plain top Epi btw.

• Members

for $400. The pickups, labeled as Epiphone, sucked. Guitar was $300 via wholesaler in China, shipping $100.

Now here's the kicker, this particular guitar is labeled as a custom shop, with a very flamey cherry sunburst top and back. It's got a custom flame inlay on the fretboard and a custom shop inlay on the headstock. Oh, and it's a 3 pickup with a bigsby!

It feels like a Les Paul, it looks like a Les Paul, and as soon as he gets all the pickups switched out, will sound like a Les Paul.

I had a '94 The Paul II, and it sucked compared to this, and I paid almost twice the money.

Your first post and it's to tell us how good a counterfeit Gibson is because "your friend has one"? Let me guess: Do you have a small business selling illegal guitars from China?

• Members

Your first post and it's to tell us how good a counterfeit Gibson is because "your friend has one"? Let me guess: Do you have a small business selling illegal guitars from China?

No, just saying that the guitar is decent. I was looking for information on these guitars and found this forum. I've been checking out the user reviews for years but never noticed this.

I've got a couple real Gibsons - an 84 Explorer and a Faded Sg, and I love 'em both. I've also got a couple Epiphones and I'm not impressed. This "copy" impressed me.

Take it for what it's worth.

E

• Members

:cop: I think you figured that one right. Although the english was normal.

• Members

When I first got my SG, I took it to a local music store to get some random odds and ends for it. The owner of the store went on to tell me he does not like Gibsons. Everyones entitled to their opinon. Except him, he told me they are made in a town called Usa, Korea.

I am pretty sure he is senile, but ya know, whatever.

And I think if you would rather buy a fake LP than an Epiphone (or any other legitimate company that makes Les Paul like guitars) you need to rethink why your buying it. "I want to rockout a fake to put the Gibson fanboys to shame". Not a good reason.

Currently gassing for a plain top Epi btw.

I've played many Epiphones, and own 2, a Les Paul Baritone, and a Emily the Strange SG, and that copy was made and setup(important) better from the factory than any of 'em.

• Members

I would much rather drop $400 on any one of the tons of LP-style guitars out there who are honest about their origin and honest about the name on the headstock.

Nothing against guitars made in China, but I'm not cool with the counterfeits.

• Members

I would much rather drop $400 on any one of the tons of LP-style guitars out there who are honest about their origin and honest about the name on the headstock.

Nothing against guitars made in China, but I'm not cool with the counterfeits.

And that's fine.

• Members

They can't be more fake... and they can't piss me off more.

Just curious, but why does that piss you off? Gibson stock?

I used to be a Fender guy till I realized what crap they put out.

I played imports for years, till I played a '71 335. Then I started looking for a Gibson. Bought a Gibson The Paul and wasn't impressed. Traded that for a Faded SG, which was much better. Then traded a Ibanez for a basket case '84 explorer, which I've restored to playable condition.

I just want guitars that play well, and sound good, and don't require a second mortgage.

• Members

They're not well liked on this forum and neither are the people that buy them or promote them. There are too many people using them to scam others into thinking they're real, too many innocent people - a lot of them young, getting burned, and they're blatantly illegal.

• Members

They're not well liked on this forum and neither are the people that buy them or promote them. There are too many people using them to scam others into thinking they're real, too many innocent people - a lot of them young, getting burned, and they're blatantly illegal.

Yeah, it isn't a fanboy club or anything, most of it is because of unscrupulous asshats trying to rip someone off. The Chinese stuff is pretty easy to spot on e-Bay when it is coming straight from China for $300, but a lot of these guitars are being flipped for Gibson prices.

It may not seem like a big deal because of Gibson losing money, but the poor schmuck who just saved up for 3 years to buy one and doesn't realize it until it is too late is the victim. I mean some of these fakes are good enough to fool a lot of casual musicians and if something happens to it three months later and tries to get it serviced and finds out that the headstock fell off because it is made from the craptree its too late to do anything. That seller has closed that account and moved on already.

And of course it is illegal as hell. I mean there is a huge market for LP copies out there. I don't see the need to completely break the last little bit of copyright protection that Gibson has other than to steal from them. I like deals and I like to save a buck, but wrong is wrong. I'd rather get lucky or get over than to be part of straight up thievery.

• Members

Yeah, it isn't a fanboy club or anything, most of it is because of unscrupulous asshats trying to rip someone off. The Chinese stuff is pretty easy to spot on e-Bay when it is coming straight from China for $300, but a lot of these guitars are being flipped for Gibson prices.

It may not seem like a big deal because of Gibson losing money, but the poor schmuck who just saved up for 3 years to buy one and doesn't realize it until it is too late is the victim. I mean some of these fakes are good enough to fool a lot of casual musicians and if something happens to it three months later and tries to get it serviced and finds out that the headstock fell off because it is made from the craptree its too late to do anything. That seller has closed that account and moved on already.

And of course it is illegal as hell. I mean there is a huge market for LP copies out there. I don't see the need to completely break the last little bit of copyright protection that Gibson has other than to steal from them. I like deals and I like to save a buck, but wrong is wrong. I'd rather get lucky or get over than to be part of straight up thievery.

I've gotten lucky over the years, but todays guitar market sucks for name brand guitars. If you want an authentic Gibson, buy it from Scam Ash, or Guitar Center, and get a legit Gibson.

If you want to save a few thousand dollars, and not buy Epiphone trash, look around on the internet, you can find some great stuff. BTW, Ebay is not the place to look for a bargain.

Archived