which les paul do i take home?

ilovemystrat

• Members

Well I like my Black 07 with the BB-ro and 498 set in it. may be the nicest LP I ever owned. Certainly not the prettiest or most expensive. But none the less.

I like and have owned both guitars your thinking about. I also like the Ceramic 496/500 set in the Classic. But I always pulled them from LPs and kept them in Flying Vs and Explorers. Just didn't sound right with the maple Cap to me.

If you are going to pull the pups? The BB-Pro's are expensive. Part of the reason I like the Standard.

I also like a choice between a 59 neck and a 60. I always go with the 59. So the Classics only come with 60 profiles.

• Members

This is a tough one..

For appearance I love black...but honey is probably more popular with most.

For my old back it is the chambered version purely for weight consideration.

For resale ? the Standard

If the classic has a pick guard - then it is out on that basis too.

I keep coming up standard for reasons that have nothing to do with tone... I recommend you get the one that you like the sound of....

• Members

This is a tough one..

For appearance I love black...but honey is probably more popular with most.

For my old back it is the chambered version purely for weight consideration.

For resale ? the Standard

If the classic has a pick guard - then it is out on that basis too.

I keep coming up standard for reasons that have nothing to do with tone... I recommend you get the one that you like the sound of....

it varies from time to time, sometime i liike the harshness of the ceramics sometimes i don't...

• Members

I own a few LPs today and NONE of them have a 60-profile neck. All three have the 59 profile. And the newer 07 and up have the new weight relief design which adds to the Tone IMO. My Studio is a 07

I've been playing my Black/Gold Studio 07 most. Its neck is superb and it very light and balanced. All I did was add a BB-Pro to the neck which is a Alnico V. It matchs Very Well with the 498 which is also a Alnico V.

MY LP-Classic was a 2000. I didn't bond with it? I chose it out of several Classics and thought I had a keeper. But upon bringing it home? It could not hold a candle to my US Hamers. Which are Mirage IIs and a Artist Custom

Now the newer LPs with BB-Pro's, and the larger neck option? Seem to be right up my alley. They changed my opinion of Gibson LPs in general and get plenty of play now. A/Bd next to my Hamer Mirage IIs? They are a close match now. Id still take the Hamers first? But they are much better IMO [2002 and up LPs]

But give them a go yourself. You may really like the thinner 60 neck? Some like the Ceramic pick-ups? If not sell themand buy what you like?

But if i had 2G to spend on a LP today? Id buy the HIGHLY FIGURED MAPLE NECK STANDARD. It comes with a Natural Quilt Maple Top and a set of BB-Pro's. Very Nice STANDARD.

Check it out?

Or even a Faded Standard? Can't beat them for the price?

Archived